Profile for S. Whiteley > Reviews

Content by S. Whiteley

S. Whiteley "thesilverfox" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Road Uphill
The Road Uphill
Dvd ~ Paul Thiltges

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Road Uphill (DVD)
Occasional sub-titles, not a problem unless you like things 'spoon-fed'. This is one of the best cycling documentaries i've ever seen, beautifully shot and edited, it reveals the true 'war' that is the Tour De France. It gives a rare insight into the fear, courage and determination it takes to win the world's greatest sporting challenge - a boxing match has nothing on it. Watch and wonder.

Gear4 Halo 2 Alarm Clock Docking Station Compatible with iPhone 4, 4S, iPod Nano 5th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars App Makes it Try Awful, 31 Dec 2012
Bought this thinking that I could easily synchronise my iphone with the alarm clock. In order to do this you need to download an app with one fatal flaw - if you accidentally press the home button at any point after the alarm is set - the alarm does not go off - i don't mean close the app, even with the app running 'in the background the alarm doesn't go off! Crazy. So, you get a text late at night, press the home button, return to device - you will miss your flight, your work or whatever else you've got planned. If you just want an iphone speaker then it is good but if you are looking for more forget it. This is similar to another Gear4 experience I've has - great hardware but monkeys working making the software, they seem incapable of keeping up with apple.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 6:37 PM BST

ForeFront Cases® New iPad Mini Leather Case Cover / Stand For New APPLE IPAD MINI / New Generation iPad mini with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function (BLACK)
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - great price, 29 Nov 2012
Hard back, soft front - everything fits well. Magnetic cover works without slipping and accidentally turning on your iPad. Case folds back in such a way as to give you a 'handle' away from the screen when reading which prevents accidental page turns. Also the front is 'blinded' so you can fold it up into a triangle and use as a stand when watching films. Overall, great product - will see how it wears!

Apple iPhone 5 - 16GB Black - SIM Free
Apple iPhone 5 - 16GB Black - SIM Free
Offered by GameCyberShop

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth an upgrade from a 4S, 3 Oct 2012
In my view if the iphone 5 had come first then the form factor of the 4 would have been seen as a progression. I ordered this phone and am now returning it. The speed is no different compared to the 4s (on low load apps, like browsing etc), only when you get to more intense processing does it take over. I'm not a big games player so don't really need the extra speed. The camera isn't much of an improvement, if any. You can get the same ios on the 4s. The build looks a bit more fragile than the 4s - wouldn't like to drop the black one, the black edges seem to dent to white on some of the tests.

All in all - a little disappointing but glad to save the money because the 4S is a classic

Apple 11-inch MacBook Air (Intel Dual Core i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 64GB Flash Memory, HD Graphics 4000, OS X Lion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Laptop Ever Owned, 3 Oct 2012
I have had PC's for as long as I can remember - mainly laptops and mainly 13" or less. Have gone from dell latitudes to expensive sony vaio's and back again. I can honestly say this is the best machine I've ever used, the SSD makes it lightning quick and can handle most things I throw at it, even photo editing. I also have a 2011 Macbook Pro from work but the Air seems way faster due to the SSD.

The build is pretty bomb proof, sat on it with the screen open and not a mark. You can also hook it up to a large monitor 27" thunderbolt display (or other) and it handles it very easily. The speed for such a small machine is amazing.

If you can afford the extra, I would by-pass the iPad - with the 11" Air there are very few advantages to an iPad unless you like to play games. The Air is just as portable and you don't have to struggle typing.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 2 [DVD]
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stewart Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterclass in Comedy, 2 Jan 2012
You can tell from the off that Steward Lee is a time-served master of his art. I found this whole series hilarious - I watched some of it on my own and had tears streaming down my face, I usually need people around me to laugh that hard. I can see why people don't get it - if your favourite comedian is Al Murray or Michael McIntyre it might just pass you by. In 20 years though I can see how these comedians might seem as funny as Frank Carson or Stan Boardman do now. However, I think Stewart Lee has an eye on the future of comedy, more subtle, less obvious- to a point when you can't actually explain what is so funny as Lee repeatedly hits at your subconscious funny bone - this is the genius of Lee.

Diamond Mine
Diamond Mine

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate marmite, but I love this, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Diamond Mine (Audio CD)
This is music you could die to, if you have half a folk sensibility it will suck you in and not let you go for some time. Grab a glass of red, crank up the fire regardless of cost, sit back and enjoy. Brilliant!

Sean Lock - Live [DVD]
Sean Lock - Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Lock
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Genius - The Funniest Comedian in the UK, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sean Lock - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this with my 16 year old step-son and we both nearly died laughing. Granted, I had just returned from the pub but I find Sean Lock extremely funny sober as well. His crazy abstract thinking makes him a cut above other UK comedians. If you like Stan Boardman or you can't ween yourself off Michael McIntyre then it may not be for you. But I think its wonderful stuff!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars it's so simple, it's boring, 1 Dec 2010
I used to have such fun with my Nokia E72, it used to crash, nokia music store was the most awful thing ever conceived, I couldn't sync with itunes, the camera had a lot of pixels but was rubbish - the windows software was even worse.......the whole thing used to keep me entertained for hours.......

I then purchased the iPhone 4 - it just works the way it should - copy and paste is easy, photos are great, hd video works a treat, web browsing is a synch, I even Airplay my photos to my Apple TV.......it never crashes....

If you're a techy who enjoys the intricate day to day hassles which make technology so much fun, please stay clear of this product, you'll turn to stone within a week....
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2011 10:57 AM GMT

Declaration
Declaration

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Gem, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Declaration (Audio CD)
I first heard The Alarm Declaration when I was 12 and have never really stopped listening to it and now I'm 38!. Rolling Stone magazine called this album 'brilliant' and I would not disagree. There have been a lot of musical comparisons between The Alarm and U2, but I've never really seen it myself, probably cos I was listening to The Alarm before U2.
I always found this album strange and haunting and still highly original, there hasn't really been anything even similar in my opinion; first world war, american war of independence, death, afterlife, morality, punk, cowboys, religion, working class, folk, country - it is undefinable. Like all great albums though it is a not just a collection of singles but a total world in itself.

If you only buy one Alarm album get this one, all the albums which followed this whilst being good to ok never really captured this raw brilliance. By the end of the 80's The Alarm were all but on the rocks, they started out with the passion and fire of The Jam and ended up like errrrr, well, ......U2, only without the patronising deepness and global dominance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3