Profile for Red Sparrow > Reviews

Content by Red Sparrow

Red Sparrow "Red Sparrow" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose weight fast and reprogramme your body
The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose weight fast and reprogramme your body

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - it will change your life, 3 July 2016
I bought this book on my partners Amazon Prime account. His GP suggested he went on it after early signs of arthritis which is connected to insulin resistance. So far so good... Very straightforward..Day 5 I've lost 3lbs (although I've little to loose) after plateau-Ing on the 5:2 and decided to not buy any clothes for a bit, but my partner has lost about 8lbs ... I've not used their recipes much as I'm a pretty good cook but the book is well written and clear. My partner's dad was a leading medical bod in the liver and pancreas and so understood the science... Will give updates. I've done other detox diets that worked, but are having read this book, I realise why- they were basically low blood sugar diets with reduced calories ...
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Happy Pear: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Food to Change Your Life
The Happy Pear: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Food to Change Your Life
by David Flynn

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want gibberish on health this is for you, 26 Jan. 2016
I like cooking vegetarian and got this to get some new recipes. The recipes look okay but I was shocked/ appalled by the pseudo science, which states that any oil, including olive oil or avocados is bad for the heart because it is oil. This is dangerous having watched the BBC Trust me I am a Doctor tests which clearly indicate the contrary, it's sort of gimmicky nonsense and full of LOL gibberish on health , "don't eat any meat or any diary because they contain cholesterol and have no fibre. They are high in saturated fats so if you want to reduce cholesterol avoid all meat and dairy'. Similarly they give their "two cents worth" about olive oil and its negative effects on the heart.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Macmillan Collector's Library)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Macmillan Collector's Library)
by Jules Verne

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely edition of this classic. Illustrations kept us going ..., 26 Jan. 2016
Lovely edition of this classic. Illustrations kept us going through the chunky bits of science. Read it with my 11 year old son who had it has a Chanukah gift.

Real Food, Real Fast
Real Food, Real Fast
by Sam Stern

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teen buy, 26 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Real Food, Real Fast (Paperback)
Really surprised. I bought this as a Chanukah gift for my teenage son. When it arrived my partner didn't want me to give it to him because he thought he wouldn't like it. Eventually, short of a gift on one of the last days of Chanukah I gave it to him - he loved it and uses it all the time. Really recommend it. My son is 14 and is keen on independence ... The home alone section which has things like cheese on toast is really good.

Casa Moro
Casa Moro
by Samuel Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book. Lots of delicious recipes that are straightforward, 26 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Casa Moro (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Lots of delicious recipes that are straightforward, unusual and tasty. I ordered it when I was in Granada as I loved the food there and wanted to take some of it home with me. This book does that beautifully.

Comptoir Libanais
Comptoir Libanais
by Tony Kitous

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine and Lebanon, 3 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Comptoir Libanais (Hardcover)
I like this book. I like the shop too. There isn't that many recipes in it and none of it is that complicated, but there is a lot of love in it and great pics. And also no pics of shots of thin women walking with dogs in the rain, looking great in between baking and a glamorous lifestyle in Hoxton or the environs. And telling you about his they ate their way to happiness while eating kale chips... I made the tahini recipe and used it for humus and baba-Ganesh and it was delicious. I will use it for a simple meal with friends in the darkest winter to bring a smile...

In the Mood for Healthy Food
In the Mood for Healthy Food

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical health food publishing bandwagon fodder, 3 Dec. 2015
I bought it based on reviews and thought it contrived and quite poor. Okay, I know a lot about food and am quite accomplished, but it's a bit of a Simply Nigella book... with almond milk (healthy but killing the planet- but who cares... Because it's dairy free too). I tried the granola and thought it worse than my usual method - mashing up banana with other stuff. It's just a contrived lets do healthy with not much new really. I'm glad I only bought it on kindle and plan to get Nigel Slaters latest as my next purchase - he knows a few things about vegetables ...

Mary Berry's Absolute Favourites
Mary Berry's Absolute Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pleasing teenage taste buds, 18 Jun. 2015
I bought this book to satisfy the kids at meal times. I have two step sons who live with us half the time. I tend to be more of an Ottolenghi type cook but have noticed that as the kids enter the teen phase they get super picky about what they eat. This book is great for that. The kids love Mary berry and watching the TV programme with me and then asking me to make Mary's food. They've loved every recipe and like the trailer for the TV series they ask for the recipes over and over again. The recipes are pretty easy to cook and hassle free which also means we have a cleaner kitchen - as we always good from scratch. It's also been good for introducing new tastes to the kids in a subtle way - as also my partner, who is finally understanding that Dijon Mustard is a seasoning. Favourites so far are Saturday Pasta and a potato and sausage bake and pavlova.

A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
by Diana Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite, 8 April 2014
Diana'a recipes in the Telegraph are amongst my favourite, full or orginality and wit. The book is an extension of her articles. I've always been into healthy eating and none of the ingredients were revelatory. What for me was so good was that the food was so elegant, simple and edible to other members of my family that arent so into health... which is everyone else...

The Pistachio and Lemon Cake, made with olive oil and pistachios (no flour) was a real highlight. I'm making it at Pesach.

That said, every page is a highlight - delicious and requiring little cheffy skill just good ingredients and a basic ability in making buttermilk. The suppliers she recommended were good too. I actually started using Healthy Suppliers, because even though I live in London, I hate shopping and the on-line store had a great range of stuff.

(NB
I read the Telegraph, which in spite of my left wing views, is the only newspaper that seems well-written/ inc. FT Weekend (gosh so middle aged!) .

Mafia Republic: Italy's Criminal Curse. Cosa Nostra, 'Ndrangheta and Camorra from 1946 to the Present
by John Dickie

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 30 Mar. 2014
I bought this for a my brother in law as a Christmas present. They're a bit of a nut about all things crime/ serial killers/ and also play golf: this suited them down. But it isn't for anyone who likes history told with wit - a charmless read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3