Profile for greenamber83 > Reviews

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist
Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, heartwarming stuff, 19 Sep 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this! Lovely characters, had me literally laughing out loud at times. Very fun to read as a psychology graduate but will certainly appeal to many people - especially recent graduates (or those wanting to relive those times). Hopefully there'll be a sequel.

Human Memory: An Introduction to Research, Data and Theory
Human Memory: An Introduction to Research, Data and Theory
by Ian Neath
Price: 57.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, please look past the bad comments (on the US site), 7 April 2012
This is a brilliant book. I'm on a conversion MSc and am definitely using this book for the memory bit of my exam this year - just have to decide whether to actually buy it or wait on library copies. Provides a clear, balanced and detailed coverage of memory research as it has developed and as it stands now. Unlike many textbooks, it also goes into sufficient details about experiments themselves rather than just giving the author's take on experiments. Recommended. I think sometimes people expected psychology to be easy. It isn't, nor should it be!

In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]
In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite film, 14 Jan 2011
I won't go into the plot as other reviews have done that in great detail, but I have to say this is one of the most underrated films here in the UK. I saw this at an independent cinema when it first came out and it has remained my favourite film ever since. Beautifully acted, wonderful scenery / imagery, an absolute pleasure to watch. The psychological elements will stay with you for years to come (if you're anything like me that is!)

Shutter Island [DVD] (2010)
Shutter Island [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Shutter Island [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
I didn't expect to be blown away by this movie, but I was. Unlike some similar movies, such as Inception, this one manages to tie up all its loose ends and not leave you frustrated because some things just don't make sense. A must see!

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
by Alain de Botton
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The best de Botton I have read so far, 14 Jan 2011
I read this a month or two ago and found it absolutely captivating. I have read Essays in Love (which is wonderful), Consolations of Philosophy (pretty good) and Status Anxiety (a bit dull in my opinion) and thought de Botton's insight into work, its meanings and different individual approaches was utterly fascinating and very refreshing as it really does take a unique perspective upon the idea of career vs job.

Perhaps it's because I'm a psychology student, but whatever it is, it resonated with me and I found it his best work yet. How Proust Can Change Your Life is next on the list!

Duronic RCD008/BK Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio - Black
Duronic RCD008/BK Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio - Black
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Skips a lot, probably faulty, but didn't return in time, 13 Jan 2011
Bought this for my dad. Originally we thought the cd's were at fault as they were old, but it has continued to skip.

Unfortunately we realised it was the product at fault too late and never returned it.

Buy with caution!

Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever
by Jane Hirschmann & Carol Munter
Price: 7.40

3.0 out of 5 stars It assumes too much, 13 Jan 2011
I'm glad this has worked for some people, but it hasn't for me. The authors seem to assume that if you eat simply what and when you want, your body will regulate itself and you will begin to lose weight.

It seems sensible in theory, but the authors aren't considering the possibility that certain biochemical processes may have gone awry in the first place leading to weight gain / obesity. Also, it underestimates psychological issues that may be involved.

So, while the book has some interesting ideas (not dieting per se is definitely a good idea!) it is quite weak in its assumptions.

The Yellow Wallpaper (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Yellow Wallpaper (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars So spooky, 13 Jan 2011
I got this book after meaning to read the yellow wallpaper for years (after seeing a TV adaptation when young, which always stayed with me) and it is an absolutely wonderful read with amazing imagery and symbolism. The other short stories are enjoyable too, but nowhere as good as the title story and very different (focusing mostly on feminist issues). I completely disagree with another review posted here saying that we who like the yellow wallpaper are reading into it things that aren't there - they are, in abundance.

Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Stainless Steel Cooking Thermometer
Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Stainless Steel Cooking Thermometer
Price: 5.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for making sweets!, 13 Jan 2011
As someone else said in the reviews here, this thermometer is no good for making sweets (I wanted to make fudge) as the immersion point is far too high. Probably good for other things, but I returned it straight away.

Multi-function digital catering thermometer with probe
Multi-function digital catering thermometer with probe
Offered by ETI Ltd
Price: 14.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful for making fudge!, 13 Jan 2011
Great thermometer for making fudge as the probe can sit in the mixture the whole time. Might be less useful for other things though as the temperature doesn't settle anywhere near as quickly as it says (takes almost a minute rather than seconds!)

Page: 1 | 2