Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Moondreams" (Portsmouth, England)

Faithfull TARPCLIPS Instant Clip on Tarpaulin Eyelets (Pack of 4)
Faithfull TARPCLIPS Instant Clip on Tarpaulin Eyelets (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I used this clips for putting up a flag at ..., 5 April 2016
I used this clips for putting up a flag at Formula 1 races last year as eyelets were only on one side and it was too much fuss to put them on the other side. These did the job perfectly. Need to buy more because they proved so popular with the people I was with that I ended up sharing them and losing track of them! Grip is firm and leaves no marks on the fabric. I was using light material and it still did the job well.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Iron Patriot Minifigure Limited Edition (PS3)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Iron Patriot Minifigure Limited Edition (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun with a small number of issues, 18 Nov. 2013
I have always loved the Lego games. They're great fun to play and not too taxing but still proving a challenge. I've played Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, LOTR and Lego City Undercover and this is like a mix of the previous two.

You follow the main plot which consists of 15 levels, switching between several groups of superheroes (Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men etc.) which is fun and there seems to be a much wider array of abilities to use. This can get a bit confusing at times, trying to remember who can do what and seeing things in levels that you can't use yet but you get used to it pretty quickly. You also have Agent Coulson giving you hints every once in a while which it's handy.

New York is available to you quite early on but I recommend that you stay focused on the plot and wait to do the exploring until you finish and have all the character abilities you could need. As well as the 15 plot levels, there are 11 bonus levels within the New York hub buildings (Daily Bugle, Statue of Liberty, Stark Tower etc.) which are a lot of fun to play and are the only places where you can get Red Bricks (or Deadpool Bricks as they are known here).

Speaking of Deadpool, his random cameos throughout the game had me in stitches and the collectible 'Stan Lee in Peril' is just brilliant.

I always liked the non-verbal quality of the original games and wondered how it would work with voice actors here, especially with so many people used to the movie actors but it works well enough. A lot of actors from Earth's Mightiest Heroes/Avengers Assemble reprise their voice roles so will be familiar to some and Nolan North is back for Deadpool and Clark Gregg for Coulson. And Stan Lee as Stan Lee, of course.

I started playing the game Friday night and had finished the main plot by Sunday lunch but hadn't even breached 20%. There is SO MUCH to explore and unlock and it's a lot of fun. It's also helpful to use a flying character to zip around New York quickly with the aid of your map which functions much the same way as the Middle Earth one in LOTR.

I like that they've changed the character purchasing mode in that you don't have to track down characters to buy them or find a terminal of sorts to unlock them. Once you have the token, you can just bring up the character menu (by holding triangle) and purchase them from there. But you can only do this in the hub, not while playing a level so make sure you have the relevant characters before diving into Freeplay.

There are some minor issues I've had so far. The Lego games have ALWAYS been the glitchiest games I have ever played and this one appears to be no different. I have had to shut my console off several times where the screen has just frozen because my character just seems to do a move too fast or something, or one gets stuck in an area and can't be retrieved. The one saving grace here is that each plot level has a number of checkpoints where you can save so you shouldn't have to start a level from scratch if it crashes near the end.

My other issue is the flying controls. They are a bit of a nightmare. It's OK for just flying around the city but there are a number of timed flying missions that I don't even come close to finishing. I've never been very good at them in any game but it's looking a little hopeless for me at the moment but I hope to get a better handle on the controls as I keep going.

Overall, a great game with plenty to keep you busy well after you've 'finished'.

Dangerous Work: Diary of an Arctic Adventure
Dangerous Work: Diary of an Arctic Adventure
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant early discovery..., 12 Jan. 2013
An absolutely fabulous book. If you are in any way an Arthur Conan Doyle fan then I cannot recommend this book enough. It is one of his earliest works, presumably never intended for publishing seeing as he had ample opportunity to do so himself, and yet it still retains the fun and tight narrative that he employed in his fiction later on.

The book revolves around his 6/7 month journey through the Arctic on a whaling expedition to bring oil, blubber and bone back to sell. Naturally, there are some graphic depictions of events throughout so if you are especially sensitive to animal cruelty then maybe this isn't the book to read. It does help to remember that this was in a completely different era and that it wasn't for sport but for keeping people in work and able to survive. Arthur himself does say numerous times throughout what a shame it is to have to make the 'poor brutes' suffer.

He maintained an official log for the SS Hope but what we have here is his own personal recollections of the entire journey with no day missed, despite how dismal and uneventful some days were. So while we are given the statistics on longitude and latitude, the wind direction, the haul of the day and specific events, we also get an insight into a 20 year old Doyle and how the whole experience shaped him.

Some of the highlights for me were:

- His recounting of a tale from their Captain of how he almost lost his life in London many years back.
- His description of one of the crew of the ship; a 'handsome outlaw' that would stalk around the ship mysteriously and rarely say a word to anyone but had a vicious temper on him. The vivid description was worthy of a piece of fiction and you almost wanted him to be a main character in another Arctic story.
- Arthur's description of a dream he had that is just dripping with anxiety. Anyone that has ever had a dream about missing out on an exam will be able to empathise completely.
- His attachment to a sea snail - 'John Thomas' - that he catches from the Arctic depths.

It's a great account of whaling and Arctic travel in the late 1800's as well as seeing Arthur's early encounters in his medical capacity.

On a more broad view, the book is beautifully put together. It is a nice coffee table size, not exactly made for portability but it can be done. It has a dust jacket and a blank cover underneath. There is an introduction describing how the journey came about and the general impact it had on Arthur's life before going into the actual content. It is split into three journals and they are all presented as facsimiles of the actual journals themselves. For a medico in training, Arthur has surprisingly neat handwriting that isn't too difficult to read once you get used to the repetition of certain words and his style of writing. But for ease of reading, the whole journal has been annotated in the second part along with numerous footnotes to elaborate on certain points with explanation or further source background. It also includes two letters that he sent home to his mum during the timescale.

