Profile for Mr. H. E. Bennett > Reviews

Content by Mr. H. E. Bennett

Mr. H. E. Bennett "howardbennett5" (Windsor)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but doesn't do what it claims, 14 April 2011
I bought a box of 10 of these items from my local Tesco Express - as a busy commuter I was quite impressed by the claim that it "gets to work in five minutes" as it normally takes me 35 to 40 minutes, and even then I can't always find a parking space.

The powder in these sachets did make me feel markedly better and ease my sniffles but it made no difference in my journey times. If anything it now takes even longer.

Perhaps it is intended for those who live closer to their place of employment, but the instructions made no mention of this.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2012 3:58 PM BST

Savoury Selection Scampi Fries 27 g (Pack of 24)
Savoury Selection Scampi Fries 27 g (Pack of 24)
Offered by The Sweet Pot
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Found - the Holy Grail, 31 Jan 2011
Firstly, I should announce how delighted I was to discover that my favourite on-line store beginning with 'Ama' sold these wonderful products of yesteryear.

According to the Observer's Book of Crisps (9th edition, 1998) we were 'unlikely to ever encounter a packet ever again, unless it was at back of an elderly person's cupboard' - yet now we can buy them in bulk over the miracle that is the internet.

For those not familiar with such items, these fishy beauties are delightful to eat with their lemony tang, yet disgusting to be in the same room as. It's as if you are sharing the room with a permanently yawning cat, so eat out of doors if possible.

As such, I can only recommend to singletons or for those wishing to ditch their partner. The threat of 24 packets will soon have them scuttling back to mother.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2011 9:39 PM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Jan 2011
I have to admit I was utterly fooled by the name of this item, and it was not what I had expected. I should have guessed by the fact that the crab meat in the picture isn't blue either before or after cooking that something was wrong.

I had invited some friends from Indonesia over for a meal and hoped to serve them a mashed-potato island set in a thin gravy 'sea'. The finishing touch would have been some blue crab meat swimming around the island but none of it made any effort to swim whatsoever, despite goading with a wooden spoon.

I felt a little let-down by the description but in its defence it was very tasty indeed. It isn't that cheap but you do get a lot for your money, but please if you are not sure what you are getting check with the seller. Thankfully it didn't spoil my social event but you may not be so lucky.

Mars Bar 51 g (Pack of 48)
Mars Bar 51 g (Pack of 48)
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading
Price: 23.52

4.0 out of 5 stars They are definitely getting smaller, 29 Jan 2011
At least that is what my doctor told me. However, back to that old favourite Mars Bar. Named after its inventor, Mr Bar, these have been around for some 80 years. No, I don't mean the ones you'll buy from here as that would make them a little past their sell-by date.

Mars Bars are lovely when cool, yet horrible when hot. Eat one that has been left on a car seat on a hot day and you'll know what I mean. Have cool ones and they'll be a snacktime favourite. Hot stringy caramel is a no-no in my book - mainly because the pages get stuck together.

If you have not tried them before I would recommend buying used or renting first, just in case.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 8:51 PM GMT

Wotsits Cheese 18 g (Pack of 48)
Wotsits Cheese 18 g (Pack of 48)
Offered by Cooking Marvellous
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Crunchy orange worms and none the worse for it, 19 Jan 2011
I love Wotsits. I used to eat them by the ton and I am so glad Amazon have seen sense in selling them on the internet.

I am led to believe that Dale Winton grew up exclusively on Wotsits. Bright orange and cheesey, you'd never leave them around your kids by choice. However, back to the snacks, they are amazingly moorish and it is easy to devour 15 packets without realising what you have done, with only a cheesey odour and the guilty orange-tinged fingers to show for it.

They come heartily recommended by myself for cheesy puff addicts and those who run out of packing materials that whiff of cheddar.

Salt and Shake 30 g (Pack of 48)
Salt and Shake 30 g (Pack of 48)
Offered by Discount Office Supplies & Equipment
Price: 22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars To salt or not to salt?, 19 Jan 2011
I bought a box of these fine crisps as I had not seen them to buy anywhere for many years. Smiths used to sell loads like this, such as Spit or Swallow, Sooty and Sweep, Mouth and Macneal, and Hartley Hare flavour. Personally I hope they do a "variety box" of all the old ones, as I would certainly buy one if they did.

