Profile for M. R. Bruce > Reviews

Long Life 10 X G4 10 Watt Halogen 12 V Light Bulbs Lamps
Long Life 10 X G4 10 Watt Halogen 12 V Light Bulbs Lamps
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well lit lights and light too, 23 Jan 2014
This is only a light hearted review of the lights. A review lite if you prefer. The packaging itself was light, which is good for cheap postage and carrying long distances. The package arrived at my office and when I was walking home, I was approached by a man who asked me for a light. As this was a pack of ten, I was able to give him one and still enjoy the other nine.

The light colour of the packaging was pleasing to the eye when caught in the right light. The lights themselves were disappointingly dull at first, but then I had my lightbulb moment and inserted them into my Ikea hanging light and with . the flick of the light switch, on they went, bright as the sun (if the sun were 10 watts).

I am unsure if 6 sets of 10 watt light bulbs equals 60watts of light. If anyone knows the answer to this, please pat yourself on the back and be sure to let me know. I will only accept a full answer (including any appropriate scientific formula) which has been endorsed by a local physics teacher.

Ralph is (not) a Superhero: 1
Ralph is (not) a Superhero: 1
by Corinne V. Davies
Price: 5.46

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great book, 23 Jan 2014
One of the best gifts you can give your children is cherished memories and your time. I read this to my little ones and was able to give them both. Thank you Corinne V. Davies

Pineapple Women's Ankle/Wrist Weight 3Lb
Pineapple Women's Ankle/Wrist Weight 3Lb
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ornament, 23 Jan 2014
Cost and delivery were great. The product itself does exactly what it says it does. Fits well and the Velcro makes that satisfying kkkriiiiiiipppp sound when you unfasten the weights.

The biggest problem is that I bought them with good intent but unfortunately I have been too lazy to put them to much use. The irony of having them on whilst taking a swig of full fat coke was not lost on me.

I have found some alternate use for them however, which only goes to justify my 5 star review.

1) Avoid pesky gusts of wind ruining your neatly piled stack of paper by shoving the weight on top of the pile
2) give one to your best mate and you can act out the "bracelet buddy" scene from friends
3) give to your wife as a stocking filler (she may take this the wrong way as mine did)
4) wear at the start of a weight watchers meeting and remove for the next one and gain the accolade of loosing 2 lbs (this allows you to put on 1lb between meetings)
5) Give them to your opponent in a badminton game to say they will improve their game and watch as their drop shots sail into the stratosphere.

5 uses 5 stars. Probably work well for intended purposes too.

Dell Alienware AW2310 23 inch 3D Full HD Widescreen Monitor
Dell Alienware AW2310 23 inch 3D Full HD Widescreen Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Good God - Awesome!, 26 April 2010
Simply awesome effects with this monitor.

My only quibble is why is it almost 100 more on Amazon? I would love to see Dell products on Amazon especially Alienware - but not at a 25% price hike!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 8:59 PM GMT

BT Equinox 1350 - DECT Cordless Phone Twith Digital Answering Machine - Twin Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened to BT ?, 16 Jun 2008
In days gone by, BT was a name you could rely on to produce quality phone products and services, to be fair they were the only phone company that existed.

My guess is that in trying to keep up with the competition, their standards have slipped, a lot.

This telephone is really, really bad. I arrived home one day to find the police at the door - why? - because about 6 months after owning this phone, it has started to answer itself on the charge unit, my brother thought someone was in my house.

If it does not answer itself, it just decides to turn itself off after a few seconds of use. The phone books did not share between handsets, and the sim card reader did not work.

Finally, if you have kids or even a wife, you may find you are constantly searching for the handsets - the lack of "page" facility is crazy - they had it in the 80s!

BT - get it right - I am buying from Panasonic.

Fires of Prophecy: Book Two of the Morcyth Saga
Fires of Prophecy: Book Two of the Morcyth Saga
by Brian S Pratt

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Money, 22 April 2008
Rather than spending 70-80 pounds on the series, buy just one book and re-read over and over 7 times.

