Profile for makeupmad > Reviews

OPI Gwen Stefani Holiday 2014 Nail Polish Collection - Snow Globetrotter 15ml
OPI Gwen Stefani Holiday 2014 Nail Polish Collection - Snow Globetrotter 15ml
Offered by ADKNAILS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!, 13 Feb. 2015
Beautiful sparkly top coat.

The Burning Air
The Burning Air
by Erin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Could someone please explain the ending for me?, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
Started brilliantly, like her other books. Excellent twist in the middle. Hard to put down until it became farcical in places and was so disappointed with the twist near the end. Furthermore, the author seemed not to know how to finish, sadly, and I was left very disappointed and confused.

Tenax Soft Plant Ties
Tenax Soft Plant Ties

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tenax Soft Plant Ties
Would not buy again. Far too thick and unwieldy.

New 400 Nail Art Wipes Polish Acrylic Gel Tips Remover
New 400 Nail Art Wipes Polish Acrylic Gel Tips Remover
Offered by highqualityforyou

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but would pay more for better quality, 1 Sept. 2014
Too thin, stick together, only redeeming feature is that they don't fluff up.

Socks Matrix L (9-12)
Socks Matrix L (9-12)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cricket socks, 1 Sept. 2014
Good price, nice socks (well, so my husband says).

Wahl 9639-800 Professional Clip N Rinse Washable Haircutting Kit with Trimmer
Wahl 9639-800 Professional Clip N Rinse Washable Haircutting Kit with Trimmer
Offered by Ukdapper

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, just not for us, 8 May 2014
Well built, well designed, lightweight but sturdy. But sadly no good for my husband - the shortest guard didn't cut short enough, but to use no guard would have ended up scalping him!! Had to return. If you want a very close cut, but not the shaven look, then this is no good for you.

I Still Dream About You
I Still Dream About You
by Fannie Flagg

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 8 May 2014
This was my first Fannie Flagg, and it might must well be my last!! Just didn't know how to take it - is it meant to be funny ? Is it meant to be insightful? The main character was not rounded enough for the reader to have any empathy with her, and as for her rival, Babs, I found myself scoffing with (humourless) laughter. The back story was a missed opportunity IMHO, what a waste of what could have been fascinating.
I did finish it, but it is not going back on my bookshelf. Sorry.

Belle (Belle 1)
Belle (Belle 1)
by Lesley Pearse

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!!, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Belle (Belle 1) (Paperback)
Why oh why did I waste hours of my life, trying to get even half way through this drivel? I am no "literary" snob, but hey, this was simplistic, repetitive, non-descriptive drivel. The main character was laughable and yet the author could so easily have made her someone you warmed to. Without the constant, every page, repetition, this book would have been a quarter the size, Do publishers not employ editors any more?
I beg you to read all the negative reviews, they will be so much better written than mine!!

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret
by Liane Moriarty

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguingly good read, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Ignore the bad reviews!! Anyway, it's horses for courses, isn't it? I am hyper critical when it comes to books, but I have to say I really enjoyed this one. No, it's not "literature", but a damned good read, written in a very different style that keeps you wanting to leap from chapter to chapter. I found the characters quite real, actually, not stereotypes at all, and I had some sympathy with all of them (well, bar one - see next paragraph).

Why have I given it only 4 stars? Because, like others, I found the ending rather rushed - but don't you find that so many authors struggle at this point? As if they just don't know how to finish. And the one character on whom the whole pack of cards lies, who I wanted to smack, well, I don't want to give anything away .....

The Honey Queen
The Honey Queen
by Cathy Kelly

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book!, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Honey Queen (Paperback)
This book was badly edited, with repetition on every page. I could give so many examples just in the first chapter, but, unlike the author, I really don't want to pad out my review. I wasn't sure if she was writing for the US market, either - we call them mobile phones here, Cathy, not cells, and it's "aeroplane", not airplane. Just a couple of examples.

The characters were pathetically, embarrassingly simplistic, and the author wrote as if we were children that needed everything explained to us over and over again. But when it came to descriptions of feelings, she was woefully inept. You can't just say someone was grieving fgs, you have to say HOW they feel!!

I have actually given up after about 30 pages. How come there are so many good reviews? Will certainly not be trying any more of this writer's books ....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4