Profile for Music Mad Me! > Reviews

Content by Music Mad Me!

Music Mad Me! (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
We Are The Royal
We Are The Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Band - Rare these days!, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: We Are The Royal (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Royal Republic by listening to their track, 'President's Daughter', on the 'Discover Download' CD which came with my copy of Classic Rock magazine Issue 159. I liked the track so much that I went out and bought this album on the strength of just this one track. I wasn't disappointed, there isn't a bad track on the whole album, every track is a manic infusion of rock and fun! A great album to break the ice at parties!

Royal Republic remind me of a mix of Electric Six, The Hives, OK!Go and Turbonegro, (all 'mad' fun bands) rolled in to one! Far too many bands take themselves too seriously these days, and it makes a welcome change, to add Royal Republic to the above named, who put the fun back in to the music industry.

Go buy!

Fire
Zodiac
Oh No

Roberts Dreamtime DAB/FM RDS Digital Clock Radio with Dual Alarm
Roberts Dreamtime DAB/FM RDS Digital Clock Radio with Dual Alarm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DAB Clock Radio, 21 Jun. 2011
I've had this radio for a couple of months now, and so far I've been very pleased with it. Yes, even when the radio is dimmed to its lowest setting it's still very bright, but I have got used to it, and it isn't a problem for me. However beware that it is quite bright! Even on the lowest setting you can see reasonably well in the room without turning on a light!

The electric went off for over 4 hours the other day, and I expected to have to reset the clock, however I was pleasantly surprised that when the power was restored it showed the correct time and the alarm was at the set time too. The only thing that had changed was the brightness setting, it was at its brightest setting! However a doddle to put back to the normal setting for me.

So far the Clock Radio appears to be very good. I write this with caution however, because when I reviewed an Intempo DAB radio a few years ago singing its praises, just over the 2 year guarantee period it stopped working, and Intempo wanted a huge sum to take a look at it and I would have had to pay postage on top of that! But as I say this DAB Clock Radio so far is an enjoyable and practical product.

Theatre of Death: Live at Hammersmith 2009
Theatre of Death: Live at Hammersmith 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars The Godfather of Rock Returns with his 'Theatre of Death' Show, 26 Oct. 2010
The Godfather of rock, Alice Cooper is back with his latest release, a spectacular DVD/CD 2-Disc collection of his 'Theatre of Death' show filmed at the Hammersmith Apollo, London in December 2009.

The show treats us to over 90 minutes of excellent entertainment from the master showman of rock and theatricals. As always a great band line-up, this time around we have the endless talents of Chuck Garric (bass), Keri Kelli (guitar), Jimmy Degrasso (drums) and Damon Johnson (guitar). Alice's vocals and seemingly limitless energy are, as always, astounding, and far outshine many much younger frontmen in other rock bands today.

Obviously very difficult to include songs from all of his albums having released many during his illustrious career since the 1970s, but we are treated to many favourites: School's Out, I'm Eighteen, Welcome to My Nightmare, Poison, Only Women Bleed, Dirty Diamonds, Billion Dollar Babies to name but a few, but no 'Elected' this time around.

The theatricals include not just one Alice execution but several throughout the show, and the nurse this time is portrayed by Tiffany Lowe.

Like all Alice Cooper shows you never want it to end, and this one is no exception.

This DVD/CD 2-Disc collection won't disappoint, both in value, entertainment and musical quality. Recommended for all, including those who have yet to discover the musical and theatrical talents of Alice Cooper.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2010 2:34 PM GMT

Panasonic KX-TG2512ET DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set - Black
Panasonic KX-TG2512ET DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cordless Phone Set, 24 Aug. 2010
I replaced my old BT Cordless Phone set with this Panasonic one after reading various good reviews.

I haven't been disappointed at all. Not having a function which transferred all the phone book info from the main handset to the other, was slightly time consuming initially, but when you've entered all the numbers etc. it was no problem to add further ones, and the procedure was easy to do. The phone has a lovely clear reception even on ECO mode, (which reduces the signal power) so there is no problem in leaving the ECO mode on all the time.

