Profile for C. L. Heffer > Reviews

Content by C. L. Heffer

C. L. Heffer "LOVEBOOKSTODEATH" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Jealousy
Jealousy
by Alain Robbe-Grillet
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book I've Ever Read, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jealousy (Paperback)
I think my title says it all. I thought it was a printing mistake, this book explains the same scene endless times. I bought this because Vladamir Nabakov liked it. I can't believe such an amazing writer liked this drivel. Very very disappointed!

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Franz Kafka
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 19 May 2008
I don't know all the metaphorical significance of this book, but I feel on the surface that the book is an intersting read, that you want to know what is going to happen to the family and especially the protagonist. You also feel for these people, which is, considering how short the story is, uncommon.
You have to read it to appreciate it, but it definately deserves a place as a classic.

Lolita
Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of ALL time, 19 May 2008
This review is from: Lolita (Paperback)
This is by far my most favourite book in the world ever! Words cannot describe how much I adore this book. It is true the subject matter is uncomfortable to think about especially today. Considering that English is not Nabokov's first language he writes it so beautifully that almost every page has a line which really sounds lyrical, rythmic and just plainly beautiful.
The book pulls your moral thoughts all over the place. The question; who takes advantage of who? is one which I always come back to, and like to ask the people who read it.
I have read this book about four times which I almost never do and I recommend it to everyone I read. It is, I suppose, an example of how something can be beautiful and wrong at the same time. It is also ultimately a book about love. Unrequited love, forbidden love, consuming love, manipulative love. There are so many aspects to love explored in this book.

A Clockwork Orange (Penguin Modern Classics)
A Clockwork Orange (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Anthony Burgess
Price: 4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down and surprisingly understood it!, 19 May 2008
This book orginally sat in my boyfriends bathroom for a year because I felt this was going to be a hard book to read. When you look at a page without reading it, what stands out is the large amount of words not in standard english, slang and foreign words. Just glancing in it maybe you'd think this was a foreign language book. However when I had nothing else to read and was 'forced' to read this book, I found it surprisingly easy to read and was delighted by the fact that I didn't have to look in the glossary once.
I loved the way the story panned out, was shocked in a way, that the book was more graphic, more controversial than the film. I also think that one feels more sympathetic to the narrators plight than in the film, I suppose this is uncomfortable for some people.
Uncomfortable or not this is a good book.

Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Flies
by William Golding
Price: 4.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 May 2008
This review is from: Lord of the Flies (Paperback)
Had to read this to school and I've never loved reading a book thats been forced on me so much. The story is imaginative and questions the need for rules in society and the way people regress to savages without much help. The characters are persued well, considering the books length, and there are times when you feel the same as the boys in the story, you can connect and understand the aspects of human nature the whole way through. I suppose it is slightly dated but considering when it was written and the fact that class and society is a theme that's not surprising. A good book, a bit like vintage Battle Royale, read it.

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe so many people are in love with this book!, 19 May 2008
I don't think I'm the only person that found this book boring? It goes on forever, the story as in the theme and ideas are okay but it's not interestingly written, didn't hold my attention and took me an age to read. Maybe because I had to read it for school I dunno, I couldn't be bothered with it really. The rumour is that Harper Lee didn't even write it- don't know if it's true or not? But to be honest Capote is better than this.... controversial you might say?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2010 12:05 PM GMT

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

3.0 out of 5 stars Over rated? Yes. Good? ...Yes, 19 May 2008
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I suppose I hate over-rated books and go in hoping to hate this but I have to admit I did enjoy it. Its not, I don't think a great American novel. It's okay and it's an interesting story but I wouldn't say it's great. Also I have problems with people saying that it's a coming of age story. In a coming of age story people grow up, we see them grow up and change from boy to man. In this book though, we follow the protagonist Holden for a few days. I was also surprised at how non-imaginative and flat the narrative was, easy to read for the most part though which makes it quick and not too much hard work. So I'd say read it for yourself and see what the fuss is about.

1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four (Penguin Modern Classics)
1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars scary, 19 May 2008
Its scary how this book could be almost documentary like, everything, although this is almost like a sci fi novel, you can imagine being real. There was so much detail, so much to think about it leaves you realing for ages after. Can't say enough good things about this book. Its every bit as good as its reputation (which is rare) so I suggest everyone reads it, if only to find out what happens when the real big brother is watching.

Perfume (Penguin Modern Classics)
Perfume (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Patrick Suskind

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 19 May 2008
I have nothing but praise for this beautifully written book. It's amazing how one can write about something that can only be smelt so realistically. The story is of an outsider and is portrayed not as someone that likes nothing and no-one but someone who is obsessed only with the world of scent.
Bit of trivia for Nirvana fans, this book was one of Cobain's favourites and the song 'scentless apprentice' was based on it. There you go if theres any reason to read it......

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Page Turner, 19 May 2008
I've only just finished reading this book and I can't praise it enough. As someone that worries about the consequences of having children this book really spoke to me. As I was reading it I had to wonder how a man 'Lionel Shriver' could make a detailed account of a woman's body, wants and apprehension. I later found out that Lionel is actually a woman and now it makes sense.
The book is a real page turner and once you're about half way through you'll be racing towards the end. The end is also not a shock but shocking in more ways than one- I won't give the story away.

Page: 1 | 2