Profile for Damian Regan > Reviews

OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Versions 4.3
OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Versions 4.3
by Dave Shreiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book - Money Well Spent, 28 Aug 2013
I just received my copy of this book today and I must say I'm impressed.

I have a fairly strong background in C/C++ but have not really done any computer graphics work and I am currently trying to learn Java, OpenGL and JOGL all at once for a large cross-platform project. I bought this book really expecting to have my work cut out for me in applying the techniques and code samples in Java; I couldn't have been more wrong. In the first day, I have pushed through three and a bit chapters of this book and have all the source code samples so far working in Java without GLUT (albeit with a bit of Googling for JOGL info). Side note: for those that don't want to use GLUT, it is easy enough to remove. The book only uses that for OS-specific stuff like windows and event handling to make the code samples smaller and more portable. All the OpenGL info is still there.

The topics are presented in a logical order and explained well, and from skimming through the rest of the book it looks like pretty much everything I need is in this one book. I already feel like I am on my way to becoming a decent graphics programmer, because the book is helping me to actually *understand* what I'm doing and what is going on behind the scenes rather than just throwing code at me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an in-depth yet easy to read reference and tutorial on modern graphics programming. The only reason I'm giving four stars rather than five is that as of this writing the full source code is apparently still not available :(