Profile for Munchkin061271 > Reviews

QI The Book of the Dead
by John Lloyd
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, but who did the proof-reading?, 18 Nov 2009
I love Q.I. in all it's forms - the series, the books, the website - so the arrival of a new book was a cause of some celebration for me. This time around, the book is a series of potted biographies of noteworthy folk through the ages. For an added twist, they're summarised not by the times they lived in, or even alphabetically... the various figures are categorised according to things that they had in common. So, Freud, Hans Christian Andersen and Da Vinci all wind up in the same chapter because they had absent or bad fathers! It's quirky, but it works. Like the show, this is packed with 'well-I-never' moments, and proves to be a very addictive read. One criticism though - there are so many basic errors in the presentation, you can't help but feel it must've been thrown together in a rush. For example, in the first chapter alone, words are repeated unnecessarily in the same sentence, causing the reader to skid to a halt and re-read for fear of having missed the point. And poor old Hans Christian has his surname go from Andersen to Anderson, then back to Andersen, more than once on the same page! All right, this might be picky, but this is a chunky, reasonably expensive book - you'd hope it was at least proof-read once or twice.
All in all, good fun - and recommended for all fans of the series, or trivia buffs.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 2:36 PM BST

Pocoyo Ready, Steady, Go!
Pocoyo Ready, Steady, Go!
by Red Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, and much-loved - by both me and my daughter!, 21 May 2007
This is an adaptation of one of the brilliant series episodes, given the extra twist of being a lift-the-flap book. Although my young daughter (20 months and counting) shows absolutely no interest in the TV yet (and long may it continue), she loves the Pocoyo books.

And I love reading them, because they're not only great fun, but have cunningly-hidden lessons as well. And if I can pass on a little knowledge without being blatantly obvious while we're having a giggle, then so much the better.

I imagine if your little one is a fan of the show, the attraction will be even greater - but this is certainly a favourite in our house!