The only insparational thing about this series, is that it can inspire any one to write. If these books can sell anything will.

If you have any doubts read my review of the first book. I brought 7 of them in one go following a glowing review - and hated every one.

Tolkein, Eddings, Hickman, Feist - they are 5 star books - this is not even in the same league.

The Unsuspecting Mage: Book One of the Morcyth Saga
The Unsuspecting Mage: Book One of the Morcyth Saga
by Brian S Pratt

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst saga ever, 14 Jan 2008
My justification in giving a poor review is that I have bought up to book 7 now, as I always hoped they would get better and improve but sadly not.

The premis is simple enough, a moderen day teen is sent to a world of magic - where he is the magician - simple enough.

The story unfolds quickly enough into fighting and magic.

As a BIG fantasy fan of Eddings, Feist, Weis, Hickman et all I had high hopes for this, but trust me when i say, this is amateur writing at best.

Pratt starts off with "Rhyming" to make magic work, then provides an excuse to stop the need for rhymes for the spell casting - my thought is that he becmae as embarrrassed as i did reading the awful dialogue.

The main character has as much depth as Miss World. He immediately assumes the role of the champion of moral virtue and maturity, and comes across as a condescending little brat. This is the first time I have actually hated the hero and hoped he died.

Pratt seems a very poor and lazy writer and the amount of times that the main character and his cronies are outnumbered and "the ground errupts throwing men and horses every which way" is dull.

The love interest introduced is comical, as well as the old friends return in about book 4 or 5. This is not is spolier.

If you are young and want a good fantasy read, go for the Belgariad by David Eddings as a classic story, avoid this. I share in Pratts inability to convey a good story if I have left you in any doubt as to how bad these books are.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 7:32 PM GMT

Oxford First Encyclopedia
Oxford First Encyclopedia
by Andrew Langley

5.0 out of 5 stars primary 1 and 2 homework made easy, 14 Jan 2008
This encyclopedia is a must buy for parents who care about their kids education.

Combined with the kids dictonary - homework is a great fun. I am an utter git and made the kids look up the topic and read it then help them out.

Makes them think and learn from themselves and I am sure it impresses the teacher when we find some obscure fact and shove it in.

Dont expect it to be of any use for a University education, nor will it cover every subject under the sun. But it does cover the "Sun" and "Universities".

Universal Platoon 18" Boys Mountain Bike
Universal Platoon 18" Boys Mountain Bike

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad - but not 1st class, 14 Jan 2008
The bike comes more or less pre made, but you need to attach the front wheel, handlebars and pedals - not big deal - kinda.

The wee guy needed stabalisers, and unscrewing the nut on the rear wheels was a hand breaking experiance, and you have no chance of doing so with the spanner supplied. Also there is only a tiny bit of room to fit the stabaliser attachemnt, so I dont have too much faith in them to be honest - which is not the best.

Both front and back breaks stick to the wheel. They WILL wear down so this will be less of a problem - but for all new cyling enthusiasts, every bit of friction is hard enough for the little uns to pedal.

All that said, it is birght and shiny and looks good for the kids, and is a good price. Not perfect but it is certainly value for money as it is cheap and will do for a starting bike - when it stops raining that is.

GSP Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker (PC)
GSP Who Do You Think You Are? Family Tree Maker (PC)
Offered by kaboodal
Price: 19.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a big advert!, 14 Jan 2008
I had high hopes to assist with the tracking of relations - however as good as the tree maker may be (excel can do the same) you need to spend more money if you want to register product and take advantages of the internet registry searches - and i dont have much faith in them to be honest.

If you are happy spending another ten pound here and there, then this is for you, but as a stocking filler for my wife - not the best - unless your surname is Snexergytimson, or you have time to search through the 4 million hits for the surname Smith....

Page: 1 | 2