Arthur would draw several doodles that appear within the journal in black and white or colour. Ones that have been folded over within the journal are shown on a separate page.

After the journal and annotation, there is a section about how the Arctic moulded Arthur afterwards and how it would show up in his works and his life. They also include two articles that he wrote about the Arctic and two pieces of fiction - The Captain and the "Pole Star" and the Holmes story The Adventure of Black Peter - to demonstrate how the experience would find its way into his later works.

Overall, it is a fantastic addition to the Arthur Conan Doyle collection and a real gem for insight into this fascinating man. There is the question of whether he would have wanted it published as he obviously never did so himself but I think it is a positive reflection on his wild, humorous and jovial personality. A definite must read.

The Universal Mirror
The Universal Mirror

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent page-turner of a fantasy!, 7 Mar. 2012
I was falling behind on my target of books to read and so I flicked through my Kindle, trying to find a book under 200 pages. Lo and behold, I came across this one, a book I had stumbled across for free on Amazon. I'm quite partial to fantasy and this sounded interesting so I thought it would be a good filler book...

Oh my, was it so much more than that. I honestly am tempted to give it 5 stars but I am very tight when it comes to that honour, having only done so with a few books. But this was the very definition of a page-turner for me. It's also infuriating (in the best possible way) that the chapters are so short because the temptation of saying "well, just one more..." is overwhelming!

The plot is actually quite minimal, telling the story of how it is a Heresy for magic to be performed on the human body and the struggle of two magicians to find out why. But the world and the characters involved is so rich and interesting that I would classify this more as a character piece. Even the magic is described with such energy and rawness that it almost becomes a character in itself, crackling off the pages (or screen, in my case). I was drawn in immediately by all the characters (Why was Quentin risking so much for this? What was Catharine's real issue with Quent? How did Asahel get mixed up in this?) and I wanted questions answered at the end of every chapter. Felix was probably my favourite character; right from his introduction I found him very intriguing. I also think Catharine came into her own in the second half of the book and became a really well-rounded character. Asahel and Quentin are great central characters, especially for their vast differences and I liked how it would flit between the two perspectives without getting jumbled and confusing.

My favourite chapter was probably the flashback to the time at the university, it gave a really nice insight into the relationship between Asahel, Quentin and Felix. Pretty much everyone can relate to bullying to a certain degree and the pressure and insecurities that plagued Asahel were so palpable, I wanted to bash heads.

Speaking of relationships; I believe that to be the gem of the whole story. The aspect of magic and the whole history of the Heresies etc. is all very well thought out and put across but it's how everyone interacts that elevated it for me. The desperation Quentin felt to be shown love from his wife, his wife's inability to give it to him, Asahel's need for companionship with anyone which he finds in Quentin and Felix's incomprehension of this friendship and his own regrets at how he treated Asahel. All of these relationships evolved in some way during the course of the story to a very satisfying degree, as well as inter-connecting amongst themselves.

Pacing wise, I have already said that it is a page-turner, each chapter ending at a point where you just have to know what's happening next. While you may not think much is happening in each chapter, it's so tightly written that you don't really notice the build-up until you're there. It's the small things that drive this book for me.

I sincerely hope that Ms. Perkins is considering revisiting Cercia at some point in the future. I would love to catch up with Quentin and Catharine and Asahel and Felix, follow them on more adventures. Or, maybe just return to the island with some new characters to see how they are dealing with this new world that has been opened up to them.

A truly excellent book, and I greatly look forward to reading more from Gwen Perkins, whether it is based in this universe or an entirely separate one.

(Oh, and just a side not for anyone getting this on Kindle...be aware that the end of the book is actually around 80% in. It threw me for a bit of a curve when I thought I had another 20% to go and it was samples of other books. There's nothing wrong with the ending, it was an appropriate place to stop it, it was just a bit jarring.)

The Frighteners [DVD]
The Frighteners [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem!, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: The Frighteners [DVD] (DVD)
I feel that this is a hugely under-rated film. Prior to Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson just wanted to have fun and that's what The Frighteners is...fun. The Director's Cut is definitely the version to watch taking it a little over two hours. There are occasional slow moments but, for the most part, it keeps a great pace.

Everyone turns in a great performance, it's nice to see Michael J. Fox in a slightly different role as he doesn't play it directly as a comedy but is still funny and likeable. Trini Alvarado is a good female lead and works well with Fox. Frank's ghostly chums are all played fairly over the top but are entertaining and don't wear out their welcome and Dee Wallace Stone is fantastic in a very different role than usual. It is Jeffrey Combs, however, playing the crazed FBI agent Milton Dammers, that steals the entire movie. His screen time is fairly limited but what he gets, he absolutely makes the most of. Every line, every mannerism is hysterical while still remaining unnerving. It's such a multi-layered performance and is an absolute joy to watch.

Danny Elfman provides a wonderfully haunting score and Peter Jacksn's directing is as appropriate as ever. Often manic and busy, you can definitely see the makings of an Oscar winner. The CGI effects are impressive for the time although they may seem a little dated now. The one gripe I have about this movie is that the beginning doesn't make a whole lot of sense once you've seen the entire movie.

Overall, this is a movie that never fails to cheer me up. It makes me laugh and it works well as a 'horror' movie too in a mad-capped kinda way. As for the DVD, I recommend the 4 disc set that comes with a documentary over 2 discs that goes into extreme detail. Jackson's commentary is also well-worth a listen. A must for fans of the quirky, Michael J. Fox and especially Jeffrey Combs.

The Frighteners - 4 Disc Special Edition