Profile for Mrs. R. Thomas > Reviews

The Accidental Husband
The Accidental Husband
by Jane Green

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 May 2013
This review is from: The Accidental Husband (Paperback)
While I enjoyed this book very much, I found myself twice being frustrated by the author bringing quintessential British words into an American novel ('arse' being one such example. Really? Spoken in a novel totally set in the USA said by an American character? Really? Surely that particular word needs an extra 's' and no 'r' or 'e'. Sloppy editing people...).
The premise of the underlying story isn't unrealistic however how the storyline plays out is a little to clean-cut for my liking. Rushed in places, totally skipped over in others. Maybe the author could have arrived at the ending over a series of books rather than getting there in one? Having said that, this book is good and I would definitely read it again.

Maine
Maine
by J. Courtney Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-downable, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Maine (Paperback)
What started as a slightly slow burn read rapidly accelerated to the extend i had to force myself to stop skipping sentences in a bid to race ahead and devour more and more of this lovely book. I couldn't put it down and, as many other reviewers have also noted, I simply didn't want it to end. The characters, situations, homes, lives, social events... Everything is described so vividly and in keeping with the respective timelines. There is a great deal knitted together here but never does anything feel glossed over or skimpily constructed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and heartily recommend it. If this were to become a series of novels then I would certainly be back for more.

Running Scared: The Life and Treacherous Times of Las Vegas Casino King Steve Wynn
by John L. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard going read, 14 Oct. 2008
I found this book quite a hard going read. It is very factual but not particularly well put together. It missed something that I can't quite put my finger on... but it definitely needed some finessing along the way. Kudos to the author for getting it published though. What this book reveals about Steve Wynn, while not partcularly flattering, is not that much of a shock either. To be a player in Vegas (rising to become the biggest player of current times some would argue) at the time when everything really started to take off for Mr Wynn, largely wouldn't have been possible without a little 'alternative' intervention. I really wanted to be engulfed by this book, to be totally swept up and captivated while reading it. Unfortunately I found myself struggling to pick it up not struggling to put it down.

Try 'Double or nothing. How two friends risked it all to buy one of Las Vegas legendary casinos' by Tom Breitling or any of the Vegas books by Ben Mezrich if you are looking for a more entertaining read.

Other People's Love Letters: 150 Letters You Were Never Meant to See
Other People's Love Letters: 150 Letters You Were Never Meant to See
by Bill Shapiro

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, 28 Jan. 2008
This is an outstanding book that make me laugh, made me smile and made me sob. Some of the letters in this book are just heart-breaking. Some of the letters are quirky, others are just for fun. There is a 'what happened next' section at the back of the book that explains what happened after some of the love letters were given. Without giving any of the book's secrets away, all I can say is that this is one of the most beautiful books I have ever owned and had the pleasure of reading. I literally couldn't put it down.
Buy this book. You will not be disappointed.

Playing Away
Playing Away
by Adele Parks

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive content..... contrived prose on times, 15 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Playing Away (Paperback)
The premise of the book is unflinchingly true to life, the characters are solid and I was captivated enough to stay up until 3am to finish the book in one sitting.

The 3 star rating I have given this book is purely based on the repetitive nature of some points (I lost count how many times the venue All Bar One is mentioned *yawn*) and oftentimes the prose is trite to say the least.

Would it stop me reading any other books by the author? Probably not but it was kind of frustrating.

Choc Treats Sig Vert Note Card (Potter Style)
Choc Treats Sig Vert Note Card (Potter Style)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite note cards, 7 Feb. 2006
These note-cards are absolutely exquisite. The quality is exceptional and the designs mouth-watering. I originally bought a set of these note-cards in the now-defunct Women of the Union shop in Boston and I have been using these note-cards very sparingly ever since. I was thrilled to stumble upon them on Amazon and will be placing an order for some more imminently.
Everything from the giftbox the note-cards live in right down to the envelopes is perfect.

The Feng Shui Junkie
The Feng Shui Junkie
by Brian Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars this is one disillusioned author..., 29 Oct. 2000
This review is from: The Feng Shui Junkie (Hardcover)
The book is actually quite good, I did laugh, I nearly cried and, for once, actually got whipped up by the suspense. I could hardly wait for the confrontation: the plot has certainly given me some new thoughts on revenge!!! The thing that troubles me is the complete lack of authenticity regarding the psyche of the characters. The author is so blatantly male, it worries me that there actually men out there that still think that women can't read a map...The characters are WAY too stereotypical... The dialogue between husband and wife and the relationship between husband and mother-in-law are straight out of really bad English t.v! Borrow this book one day and try to see past the points above.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2012 11:06 AM BST

Nimrod (U.S. Version)
Nimrod (U.S. Version)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars achingly good, 5 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Nimrod (U.S. Version) (Audio CD)
'good riddance' is one of the quintessential songs of the 90's indie scene and together with smells like teen spirit <nirvana>, this feeling <pure essence>, self esteem <the offspring> and song 2 <blur>, realy kicks ass. If you don't have this album already, go buy it!