Profile for D. Lamey > Reviews

Content by D. Lamey

D. Lamey "M Lamey" (NW UK)

Jams, Pickles and Chutneys (Penguin handbooks)
Jams, Pickles and Chutneys (Penguin handbooks)
by David Mabey

5.0 out of 5 stars Best recipes around, 26 Sept. 2011
We bought this book back in 1979 (if my memory serves me well) and by last Autumn it had fallen apart and become a collection of loose pages but then we lost it and come jam and chutney making time we were lost without it, so I turned to Amzon to find a new copy. I have to say everything we have made from this book has been very good, most rank amongst our favourite preserves. In addition to the recipes there are stories and anecdotes about collecting fruits or the origin of the recipe to read also. I recall offering friends Cider Apple Butter and telling them about where the recipe originated. The Red Tomato Chutney, Apricot Chutney and the fruit curds are excellent. I read somewhere this was the best preserves book available, we certainly think it is.

Understanding Owls: Biology, Management, Breeding, Training
Understanding Owls: Biology, Management, Breeding, Training
by Jemima Parry-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 26 Sept. 2011
Great book at a great price. If you are interested in Owls from an avicultural point of view or from a natural history perspective this book is both original and informative. Jamima Parry-Jones has an engaging style and a wealth of knowledge.

Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre
Tefal By Jamie Oliver Clipso P4110769 Pressure Cooker - 6 Litre

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 23 May 2011
I wanted a stainless steel pressure cooker so the choice was limited. The TEFAL by Jamie Oliver Clipso 6 Litre Pressure Cooker looked liked the best buy, if a little gimmicky. On the very first use steam from the cooker entered the timer and it failed. I dried it out and thought it was working properly only to discover the clock slows as the heat/temperature of the pan increases.

A complete waste of a lot of money. I strongly advise you spend your hard earned money on a different/alternative product.

Returned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 11:28 AM BST

LG 32LG3000 - 32" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars LG32LG3000 - 32" HD Ready, 1 April 2009
I bought this for my father who is 83 and strongly opposed to widescreen TV's because he is convinced they use the same images as the old format but just stretch them sideways to fill the wider screen. He thinks the new TV makes everyone look fatter but, at least he can see and hear them now (his previous SONY was 25 years old).

The LG32LG3000 is a marvelous price, fantastic quality for the money, but when your first job paid you seventeen shillings and six pence per week its difficult to spend £330 on a TV set (thats seven years earnings - in old money).
He's had some problems with the controller and the built in free-view - because there aren't as many channels as on his old separate grey box and I'm not technically minded either so can't help. Then there was the problem with German sub-titles which I won't go into here. . . . . .

In truth if you want a good quality product for minimal outlay I don't think you'd do better. We're going to get one for the bedroom I'm that impressed.