Profile for M. Longaz > Reviews

Sometimes a Great Notion: A Novel
Sometimes a Great Notion: A Novel
by Ken Kesey

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible Force Meets An Immovable Object, 14 Dec. 2012
This is a truly great book. My favorite of Kesey's although `Last Go Round' is good it doesn't compare to the weight that this book carries. What I find I like best about this book and parts of others that Kesey has written are the build up throughout the book when two intriguing characters finally meet to fight it out that I just explain as what happens when the Irresistible Force Meets An Immovable Object. Just fascinating and has me ready to read this book and the other I mentioned to capture once again the feeling of anticipation and nervousness that I experienced when I first read them. If you haven't read any of Kesey's books or just have read `One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' definitely give this one a shot. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Petty Tyrants & Facing the Unknown: Navigating the Traps and Diversions of Life in the Matrix (Wave Series)
by Laura Knight-Jadczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 13 Dec. 2012
I really enjoy this author's books and especially The Wave Series of which this book is a part. The Wave books tell the story of part personal journey and discovery, deep research and thought, and explanation and addition to channeled material from the Cassiopeans. I find writing a review of The Wave books doesn't do them justice since each book covers such a wide range of topics. In this particular book the concepts of Facing the Unknown and Petty Tyrants as first written about by Carlos Castaneda provide a central concept from which many other topics are addressed.

The Emperor's Soul (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novella)
The Emperor's Soul (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novella)
by Brandon Sanderson

4.0 out of 5 stars short but entertaining, 11 Dec. 2012
I almost decided to give this one a pass due to its price and short length, but glad that I decided to buy and give it a read. This isn't Sanderson's best and I think I feel that way because it was just short, yet if you are looking for a short read that isn't going to take a number of books to come to a conclusion then this one might be for you. I hope Sanderson builds off this book and `Elantris' as he continues that series.

Key, The
Key, The
by John Philip Cohane

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece in the puzzle, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Key, The (Hardcover)
This book was a bit of a challenge to read since the author goes into great detail on the many examples of a common language that was global in scope that preceded what is the accepted period of the rise of modern civilization. The numerous examples and research into the topic really does give the hypothesis weight and is another piece of the puzzle that backs the existence and destruction of worldwide civilization as indicated by Plato and other authors. When the possibility of such a world-wide civilization existing with a common language and what might have happened to cause it to collapse, I think the reader should consider the research into cosmic bombarded, specifically the work detailed in `The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes: How a Stone-Age Comet Changed the Course of World Culture,' as the culprit. There are a number of other books that cover cometary influence on history, but I think that the above book describes the event that brought the past cycle of civilization to its end and an end to the language and culture laid out by Cohane.

Treasure Island
Treasure Island

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a gift for a youngster, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Treasure Island (Kindle Edition)
I read this classic for book club and although the book club really didn't like it I found it kept my attention and was a nice short read. I thought the dialogue was pretty impressive as compared with what a person would find in modern fiction. Wish I had read it when I was younger since it would have caught more of my imaginations. I wouldn't hesitate to give this to a young reader.

In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
by George K Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book!, 17 Nov. 2012
I think this book is a good start at developing the ability to see the types of antics that many manipulative people use to coerce others. The author lays out the many ploys that are used with bare bones explanations. If you have ever had family or romantic relationships with a narcissist or a manipulative person, then this is one book to read and consider. It can only help you to gain the knowledge necessary to take back control from such people and give yourself footing in which to deal with them. I highly recommended this book along with the growing number of books on psychopaths, such as `Women Who Love Psychopaths: Inside the Relationships of inevitable Harm With Psychopaths, Sociopaths & Narcissists'.

The Magnesium Miracle
The Magnesium Miracle
by Carolyn Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential information, 20 May 2012
This review is from: The Magnesium Miracle (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me from an online forum that looks into many aspects of diet and health that goes against mainstream diet and medicine. I'm really glad I read it since I would never have learned about the importance of and widespread deficiency of magnesium in individuals on the standard western diet. Just one aspect of why magnesium is a must is that we live in a social setting filled with stress and this stress depletes magnesium creating a deficiency. Even if a person switches to organic grass fed meats correcting the deficiency would take a long time, so supplementation is a must. Do yourself a favor and read this book. It is pretty short and to the point.

Sex on the Moon
Sex on the Moon
by Ben Mezrich

2.0 out of 5 stars Had a hard time finishing it, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Sex on the Moon (Paperback)
With the subject matter one would think that the book would be easy to finish, but I struggled on to the end and if the book wasn't a book club book I probably wouldn't have finished it. I'm having a hard time placing why it was so difficult to finish. I think it had to do with seeing, except the small details, where exactly to book was heading and because of that there wasn't much excitement in it. Another point is that I really didn't like seeing a person throw their life away and so wouldn't recommend this book.

Where Troy Once Stood: The Mystery of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey Revealed
Where Troy Once Stood: The Mystery of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey Revealed
by Iman J. Wilkens

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 6 May 2012
I found this book to be fascinating. The author lays out his theory and evidence that the focal point of the `Illiad' and the `Odyssey' was England, the west coast of Europe and the Atlantic instead of the Mediterranean, Greece and Turkey. At first this may seem like a ludicrous idea but through analysis of evidence, such as place names, Wilkens makes a strong case for the idea. The ancient world that is hardly acknowledged by the mainstream was teaming with activity and travel across the oceans. Cultures came and went through mass migration and rebuilding that took place after cosmic catastrophe caused by comets. Evidence for the major event that drastically interrupted and changed the ancient world can be found by reading `The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes: How a Stone-Age Comet Changed the Course of World Culture'. With this migration came the changing of place names from location to location and a common language and knowledge that are mostly lost to the modern world. I'm currently reading the book `The Key' by John Cohane that describes the many similarities between words, place names and mythology across the world. It seems that Wilkens has done a similar comparison as Cohane that is on a more localized scale and in relation to the Homeric epics.

This book is an treasure and should be a best seller. I purchased this book directly from the book's website for cheaper. It took a couple of months to arrive, but well worth the wait.

Where Troy Once Stood: The Mystery of Homer's Iliad Revealed