Profile for Rowena May > Reviews

Content by Rowena May

Rowena May (UK)

Pertwood Organic Fruit and Seeds Muesli 650 g (Pack of 2)
Pertwood Organic Fruit and Seeds Muesli 650 g (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 23 Aug. 2013
I am not really one for cereal or muesli as a rule but bought this a couple of years ago when I was trying to be healthy and actually eat breakfast for a change. As muesli's go I found this one to be good, although I admit I enjoyed it most when I used it to make muesli crunchies for inbetween meal snacks.

Enjoyable English Age 5-6 (Letts Magical Topics): Key Stage 1, Age 5-6
Enjoyable English Age 5-6 (Letts Magical Topics): Key Stage 1, Age 5-6
by Lynn Huggins-Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars Magical but not enjoyable., 5 Oct. 2012
We have enjoyed both the maths and the science versions of this Letts 'magical' series however this English book just hasn't worked well for us and we ended up using different workbooks. While my daughter likes the whole magic theme this one just seemed too 'busy' in its use of magical words and the names of the characters which made it feel a bit clunky in explaining the concepts and exercises. There is also a feeling of the exercises being squashed onto the page and being a bit contrived to fit in with the magical theme. I do like the series but I wouldn't recommend this book.

Bigjigs Toys Europe Inset Puzzle
Bigjigs Toys Europe Inset Puzzle
Offered by Bigjigs Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but pieces get lost too easily., 12 Feb. 2012
Got this for my four year old daughter and she really enjoys it as do I. My main criticism is that the pieces 'sit' in the wooden base but fall out easily when it is moved so I feel like I have to constantly be aware of where it is and pieces falling out until it get put away. It would have perhaps been better if it came in a box to keep the bits safe when not in use. I recommend those who buy it get a small foodbag or similar and keep the pieces in that when the jigsaw in not in use. I still think it well worth getting however and will perhaps buy the British Isles version.

Magnetic World Map Puzzle with each Country as a separate Magnet - Rigid board 42 x 32cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 12 Feb. 2012
My five year old daughter got this for Christmas and really enjoys it. When you first get it you need to spend some time separating all the pieces and since they are shaped, some of the smaller ones can tear easily if you aren't careful so best done by an adult.

Once you have all the pieces separated it can be fun to do. My daughter's knowledge of the world is improving but so is mine. When we do the jigsaw she asks where a piece goes and I often just tell her the continent it belongs on and she finds it from there. Sometimes I will name the country it belongs to and she can work it out from that (if one of the bigger countries like China). She can't read the country names yet so she is working purely from their shapes and location which I think is a good thing.

In terms of younger children I do think this is a game that is best done with an adult who can name the countries as you put them in place. Overall I think this is a great product and would love to see it implemented in other variations such as focussing on just one continent so the pieces are bigger.

Hopscotch Histories: Pocahontas the Peacemaker
Hopscotch Histories: Pocahontas the Peacemaker
by Hilary Robinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Paints a pretty picture, 3 Feb. 2012
I got this book out of the library because having seen the Disney Pocahontas film I thought my daughter might enjoy reading the basis of this story. I also wanted her to understand that it was a true story and not a made up fairy tale.

This book is devoid of any sign of aggression on the part of the English explorers while emphasising the aggressive tendancies of the native tribe. Pocahontas is portrayed as a girl who worked hard to keep her tribe from attacking the poor English visitors who apparently would rather starve rather than attack the tribe. I would expect a modern day book claiming to teach history to children to be at least somewhat balanced.

While the Chief is quick to say the English have come to take their land and kill with guns there is no mention of the English doing anything that could be considered aggresive in this book... perhaps they were 'peaceful conquerers'!

In reality the native population were receptive to the early explorers and gave them big feasts and supplies of maize but as time went on the settlers began to strong-arm supplies from the nearby villages and their relationship with the natives deteriorated leading to conflict.

There are parts, particularly relating to Pocahontas that historians cannot agree on as fact and for a general overview the entries in wikipedia for 'Jamestown, Virginia' as well as 'John Smith (explorer)' can be of interest.

However the events of this story unfolded, it certainly wasn't the case that the explorer colonists were entirely peaceful while the natives were aggressive in the way this book portrays. I am not suggesting a children's book of this level should go into the complexities, but even in its simple format it could be more honest in its approach.

Very poor example of history indeed.

Master Your Memory (The mind set)
Master Your Memory (The mind set)
by Tony Buzan

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but disappointing in content, 30 Mar. 2002
The first 57 pages explains the concept of how to memorise thousands of facts etc along with a few examples, however the rest of the books is lists of facts for you to memorise using the technique. What it doesn't give you is structured exercises to help you apply what you have learnt. It does tell you to buy another of his books if you want more help.
To be honest, it seems he just wants you to spend more money on his books. The book makes no real academic reference to back up his theories so until you put in the hard work and pay for a few of his books you won't really have any idea whether or not the concepts work for the average person or if it is just really well marketed.