Profile for Penny Haslam > Reviews

Content by Penny Haslam

Penny Haslam "Paige Turner" (London, UK)

Win!: How to Succeed in the New Game of Business
Win!: How to Succeed in the New Game of Business
by Roger Harrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Business wisdom, simply put., 6 Jan. 2015
As a business journalist I've read a lot of business books in my time, and Roger Harrop's WIN! is a winner. Why? Well, it's not a heavy tome, it doesn't claim to have found the 'silver bullet' that will give your business overnight success (which makes a refreshing change), and it's written in 'everyman speak' by a true business sage. All of which helps it flow along nicely, giving you an array of good solid workable ideas. It offers a well thought out range of big thinking and smaller stuff you can tackle straight away. I love Roger's nuggets from the past, referencing some well known mega-firms as though they're on the same journey as the rest of us - making mistakes and putting them right, or better still, getting them right in the first place so we can all learn. A good leveller, and inspiring too. I also like the QR option, not compulsory, but a fun way to bring the stories to life if you've got a spare few minutes. I've met chief execs with FOMO (fear of missing out) and aspirational start ups alike - and both would get a lot out of reading this quick, easy and fun book.

Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved
Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved
by Nigel Cassidy

5.0 out of 5 stars Epicures Look Away Now, 19 Oct. 2009
What a refreshing antidote to all the foodie books out there at the moment. Are you done with Delia, sooo over organic or fresh out of patience for 'make your own pasta', etc etc? If that's the case, then this is your book - especially if you lived in the UK during the 60s and 70s and were pretty happy on a diet that wasn't as fresh or as healthy as we all like to think it was. Like being clipped round the ear, it didn't do us any harm did it? Did it?

When I think about my childhood food stuffs, yes it's about Battenburg cake, sandwich pastes and corned beef. But I'd forgotten all about Camp Coffee (stashed in the cake making cupboard) and Malt Loaf, and Angel Delight, and so much more...And the delightful thing about this book is that it's not just about iconic historical brands, no longer available. You can STILL get your hands on all of the 53 items listed in this book. I say hurrah for that, and I'm off down the shops to get loaded up on Cheese Balls...who wouldn't want this book next to their Jamie Oliver, standing with its hand on it's hips, calling you in for tea?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 9:32 PM BST