Profile for Moonflower > Reviews

Content by Moonflower

Moonflower "Everyday Jo" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Real English Grammar: Intermediate to Upper Intermediate
Real English Grammar: Intermediate to Upper Intermediate
by Hester Lott

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little gem, 17 July 2010
I am a native English speaker and about to take on a CELTA course. As part of my preparation, I had a list of recommended books to read on grammar. Now, my grammar is pretty awful generally, especially my language awareness. So although I remember that a verb is a 'doing' word anything like 'Preposition' would totally throw me off!
So, this is my 3rd book that I am reviewing that I came across by accident and is NOT on my recommended reading list. What a surprise it was too!
This book has helped me not only refine my own English usage but provides VERY real and practical examples of grammar use. Both training teachers and students would find this book useful to learn/teach English.
It contains the following structure:
- A double spread explaining a grammatical term with useful examples. The way it is explained is very straight forward.
- A double spread of illustrated questions in varying styles based on what you just learnt.
This book is perfect if you want students to follow and read aloud. The sections are well organised so you can read, practice and ask questions on each one before going onto the next.
It doesn't cover everything BUT it does cover the basics and it does so in a clearly laid out way. Terms are easy to find and the exercises are stimulating as well as well thought out and varying.
The illustrations make this book comical to read so I do actually enjoy reading about grammar which is unusual since the other grammar books make it feel like a chore.
This book provides a good foundation to base your grammatical knowledge on. I would then progress onto more advanced intermediate books to make sure you cover the more complex grammar.
Overall I am well impressed with this book, it achieves something with simplicity with an element of fun using REAL life examples (not ones dated back in ye old English times). Just how learning should be!

English Grammar In Use with Answers: A Self-study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Students of English (Grammar in Use)
by Raymond Murphy

2.0 out of 5 stars Book full of worksheets, 17 July 2010
So, this is my 1st book that I am reviewing from my list.
I have to say I was very disappointed with this one. What I mean is, this is not very useful for those about to be teachers of English though perhaps useful for those ALREADY teaching English. I can also see how it would benefit learners of English.

Therefore, I would only recommend this book to students and progressing CELTA or TESOL teachers.

The book is basically composed of one side brief examples of a grammatical item then on the next page some questions for you to try. That is it. That is literally the whole book back to back. It does not explain what a past tense is for example in enough detail for you to translate onto a student. It literally assumes you have that knowledge and for you to use the exercises to brush up on your knowledge.
So as a grammar book for teachers, yes if you are already teaching as you can copy some of the questions for worksheets. This book is literally worksheet heaven!

Practical English Usage (3rd Edition)
Practical English Usage (3rd Edition)
by Michael Swan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference but not the most practical or ideal, 17 July 2010
I am a native English speaker and have obtained a grade A from a CELTA and DELTA course. As part of my preparation, I had a list of recommended books to read on grammar. Most new ESL teachers usually are not an complete expert with English to begin with. So to fine tune their grammar, some suggested books are given to aid to help improve their teaching; this was one of books recommended.

This is a hard book to digest and not meant to be used as an aid to refresh your grammar. It is a very comprehensive and text heavy textbook. It's mostly a language reference book for terms you may not have covered in class.

The book is very large, about 690 pages long so by default this is a reference book. If you're thinking of taking one on your travels, this is not recommended for practical reasons.

The way the book is structured is rather broken up and it tries to cram things together before simplifying them first. It jumps around a bit and can be quite confusing.
For example:

present perfect 423-425
progressive (continuous) verb forms 470-472
...
etc.

Particularly for verb tenses or complex items, it would have been good if there were some diagrams or illustrations (though there a few tree diagrams to illustrate what each word is in a sentence structure later on). I know many students would benefit from this.

I have read a few grammar books now and I find the best ones to prepare you for a CELTA or TESOL course are those ones which can not only illustrate an answer but also apply it to real spoken English. It's all very well to recite passages from books if they want to but then it's not entirely useful for the student. Again, reinforces my earlier point that this is a reference book and does not 'teach'.

