Profile for Martin Frisher > Reviews

Content by Martin Frisher

Martin Frisher (Nantwich, Cheshire)

The Beatles in Scotland
The Beatles in Scotland
by Ken McNab

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating new information about the Beatles, 14 Jun. 2013
This is an excellent book that provides much new information about the Beatles. The first-hand accounts of concerts are very vivid and really convey the excitement among those present at these events. So too are the accounts of those who worked with or encountered the Beatles during their time together and their solo careers. The sections on John's holidays in Scotland and Paul's experiences on the Mull of Kintyre are very interesting. The book is engaging and well written.

Last Dance at the Rothesay Pavilion
Last Dance at the Rothesay Pavilion
by Myra Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars More Bute Secrets, 5 Mar. 2013
This book has something I look for but rarely find in adult fiction, namely its ability to transport me away from everyday life. I think this is because Alison Cameron is not a detective but someone to whom adventures just happen. I also like the characters, plot-lines and locations. In many years of going on holiday to Bute, I have not run out of places to visit and it is nice to encounter them in this novel. I hope there will be further Alison Cameron adventures on Bute.

The House at Ettrick Bay
The House at Ettrick Bay
by Myra Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets on Bute, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought this book in Print Point in Rothesay and soon found myself hooked by the story. I liked the fact that characters are well drawn and seemed like real people, not the stereotypes of some crime novels. I will be watching out for the characters on my next visit to Bute.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2011 2:56 PM BST

Saints and Sinners: 12 Tales of Crime and the Clergy
Saints and Sinners: 12 Tales of Crime and the Clergy
by Rev. Malcolm G. Lorimer

5.0 out of 5 stars More Maugham than Murder?, 9 Mar. 2011
Unlike many crime stories, this has real characters. It reminds me more of Somerset Maugham than the average crime story. Also, unlike many crime stories I was able to follow the plot yet I rarely guessed the endings. So the book contains all the elements of a good read, and I imagine I will be re-reading this many times!

This Thing Of Darkness
This Thing Of Darkness
by Harry Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 6 Jan. 2006
This review is from: This Thing Of Darkness (Paperback)
Unlike so many books of recent years which fail to deliver, this one is a true masterpiece. I can think of only a handful of books which tell such a powerful story and with such convincing characters. This book is in the tradition of the great storytellers of the past such as Isaac Singer, Somerset Maugham and James Hilton. Harry Thompson has written a wonderful book and his untimely death is a tragic loss. Since finishing the book, it has stayed in mind as many of themes seem to provide insight into current events in the world.

Wide Eyed And Legless - The A&M Recordings
Wide Eyed And Legless - The A&M Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars wide eyed and legless!, 2 Jun. 2004
Good things come to those who wait and I've been waiting for this for 10 or more years. Three great albums from the time of real music.