Profile for brystanners21 > Reviews

Tis The Season
Tis The Season
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, 27 May 2014
I have been really worried about putting Bosch on screen. I am up to 'Nine Dragons' in a re-reading of the whole cannon - I believe Michael Connelly to be still under-rated and too often grouped with his contemporaries. Unjust, he is classic - visual sense remarkable, often very moving, underpinned with a philosophy which is bleak but finally optimistic. Harry is always somehow hopeful and it is all so timeless.
I think this is a promising pilot. Welliver has the potential to be brilliant casting - for me he is too available in the personal exchanges (but this is only a pilot and everyone is a little bit too eager) but this will ease with confidence. Almost everyone else is pretty damn good too and, for me, had the right images and slightly period delivery (please emphasise enunctiation to all concerned). I hope the blending of two books does not presage a continual shortening of available material, but this works very well. Only Bosch's house disappointed - internally fine (music brilliant but not credited to individual musicians, please correct), but the exterior surely must have a deck at the rear with view, rather than what seemed to be a smart and accessible front porch and deck.
However please let it run and run.

A Good Man in Africa
A Good Man in Africa
by William Boyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and hilarious early Boyd, 2 April 2013
This review is from: A Good Man in Africa (Paperback)
I must begin by confessing to being a huge fan of William Boyd, who is, unjustly, not always placed in the very top flight of British authors. 'Any Human Heart' was my introduction to his work, swiftly followed by 'The New Confessions'. I have now bought a number of his earlier works and began with 'A Good Man In Africa'. I toured West Africa in 1970, on occasion being hosted and befriended by members of the High Commission and the ex-pat communities. Boyd unsurprisingly captures perfectly the atmospheres I remember, and there are early echoes of the extraordinary character development of his later books. Morgan Leafy is no Logan Mountstuart, but his attempts to survive the catastrophes of his temptations, his conditioning, and the isolation of this little community, are very funny, and Boyd takes you alongside him in his uniquely brilliant way. The book is an ironical indictment of mutual exploitation and corruption, and somehow in the midst of it all, the moral rectitude of one character is inspirational. My only problem was the ending which feels truncated, lacking the careful completion and rounding off I had anticipated.

Any Human Heart
Any Human Heart
by William Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Life without Logan, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Any Human Heart (Paperback)
Just wasn't quite the same. William Boyd's marvellous story of Logan Mountstuart is very funny (everyone I know who has read it has adopted 'cauc' into their vocabulary), historically fascinating with a number of famous figures seamlessly absorbed into the narrative, and extremely moving. It was the first of his works I read and I am now working through the cannon. Highly recommended.

Roberts Sound38 CD/DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with CD Bookmark
Roberts Sound38 CD/DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with CD Bookmark
Offered by Smart Electricals Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the aerial, 21 Nov. 2012
I gave this as a present to a close friend who needs to wake up in an insistent but pleasant manner. We tried it at my house and it was fantastic - really lovely tone for a small thing, the tuning is easy, and most of the controls simple to manage.
However when she took it home the reception was more problematic and the position of the aerial crucial. Unlike my excellent Roberts Ecologic 4 which boasts a telescopic aerial, this model has a bit of wire. My friend has attached it to a stick which has worked when it is propped up, but it does seem a shame my present doesn't function well without this improvisation.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 12:26 AM GMT

Martha's Vineyard: A Greek mystery.
Martha's Vineyard: A Greek mystery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely charming debut, 18 Sept. 2012
I agree with another reviewer about the presentation of this book. The layout and punctuation are curious - it does feel like a self-printed work. There are also indulgences which a good editor and publisher would have seen to - the long italicised 'short story' I skipped - mostly because I was by this time intrigued by the story. It is a page turner, with a good plot, and a genuine feeling for Greece (I lived there for nine years until recently). A pleasant holiday read, which is exactly what our protagonist hoped for.