The beauty of these crisps is that somedays you don't fancy salt. Some days you want LOADS of it. There is also a random element of seeing how many bags, if any, are contained in your bag of crisps. Sometimes they are so well hidden you give up only to find it three quarters of the way in, by which time adding them to the crisps will make them uneatable unless you are on a Japanese game show.

I'd give them five stars without salt, four with all of the packet on, and two if you spend a lot of time on Japanese television.
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2011 3:44 PM BST

Snake In A Tin
Snake In A Tin
Offered by mtxtoys
Price: 3.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Particularly violent, 22 Dec 2010
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Snake In A Tin (Kitchen & Home)
If your idea of a fun Christmas is to hospitalise members of your family, or be involved in lengthy compensation claims, then you need to buy one of these.

Not only is the mechanism of this joke incredibly powerful, but the humiliation of losing some teeth to the sound of an ear-splittingly loud klaxon sound has rendered it as an item only to be used out of spite.

The needle-sharp spike that represents the nose was not a well-chosen feature as far as safety was concerned, and I would think twice before recommending this to anyone under the age of 5. Even if they were not allergic to nuts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 2:17 PM BST

Fortune Teller Fish
Fortune Teller Fish
Offered by mtxtoys
Price: 0.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory, 22 Dec 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fortune Teller Fish (Toy)
Not the best investment I have ever made. This fish has not proven to be the most reliable predictor of the future, and after losing heavily for the best part of a year on Bet365 (to the tune of several thousand pounds) I can only assume that I am not using it correctly or that its opinions are somewhat flawed.

It also predicted that I would marry a man with a beard and have twins, although I find this too to be frankly quite unlikely.

One thing that you can safely predict is that you will be better off without this fishes predictions and it is best to invest your future in something else, for example one of Russell Grants books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2012 6:23 PM GMT

Airfix A50079 Hawker Typhoon 1:72 Scale Model Small Starter Set
Airfix A50079 Hawker Typhoon 1:72 Scale Model Small Starter Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work and messy, 21 Dec 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I received this kit as a present after my father, who flew these fine aircraft for real at the end of World War 2, sadly passed away a few months ago. Unfortunately, I possess a relatively mild yet frequent hemichoreia which results in often violent arm movements which makes assembling a model kit a particularly hazardous experience.

If you have ever assembled such a kit you will know how fiddly and time consuming painting the pilot can be, although as you only really see the pilots head there seems to be very little point in taking too much care over it. My main problem was glueing the canopy to the fuselage. The flow from the tube of glue is not terribly predictable and I ended up getting it all over my fingers, and therefore glueing said canopy to my hand. A haplessly timed tic sent both upwards and into my hair, and my wife had to carefully cut them free with a pair of sharp scissors before I did any more damage. Fortunately, if you write to Airfix they will send you any spare parts that you need and are very understanding.

You do need other things which are not included in this kit, such as a sharp knife to trim the parts and cut them off of their sprues. My wife wisely did this for me. You also need water to soak off the transfers and tissues to dab them dry. This also needs a steady hand to get these straight. The lovely people at Airfix came up trumps again when I managed to firmly adhere one of the roundels to my right cheek, and it tore when I attempted to remove it. The transfer that is, not my cheek.

Please be aware that the paint is enamel and hard to remove from clothes, furniture and carpets. Even these small pots make a big mess that is hard and expensive to rectify.

My Typhoon is now complete and sat on its small transparent stand. I will post pictures of the completed object so you can see how good it ended up. I am sure that despite my disabilities and amateur prowess in model kit assembly you will be impressed and no doubt you will be able to do just as well if not better.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 8:54 PM GMT

Paladone Happy Man Bottle Stopper
Paladone Happy Man Bottle Stopper
Offered by IDEAL-TECH(10-25 days to receive)
Price: 4.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bottle stopper, 21 Dec 2010
I received this as a gift and it has proved to be an excellent and useful item to have around the house. It works perfectly well, and is nicely finished and feels like a quality product.

Only downside is that the more imaginative person may feel that this stopper resembles a man with a large penis, although I had not noticed this until it was pointed out to me.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2013 2:31 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7