Profile for Janie S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book., 27 July 2015
Don't make the mistake of thinking this book will be exactly the same as the film, which I found absolutely hysterically funny. Fun-loving Madge, frustrated Norman & lovely Evelyn are more or less the same but the others are changed, with more detail to their characters, and further people are added to the mix to bring in extra stories & backgrounds, though whether this is a good thing or not I leave for you to decide. A lovely book though, enjoyable & recommended.

French Fried: one man's move to France with too many animals and an identity thief

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 22 July 2015
This book is an absolute hoot, laugh-out-loud funny from start to finish. The hound from hell, neurotic cats & paranoid horse pad out this really funny story of moving to France, with the language problems a constant source of anguish & Nan adding a surreal touch. Hysterical. Recommended.

The Island Escape
The Island Escape

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 21 July 2015
This review is from: The Island Escape (Kindle Edition)
This book takes you into the lives of 2 friends whose husbands each treat them like possessions. It's written in an easy style, alternating chapters between the women, which makes this book ideal for holiday reading by the pool. The ending is a bit predictable, neatly tying up all the ends, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading
Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the effort., 18 July 2015
Superficial, predictable rubbish written in poor English. Is this tripe supposed to be funny? I can't believe that anyone would find it amusing, & the obligatory smattering of f-words was the final straw. Not worth even 1 star. Disappointing.

Where She Went
Where She Went

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 9 July 2015
This review is from: Where She Went (Kindle Edition)
This is so much better than "If I stay". The story is more coherent & is actually quite interesting, resolving all the left-over questions from the first book which I didn't like at all.

If I Stay
If I Stay

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is different., 5 July 2015
This review is from: If I Stay (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if I like this book. There's too much background for the foreground content, makes for a very disjointed story. Disappointing.

Kalimera Squid!: An Expat in Cyprus
Kalimera Squid!: An Expat in Cyprus

3.0 out of 5 stars A diary, not a novel., 4 July 2015
Having lived in Cyprus for some time in the 80s, I wasn't over-impressed by this book. It's very much a case of "we did this, the next day we did something else", peppered with Greek phrases & stereotype locals who all seem to be black-clad, smiling & salt of the earth. Where are the wide-boys, the people who promise the earth (maybe!) & the swindlers who would sell their mothers for a fast buck? Do I sound disillusioned? I have to say that I was glad to come home, but we did miss the fruit & the sun.

A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful book., 1 July 2015
Laugh-out-loud funny, unputdownable account of an ex-pat's first year in his new house in France. The pitfalls & benefits of moving on a whim are told with a definite tongue in cheek charm, great fun. Recommended.

Us
Us

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy book., 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Us (Kindle Edition)
This is a strange book. I enjoyed it, but the unravelling of a marriage is not usually something I would choose to read about. The relationship with the son is uncomfortable from the start, the wife's unhappiness is obvious but Douglas can't see it. I wanted to hit him over the head with a box of petrie dishes! And the switching between past & present I found unsettling. I probably won't read this again.

Set Me Free (Glen Avich)
Set Me Free (Glen Avich)

3.0 out of 5 stars Another episode from Glen Avich., 8 May 2015
This book is a bit predictable & too good to be true, but still a good story which holds your interest from the first page. The short chapters make it easy to take a break, so good to read on holiday, but you need a good memory or you'll forget who's who!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15