Profile for Frank Cottrell Boyce > Reviews

Content by Frank Cottrell...

Frank Cottrell Boyce (Liverpool)

Wives and Daughters
Wives and Daughters

4.0 out of 5 stars Heloise age 14, 14 Dec. 2014
The tw problems i had with this book are :
1. i didn't know that there was no edding.(however now i like it as it means i can make up my own)
2.it is quite hard to get into.but i found out that the trick is to start it from when Molly is grown up (chapter4?) and then go back and read it after you've finished the book
other then that it's amazing and i would defietly recamend it to anyone

Hungry, the Stars and Everything
Hungry, the Stars and Everything
by Emma Jane Unsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly a book appeared, 15 Dec. 2012
I have no idea how this book got into my house. It was on the windowsill for about a week then someone put it on my bedside table. There are a lot of people in my house but no one seemed to know anything about this book. Then rushing for the train I picked up my copy of Fathers and Sons to read on the train but when I got onto the train it turned out not to be Turgenev but Emma Jane Unsworth. I can't think of a higher compliment than to say it was a great substitute. Funny and magical by turns. It's the story of a restaurant that appears out of nowhere and produces inexplicably lovely food. This book appeared out of nowhere and is packed with inexplicably beautiful sentences, meaty thoughts, exquisite metaphors and zesty twists.

Totally Wired: On the Trail of the Great dotcom Swindle
Totally Wired: On the Trail of the Great dotcom Swindle
by Andrew Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential and Thrilling, 20 Sept. 2012
Andrew Smith wrote that brilliant book - Moondust - which reminded us of the wonder of the Apollo programme. This book does the same for a much more recent technological miracle - the internet. Browsers, websites, email and messaging are so much part of our lives now that it's disorientating to realise how recently they were invented. It's amusing and thought-provoking to be reminded what life was like before and what the "internet" looked like before browsers. I'd completely forgotten about compuserve and AOL. I'd never even heard of Josh Harris. Smith paints a vivid, engaging portrait of a gigantic, contradictory, infuriating character who helped create the present.
A brilliant, funny, important book.

How Kirsty Jenkins Stole the Elephant
How Kirsty Jenkins Stole the Elephant
by Elen Caldecott

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Funny, 22 Aug. 2009
What a fresh, surprising book, like a mash up of the Secret Garden and the Lavender Hill mob. Kirsty herself is one of the most likable and engaging heroines I've come across.

Andraste's Hair (Salt Modern Poets)
Andraste's Hair (Salt Modern Poets)
by Eleanor Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars stars are stags, 2 Aug. 2007
I love the meaty, muscularity of the poems in this collection. It's not often you read something engaged with urban life that is intense and personal, rather than sociological and fasionable. I caught the boat to Ireland from Liverpool recently and found myself remembering big chunks of the river poem as we chugged ast the harbour bar.