Profile for Janie S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
If I Stay
If I Stay

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is different., 5 July 2015
This review is from: If I Stay (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if I like this book. There's too much background for the foreground content, makes for a very disjointed story. Disappointing.

Kalimera Squid!: An Expat in Cyprus
Kalimera Squid!: An Expat in Cyprus

3.0 out of 5 stars A diary, not a novel., 4 July 2015
Having lived in Cyprus for some time in the 80s, I wasn't over-impressed by this book. It's very much a case of "we did this, the next day we did something else", peppered with Greek phrases & stereotype locals who all seem to be black-clad, smiling & salt of the earth. Where are the wide-boys, the people who promise the earth (maybe!) & the swindlers who would sell their mothers for a fast buck? Do I sound disillusioned? I have to say that I was glad to come home, but we did miss the fruit & the sun.

A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful book., 1 July 2015
Laugh-out-loud funny, unputdownable account of an ex-pat's first year in his new house in France. The pitfalls & benefits of moving on a whim are told with a definite tongue in cheek charm, great fun. Recommended.

Us
Us

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a happy book., 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Us (Kindle Edition)
This is a strange book. I enjoyed it, but the unravelling of a marriage is not usually something I would choose to read about. The relationship with the son is uncomfortable from the start, the wife's unhappiness is obvious but Douglas can't see it. I wanted to hit him over the head with a box of petrie dishes! And the switching between past & present I found unsettling. I probably won't read this again.

Set Me Free
Set Me Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Another episode from Glen Avich., 8 May 2015
This review is from: Set Me Free (Kindle Edition)
This book is a bit predictable & too good to be true, but still a good story which holds your interest from the first page. The short chapters make it easy to take a break, so good to read on holiday, but you need a good memory or you'll forget who's who!

Monday to Friday Man
Monday to Friday Man

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable tosh., 4 May 2015
I didn't care for this book much. The story is very superficial & predictable, I won't be reading it again. Disappointing. Not recommended.

Take Me Home
Take Me Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book., 26 April 2015
This review is from: Take Me Home (Kindle Edition)
This is a fitting sequel to Watch Over Me, using some of the previous characters to fill out the story of Inary (what a lovely name), who has "the sight". The scenes of village life in Glen Avich are well-drawn & I felt very close to the action, so much so that I didn't want the story to end. Great book. Unputdownable. Recommended.

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the politically correct., 25 April 2015
This book is set in 1935, when common language and attitudes in the Deep South were very different to today. The politically correct will be offended, everyone else will be grateful we've moved on and people are just people, no matter what their colour. This classic story about one man's battle to save a black man from wrongful conviction, and the education of his children in the rights of others to live their life as they see fit, should be required reading in every school. Unputdownable. Recommended.

Summer with my Sister
Summer with my Sister

3.0 out of 5 stars A pool book., 16 April 2015
Not in the least demanding & a bit predictable, this is a great book to read by the pool. Would have had more stars without the Anglo-Saxon language - am I the only person who can do without the swearing? That said, undemanding & easy to read.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley

3.0 out of 5 stars Life & death at Pemberley., 15 April 2015
I enjoyed this continuation of Pride & Prejudice, but would anyone read this who hadn't already read P&P? The constant recaps were annoying to say the least, & detracted from the pace of a plot which was already very leisurely - hence only 3 stars. Jane Austen is incomparable in my eyes, this is an imitation but not quite up to snuff. Sorry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15