Profile for Nick Green > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Time Traveler's Apprentice
The Time Traveler's Apprentice

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but...., 24 Dec. 2012
I enjoyed reading this book but there are some issues like being able to speak to and understand someone from England in the time period it's set in. In other scifi this is enable by technology but the method of time travel is apparently technology free. I won't be reading any sequels.

One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Where does he get it from, 24 Dec. 2012
Jasper continues to amaze me with the Book World he has invented. The strangeness of a a 'real world' where there are no planes but maglev trains. The concepts in the book world that he pushes to the very edge of "now your just being silly". I really think these books are in a genre all of their own (their own island?). This story is a liitle different from the rest because it focuses on the witten Thursday but I still enjoyed it.

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me even though it was free, 16 Aug. 2012
To me this read like a draft screen play for a TV series. The concept of nearly everyone disappearing is interesting as is the nature of the disappearances not being the same everywhere. The construction and writing is not the best; there is not enough time spent on each character before introducing another so the reader doesn't have time to build a mental image and lock it in place before they are assailed with a new one. If it was a TV program it would work because you would have the visuals to fill in the 'narrative'. Just because everyone has disappeared doesn't make it science fiction just as Lost wasn't science fiction in fact I'm not sure what genre I would put it in. As I've said in other reviews the key to any story for me is whether I care what happens to the characters and I don't - interesting but not enough for me to continue with the series.

Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2)
Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope Book 3 isn't too far away, 16 Aug. 2012
Since my favourite author (Asimov)died I struggled for sometime to find replacements Neal Asher is one of them. The key to good science fiction for me is story first, science second and Neal tells a good story but then backs it up with credible science. I look forward to the last in the series and wonder which of two directions the story will go.

Shades of Grey
Shades of Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars An odd story that needs some effort from the reader, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Shades of Grey (Kindle Edition)
This is the first of Jasper's books that I have read and it was recommended by my son. It isn't, initially, an easy read whilst you come to terms with the concepts of this society. Leaps Backwards prohibiting certain technologies are reminiscent of communist 5 year plans but people try and find a work around. It has some similarities to the Orwellian 1984 rigid party based society, school dinner monitors and other jobsworth pettiness. My measure of a good 'story' is whether I begin to care about what happens to the main characters and in this one I did. Jasper doesn't explain somethings (yet?) but leaves the reader to formulate their own ideas about what might have happened. Some of the concepts around colour truly original and I want to know how it all came about when "something happened". I can't wait for the next in the series to be available on Kindle.

Kinesis
Kinesis

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read - I recommend it., 19 July 2012
This review is from: Kinesis (Kindle Edition)
Too many sci-fi stories focus on the science or the science of the idea rather than the story. This is essentially a detective story that involves an unusual sci-fi twist. I believe some of the lower scores are perhaps a little super critical. Whether the version I have has been revised to remove the typos mentioned or perhaps I was too interested in the story to notice grammatical errors. I have recently bought a number of low priced stories and been very disappointed (one author even felt the need to rebut my poor review and explain the parts of the story I'd missed!)

This is the other end of the spectrum and I will be keeping an eye out for other stories by Ethan. I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say the ending does leave an opening for Kinesis II.

Book of Secrets
Book of Secrets

1.0 out of 5 stars Genre which one - it's not Sci-Fi, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Book of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
Five stars - was I reading a different book? I have a thing about books once you start you have to finish but I must admit this was a real struggle. The stories within the story were pointless. Wandering off into various mythologies meant lots of skim reading because they added nothing to the story; then the end branching of into some premise about angels. Perhaps this should have been in the religious section because it's not Sci-Fi and I wouldn't call it thrilling. Save yourself the time and buy something else - this isn't worth reading.

Further: Beyond the Threshold
Further: Beyond the Threshold

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concepts but fails on delivery, 11 July 2012
Oh dear! There are some good ideas in the book but spoilt by some writer issues. Why must some authors create names for characters that cannot be deciphered so the reader wastes time trying to sort out what there name is. Chris' Hindu mythology may be correct but his science is off "with the stars before us shrunk almost to a single red point, the stars behind a small cluster of blue." Sorry Chris star moving away are red shifted so the ones behind are red and the ones in front blue! If there is a sequel I don't think I'll be reading it.

The Whispers of Eris (Chronicles of The Collapse Book 3)
The Whispers of Eris (Chronicles of The Collapse Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much recapping, 11 July 2012
Again this is a good story and well written. I was pleased that I had guessed right as to why the world had changed the way it had. I felt that the first part of the book was padded a little too much with recaps of the previous books but still enjoyed it. I look forward to the next in the series to finding out Cara's "back story" and who Colonel Mike Ryerson works for.

The Fires of Ares (Chronicles of The Collapse Book 2)
The Fires of Ares (Chronicles of The Collapse Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Some unnecessary twists, 11 July 2012
I read this straight after Pandora's Highway because I enjoyed the first part of the series. A good story with twists and turns although some of the "action" I felt was a little unnecessary to the overall story but still and enjoyable read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6