If you're clueless about your grammar, this book is probably not structured enough to guide you through it. However, it can be used as a book to brush up on your grammar with. I found the best way was to use it for alternative explanations to other grammar books I'm currently using for perspective.

As a teacher I no longer use this book during my past years of teaching . For casual teachers travelling the world with limited time, you are better off using the internet or getting a more general and downsized grammar book. For learners of English Language who are intermediate to expert, this could be useful to have if you don't like using the internet as another point of reference.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2016 11:23 AM BST

Living and Working in Australia: A Survival Handbook
Living and Working in Australia: A Survival Handbook
by David Hampshire

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful to get started on your research, 10 April 2010
I am thinking about moving to Australia for a year to work there. This book I found quite insightful into Australia's culture, ideas and their government structure.
It tells you things like the working environment, attitudes, what to look out for when finding accommodation and which parts of Australia are good for certain types of jobs. There is also some information summarising Australia's complicated visa system (though it has changed recently so check their website as well to be updated).
Generally I can see this book being helpful more so for those looking to migrate there. It is quite thorough but a handy backpack size.
It is definitely one of the better books/guides out there for those looking to travel in Australia and want to know about basic living stuff before going.
It is a lifestyle guide and not a tourist guide so if you're looking for places to visit - this isn't for that but if you wanted to find out about your working rights for instance, it's useful!

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! Best workout DVD I own!, 10 April 2010
Update: It's a year on and I am still using this DVD regularly as part of my routine. I am now a size 10/12 (I lose weight very slowly but I am doing it safely and healthily and because it comes off slowly, it means it stays off for longer if I should have 2 weeks of overeating such as at Christmas! I mean ladies, I can gorge on chocolate for 2 weeks and still look the same so as long as I go back to eating well again afterwards!)
I am a fit and healthy person, I workout and run and swim 4-5 times a week and I still find this DVD moderately challenging. It's great to do on a rainy day or if you want to slip a quick 20min workout in the morning because you know you won't have time later to do it. For days where I want variety, I would do level 1,2 and 3 together in a row for a brilliant and intense 50min workout (skipping the level2+3 warm ups). If you eat well too then this will further speed your weight loss and benefit your health (Some suggestions - Breakfast: Oats or Wholemeal toast with tuna mixed with coriander yogurt| Lunch: Hummus, pitta, carrots or bean wraps (keep it light) or soups or salads | Dinner: make it wholesome and consist of some sort of wholegrain, fresh veg and lean protein e.g. brown rice with steamed carrots, avocado's, spinach and lentils with coriander & cumin | Snacks: Fruit (I esp love grapes/berries/pineapple/mango/kiwi), nuts & seeds, hummus with carrots, dried figs/apricots/raisins - dried dates and figs are great too to replace chocolate cravings).

Original posting:

I've been doing so many workout DVD's and this is one of my favourites.

It's tough but it works and you get results quick!
It is split into 3 levels - beginner/intermediate/expert (level 1,2,3)

I am quite advanced on fitness and wanted to 'shred' my size 14 to a 12 and I have done so after doing this DVD for 3 months(along eating 3 healthy meals a day with 2 moderate sized snacks).

I increased my intensity by doing level 2 and 3 together 5 times a week (lasts about 50mins in total) and rested on the weekends. I ached all over for the first 2 weeks but I also felt my body change.

This works!! Jillian has obviously researched the hardest and most effective routines for fat burning and toning and she has put all together in this enjoyable workout! Jillian knows what works and this workout encourages muscle building as you workout which burns up more calories the fitter and stronger you get which is why you must keep pushing yourself every couple of months or so to keep your body challenged and changing!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2010 1:44 PM GMT

30 Day Shred [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
30 Day Shred [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and gives results, 5 Feb. 2009
I've been doing so many workout DVD's and this is one of my favourites.

It's tough but it works and you get results quick!

Charlie Brooks: Before and After Workout [DVD] [2005]
Charlie Brooks: Before and After Workout [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Charlie Brooks
Offered by 247dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly generic and too basic, 5 Feb. 2009
Now this is good for absolute beginners so this review is for those already quite fit and looking for workouts to add to their routine (usually for variety).

