Profile for Stufromthequays > Reviews

Just Add Magic
Just Add Magic
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show ever (according to my daughter), 19 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Just Add Magic (Amazon Video)
My nearly 5 year old (going on 25) has just asked me to tell everyone that this is 'the best show ever', and if there isn't another season she's going to sulk. Forever.

Dad enjoyed it too - interesting storylines, excellent acting from all 3 lead teens and the supporting cast.

Good stuff, roll on season 2!

Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield
Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., 8 Jan. 2012
I bought this as I'm a fan of Mr Oldfields music, but his reclusive nature has meant that I didn't know much about the man, and I was fascinated to learn about his creative process.

I did find some informative stuff on the latter, but kind of wish I hadn't had bothered with the former.

Thing is, Mr Oldfield comes across as a humourless, self important, bitter miserablist - and as the book unfolded it just kept getting worse and worse. Yes, I get that he is a manic depressive, but seriously? Tracing his problems back to an incident in school when a girl slapped him for no reason? Boo hoo. Blaming his father for having to get up and leave the house to help people (as a doctor)? Spoilt little brat. 107 pages of this guff before we get to his first album? C'mon Mike - man up.

Once we get to the interesting stuff (y'know - MUSIC) the style settles down, and other than the constant new age rhubarb and ultra self importance (please, no more with the I'm not a musician I'm a cosmic mood conduit stuff), it's really, really interesting. Unfortunately we've wasted half the book by this point, to the point where his post 'moonlight shadow' work is condensed down into a few pages, as if he can't be bothered to discuss his music in detail, other than 'tubular bells'.

This is a real shame, as I REALLY enjoyed the sections about his music, and would happily have traded 30 more pages of that for the first half of the book.

One for himself - maybe next time he could write something less cathartic and more interesting... But then, I got the feeling that this book was more about getting things out of his system than anything else. Just a shame he couldn't do it in a way that would make himself look more of a sympathetic human being.