However, the choice of ring tones leave a little to be desired! The worst one is probably the one which also includes birdsong with the ring!! But this is such a small gripe, and I still think that the phone set deserves 5 stars.

So all in all this phone set is an excellent value for money item.

Sony DVPFX730W 7-inch Portable DVD Player - White
Sony DVPFX730W 7-inch Portable DVD Player - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality player, 12 May 2010
I've had this player for a few weeks now, and find that the playback quality is excellent, ease of use good etc. The only one slight niggle is that each time the player is switched off the picture size reverts back to 4.3 as default. Which means that you have to select 'options' and go through a procedure (allbeit short and simple) to select the picture 'full screen'. Having looked through the manual there doesn't seem to be a way of resetting the picture default size. But even with this small niggle I have no regrets in buying this.

The player doesn't come with any earphones, or bag to store it in, however it's worth considering the Hama case (see my review) as it has lots of space for both the player and accessories.

DVD Player Bag + DVD CD Holders
DVD Player Bag + DVD CD Holders

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable DVD Player case!, 12 May 2010
Great case for a Portable DVD player. Very well made, padded, lots of pockets for accessories (DVDs, cables, earphones, mains plug etc), and main compartment for the player itself. Can't recommend it enough.

New Boots And Panties!
New Boots And Panties!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sweet Ian Dury, Young and Old and Gone'!, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: New Boots And Panties! (Audio CD)
What can I say! For all fans of the 'late, great' Ian Dury this two-disc edition is a must, just for the DVD disc alone. The film, from 'Sight & Sound in Concert' was of a far superior quality than I ever expected it to be, and 30 minutes of sheer delight. Seeing Mr Dury at his captivating best, doing what he loved, aided and abetted by The Blockheads.

I already own a copy of 'New Boots and Panties' on CD with bonus tracks, but the CD in this edition has two tracks not on that one, 'Close To Home' and 'Two Steep Hills'.

So, until we get a DVD with more late 1970s concert footage, and perhaps the inclusion of the videos of the single releases, this two-disc set is a must to own, well worth the money.

Note: The only other Ian Dury & The Blockheads DVD of which I am aware of was released in 2003, and entitled 'Hold On To Your Structure', filmed at the London Hammersmith Odeon in 1985, and is just under 60 minutes in length.

The Other Boleyn Girl [DVD] [2003]
The Other Boleyn Girl [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Natascha McElhone

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing!, 22 Jan. 2009
The reviews of this BBC drama were very good and I was rather looking forward to receiving this, after having pre-ordered it several months before its release on DVD.
However, on watching, I was rather disappointed. The 'video diary' format I found a little irritating, and the picture quality awful, especially when most of us are used to HD quality viewing. Perhaps the grainy picture was intended by the BBC to give 'atmosphere', but it didn't work for me.

Things Ain't What They Used to be
Things Ain't What They Used to be
by Philip Glenister

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 24 Nov. 2008
A great trip down memory lane for those who remember the 1970s and 1980s. But also a great read for all who are interested in nostalgia. Philip Glenister shares his memories with us, and they will make you smile. You wouldn't think that things have changed that much since the 70s, but they have! A few photographs of some of the items mentioned would have been of interest, but a great book non the less. The perfect book to own.

Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World
Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World
by Tommy Steele

5.0 out of 5 stars Great readable autobiography, 3 Oct. 2007
This book will surprise you. Pleasantly, I may add!
After reading the back cover in the book shop, it appealed to me, as I am interested in reading about WW2. But, I didn't know how well written, and thoroughly absorbing Tommy Steele's 'child to manhood' would be, particularly his days as a merchant sailor, before he found fame.
Like Norman Wisdom's autobiography, it's a 'must have' to read.

Page: 1 | 2