I found the first Disco part too easy, my heart barely raised and all I was doing was stepping about and tryng to learn the moves. When I mastered the moves, they became very repetitive.

The boxing part is pretty good though, but again I was bored.
Same applied to the hi-intensity part - all the moves in this DVD were repeated far too many times. You really need to not be awake in the mornings to care to do this DVD.

I can see how this would benefit those first starting out. Ladies bigger than a 14 would benefit from this if you've never done much exercise. If you're moderately fit size 14 and smaller, it really won't be challenging enough.

I think the fact that Charlie probably had a poor diet to start with meant losing weight was down to mostly eating a healthy diet. So this workout works well with those trying to be healthy for the first time.

However, for beginners I wouldn't recommend this DVD as it is not a thorough workout. Best beginner to intermediate is Davina's Power of 3. It has the easy options and the harder options combined so it is value for money and I still use it even now for when I want a more gentle exercise whilst ill or tired/sore from another workout days ago.

Coleen Mcloughlin: Brand New Body Workout [DVD]
Coleen Mcloughlin: Brand New Body Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Coleen Mcloughlin
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all over, 5 Feb. 2009
This is a suprisingly tough workout!

Coleen is obviously more strong than fit. You really won't burn as much fat doing this DVD as it's focused on a lot of toning and strength moves.
The cardio is average and gets your heart going a bit.
But where it really shines is the strength and core and your abdominals.

So this is a great toning DVD with some cardio to burn a little fat at the same time.

If you've lost a little weight already and want to tone up fast, this is the next DVD for you. Muscle building will also allow you to burn more calories naturally so you will continue to maintain your weightloss with this DVD as you tone.

Nell McAndrew - Cardio, Core And Stretch [DVD] [2008]
Nell McAndrew - Cardio, Core And Stretch [DVD] [2008]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but very repetitive, 5 Feb. 2009
This is my first Nell McAndrew workout and it is quite advanced. I have been using Davina's for about 2 years and thought to try out other DVD's for comparison.

I did this workout start to finish, it is tough on the knees as there are lots of jumping on the spot (so bad if you have neighbours!) and the moves are repeated at least 5 times throughout the workout.

The warm up seems to take forever (it's about 8mins) because it was slow. Then first part is a 30 minute cardio. It's lots of arm waving and jumping on the spot and hopping but variations of it. Because of the lack of imagination with the routine, I got easily bored and it felt like I'd been doing it for an hour - however I was sweating and tired by the end, at times I had to slow down (and I would say I am at advanced fitness level).

The core and stretch is integrated which is pretty good. It works your tummy muscles a treat and very tough. It lasts about 20 minutes altogether.

I do find the instructor rather annoying, he is always talking because the moves are done for not long but they are repeated often. The music is some sort of funky trance dance which doesn't get me going at all. I find the routine lacks in friendliness and it is very repetitive. Although tough, I didn't find this enjoyable so I doubt I'd been running home to do it again.

In summary, this is a good cardio and core workout but you'll be bored by the end of it and want to revert back to your favourite DVD's again. Due to way it's structured, you can't break up the routine, you will have to do the whole thing so not good if you have less time.

I recommend the following workouts which I find fun and really works your whole body:

Beginners:

- Davina's High Energy 5
- Ministry of Sound Pump it up - The Ultimate Workout
- Billy Banks Tae Bo Ultamite

Advanced:
- Coleen McLoughin's Brand New Workout(esp for toning)
- Davina Super Body Workout
- Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred (My favourite routine: do level 2 & 3 as one workout or do level2 with one of Davina's Super Workouts - very effective!)

PacSafe 120 Secure Backpack & Bag Protector
PacSafe 120 Secure Backpack & Bag Protector
Offered by EStore99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says, 8 Dec. 2008
I used this for several festivals over the summer and it's never let me down. You can hook it anyway you like to your tent and it's never broke or been broken into. This gives a piece of mind as you're out partying drunk at a tent miles away. We put all our booze, bog rolls and stuff like that in the net. The good thing about this is that if you pack enough heavy items into it, it's extremely difficult to cut off and 2 to carry away somewhere else without looking like an idiot by knocking someone's tent down!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 8:10 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4