Profile for Maggie B Dickinson > Reviews

Content by Maggie B Dickinson

Maggie B Dickinson (Preston, Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
London's Cemeteries
London's Cemeteries
by Darren Beach

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books of all time, 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: London's Cemeteries (Paperback)
What a talented writer and researcher. I hang onto his every word because he's got the ability to express the information so well. At my time of life, and with all the aches and pains, every minute counts on trips to London so that I'm cramming - no time-wasting sites or unnecessary steps. I'm grateful to him for pointing me towards such gorgeous and interesting tombs. The beautiful pre-Raphaelite monument of Frederick Leyland by Burne-Jones is outstanding at Brompton, which cemetery is definitely top of my list so far - especially as it is the resting place of Mrs Pankhurst and other historical figures I admire. And the peace and quiet of these places takes some beating amidst the hectic pace of the city.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Dvd ~ Julia Roberts
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother., 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005] (DVD)
The trader sent the DVD swiftly. It was beautifully packed. But the film was dreadful. Smutty. What a waste of talent. Only watched half an hour.

Canon Pgi-550xl High Capacity Ink Cartridge - Black
Canon Pgi-550xl High Capacity Ink Cartridge - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lovely ink, 10 Oct. 2014
Wonderful delivery service but as for the ink......how do I enlarge on my liking for ink? Okay, I love the stuff. However else could I print my docs without it.

No Mean City
No Mean City
by Alexander McArthur

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that lingers in the mind, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: No Mean City (Paperback)
I first read this in 1952, cover to cover, with an insatiable appetite. Excellent piece of writing.

The Birthday Present
The Birthday Present
by Barbara Vine

5.0 out of 5 stars This did it for me, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Birthday Present (Paperback)
I don't read novels. Well, not usually. The writers mostly fall short of what I expect, and that is the art of holding my attention. I had a long train journey last week and started on The Birthday Present which I'd been given by a friend ages ago. On that journey I could barely put it down. The plot, characterisation (at which BV excels), and articulation gave me such reading pleasure that I was sorry to have reached the end. I shall read everything she's written from now on.

Beatrix Potter Remembered
Beatrix Potter Remembered
by W.R. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Mitchell, 25 Sept. 2013
As editor of the Dalesman for many years Bill Mitchell knows how to tell a tale. Not only that - you just know he's researched his subject thoroughly too. A very enjoyable record of people in Beatrix Potter's life.

Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies
Nikon D40/D40x For Dummies
by Julie Adair King

5.0 out of 5 stars Dummies, 28 Jan. 2013
This is exceedingly easy to follow and well written. Anyone with a Nikon D40X cannot fail to be impressed. The handbook I got with the camera was appallingly offputting and confusing.

Feel Good Collection, the - Total Tranquility
Feel Good Collection, the - Total Tranquility

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 28 Jan. 2013
I have been buying chilling out music for a lifetime and this rates as one of my very favourites. I can easily fall asleep with this playing quiety.

In The Heat Of The Night [DVD] [1967]
In The Heat Of The Night [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Sidney Poitier
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever in the charts, 13 Sept. 2010
I saw this on release and it has lost none of its impact in the intervening years. The acting abilities of Steiger and Poiter are beyond criticism and rivet the viewer to the seat. At the time this came out we in the UK simply couldn't believe that people were treat in the way the main character was treat purely because he was black. It is a film riddled with prejudices, mental cruelty, evil deeds and the feel-good factor of Poiter winning the day. Outstanding - no other word for it.

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? [DVD]
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? [DVD]
Dvd ~ Spencer Tracy
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Laboured issues, 13 Sept. 2010
Tracy had plenty of chance to deliver choice lines, with Hepburn aiding and abetting in her own typical quickfire style. Poitier's acting was more admirable and had a fresher approach, although I found Katharine Houghton's portrayal of her character over-enthusiastic and naive. I remember my mother being very enamoured of this film when it was released but I never got to see it until now. With the passage of time I found it guilty of trying to hammer and chisel the point home about its main theme of a mixed marriage. This emphasised the difference in attitudes at that time between the US and the UK because it wasn't such an issue here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2011 9:18 PM BST