Profile for S. Whiteley > Reviews

Content by S. Whiteley

S. Whiteley "thesilverfox" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Studio MX Upgrade from 2 products (Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Freehand 10, ColdFusion MX Developer Edition, Flash Player 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Macromedia - always good, 29 Aug 2002
I feel pretty silly writing a review on Macromedia. You really can't criticise them. They do lead the way. Studio MX is more tightly integrated, the new Flash is great, Dreamweaver MX is a real must have (I personally could never stand all those windows everywhere), Fireworks has moved on a bit but not that much, Freehand (don't use it much, but its nice when they give it you for free). It was also a killer stroke getting ColdFusion from Allaire - a brilliantly simple way to knock together database applications.
All in all great software at a reasonable cost, you can't complain.

Local Hero [VHS]
Local Hero [VHS]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense - Brilliant - Poignant - Funny, 29 Aug 2002
This review is from: Local Hero [VHS] (VHS Tape)
What can you say about Local Hero, they just don't make films like it anymore. Local Hero is packed full of humanity and comedy, everytime I watch it I see something new. Bill Forsyth saw Local Hero largely as a situational comedy erupting from by the clash between corporate America & rural Scotland. I think I see it as a reference on materialism gone mad. Mack the lead character has it all the porsche and the apartment.. At the end of the day I think he realises that he has nothing of any worth, other than a nice car and a stereo - I think that's what makes it so relevant for today. Buy it! it's a friend for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Gem, 23 Jun 2002
This review is from: Declaration: 1984-1985 (Audio CD)
I first heard The Alarm Declaration when I was 12 and have never really stopped listening to it and now I'm 30!. Rolling Stone magazine called this album 'brilliant' and I would not disagree. There have been a lot of musical comparisons between The Alarm and U2, but I've never really seen it myself, probably cos I was listening to The Alarm before U2.
I always found this album strange and haunting and still highly original, there hasn't really been anything even similar in my opinion; first world war, american war of independence, death, afterlife, morality, punk, cowboys, religion, working class, folk, country - it is undefinable. Like all great albums though it is a not just a collection of singles but a total world in itself.
If you only buy one Alarm album get this one, all the albums which followed this whilst being good to ok never really captured this raw brilliance. By the end of the 80's The Alarm were all but on the rocks, they started out with the passion and fire of The Jam and ended up like errrrr, well, ......U2, only without the patronising deepness and global dominance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Gem, 23 Jun 2002
This review is from: Declaration: 1984-1985 (Audio CD)

Colour Harmony: A Guide to Creative Colour Combinations
Colour Harmony: A Guide to Creative Colour Combinations
by Hideaki Chijiiwa

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it, 11 Oct 1999
I think the problem with this whole, 'here are some good colors thing' is that it doesn't work. Good colours are contemporary, you get them from looking around, they are subjective, historical and often they don't follow any rules - even if they do it is definitely not the rules of this book, most of the suggested colours are from the early eighties, they look horrible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3