Profile for Roberto > Reviews

Roberto (Beverley)

The Miss Marple Collection [DVD] [2012]
The Miss Marple Collection [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Joan Hickson

5.0 out of 5 stars A very sturdy box set providing individual plastic sections for each of ..., 27 Mar. 2016
So many reviewers nowadays make such an issue about packaging,so let's address this first. Observations are : A very sturdy box set providing individual plastic sections for each of the 12 DVD's. What I particularly applaud is that each disc is beautifully illustrated in colour with the characters appearing in that episode. So thankfully we have no stacking of discs,which I find appalling,or trying to guess the title of 1,2,3 or 4 !!!! The title of each episode is there plain to see. So for once, Very well done !!!!! Let's be fair it only takes a little common sense & consideration, which is sadly so often lacking nowadays.
Now for the review that really matters. To watch Joan Hickson's portrayal of Miss Marple is an absolute joy. I find the stories to be a bonus as I can gain so much pleasure by just observing her. The future series of Marple with Geraldine McEwan & Julia McKenzie were watchable, & more than ever I can see why they had to supply their own interpretation,because the fact is alongside Joan Hickson I'm afraid they just can't compete. Agatha Christie I am sure would have been delighted to see her two famous characters so meticulously portrayed by two consummate actors in David Suchet & Joan Hickson. Enjoy the experience.

The Likely Lads Collection (6 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
The Likely Lads Collection (6 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Bolam

5.0 out of 5 stars Likely the best ever?, 9 Nov. 2013
So much praise can rightly go to the cast of characters Bob,Terry,Thelma & the rest, a number of them cutting their teeth in early roles eg.Alun Armstrong ( A mean street fighter Duggie! ) As good as they all were,and boy were they good! I believe equal praise should go to the two amazing scriptwriters Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais. Perhaps I am biased as I originally come from the region so consequently I may just understand the depth of the dialogue more,but to say it is spot on is a massive understatement.For any actor to deliver those lines must have been an absolute joy,in fact when my wife met me for the first time she said I reminded her so much of Terry Collier ( is that good or bad? )in spite of that we are still together. We still have a tendancy to verbalise popular lines from the scripts "though but!" are we sad or just 2 people that realise quality when we see it? They don't even get close nowadays,no one seems to be able to sustain a script for 5 minutes never mind half an hour. All they seem to be capable of is weak lines & bad language and we are expected to find it amusing ( Emperor's New Clothes Me Thinks! ) I think it a shame that Jimmy Bolam doesn't seem to ever want to acknowledge his role in the show ( He should be so proud,as what a character! )I also feel that Rodney Bewes deserved better over the years TV wise as let's never lessen his imput, even the great Stan needed Ollie! Perhaps even worse their not speaking for so long,come on it's never too late. But to all concerned thanks for all the pleasure that this superb series has provided,Cheers Bob! Cheers Terry!

Alias Smith & Jones - Series 2 Vol. 2 (Region 2) (Import)
Alias Smith & Jones - Series 2 Vol. 2 (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ Ben Murphy Roger Davis Pete Duel Ralph Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality discs do the series justice, 8 Nov. 2013
Following up my revue of Series 2 Vol 1,I have just received Vol 2 and can report everything most acceptable,excellent quality Region 2 in English. If it will help, the listings are as follows : Disc 1. The Bounty Hunter,Everything Else You Can Steal,Miracle At Santa Marta,and 21 Days To Tenstrike. Disc 2. The McCreedy Bust Going,Going,Gone,The Man Who Broke The Bank At Red Gap,The Men That Corrupted Hadleyburg ( Sadly Pete Duel's Last Episode )and The Biggest Game In The West. Disc 3. Which Way To The OK Corral,Don't Get Mad Get Even,What's In It For Mia,and finally Bad Night In Big Bute. At least I now possess all episodes from series 1 & 2,excepting of course ( "The Day They Hanged Kid Curry" )and all in first class condition. The supplier I have found to be both quick and reliable,I just wish he would have the last 12 episodes ie. Series 3 available.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 2:00 PM BST

Alias Smith & Jones - Series 2 Vol. 1 (Region 2) (Import)
Alias Smith & Jones - Series 2 Vol. 1 (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ Pete Duel
Offered by alan30965

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 2 & A Quality copy at last, 4 Nov. 2013
No doubt like so many Smith & Jones fans,I've been waiting for season 2 since 2007 when Universal decided to quit after the first series (shame on them!!!) I've been put off other available discs especially seeing as they are generally Region 1 and would appear questionable on quality. My thanks therefore must go to the last reviewer "Townie",because without that favourable report I probably still wouldn't have bothered. Needless to say the discs have just arrived and they are first class,region 2 via Sweden. They have subtitles available if required (which I doubt)as they are in Swedish! But fear not as the episodes are in English. The listings are true to season 2 and are as follows : Disc 1 The McCreedy Bust (Already shown on Season 1 but no doubt a fill in for the controversial (The day they hanged Kid Curry)but it is available on You Tube. How to rob a bank in one hard lesson,Jailbreak at Junction City,and Smiler with a gun. Disc 2 The Posse that wouldn't quit, Something to get hung about,Six Strangers at Apache Springs and Night of the Red Dog. Disc 3 The Reformation of Harry Briscoe,Dreadful sorry Clementine and Shootout at Diablo Station. I shall now be able to purchase Season 2 Vol 2,with confidence which should start with The Bounty Hunter. At least I shall have every episode which starred Pete Duel,if I feel the need to complete the series I may have to gamble on a Region 1 copy. I hope this has been of help,must dash as I'm off for a session of Montana Red Dog!!!!!!!!!