Profile for Dr. C. Portman > Reviews

Dr. C. Portman

Lascal Buggyboard Maxi
Lascal Buggyboard Maxi

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - when it's not broken, 19 Feb. 2015
We've got this attached to a Maclaren pushchair, but while it works well for my wife, I find my feet hit the buggy board when walked down even a slight incline. Going downhill, I usually find myself awkwardly pushing it out to my side. It does the job well, though, even if it has made our son lazy! Our childminder loves it.

That said, within 5.5 months of buying it, the same connector has snapped twice and we've had to wait a total of five weeks for new parts to be sent to us. Bizarrely, the second time it happened, Cheeky Rascals, who I think must be the UK distributor claimed "As you have had your board for a length of time the break is not considered to be a manufacturing fault". Which means, I think, they're saying the board is supposed to last no more than four or five months?

Web Design for ROI: Turning Browsers into Buyers and Prospects into Leads
Web Design for ROI: Turning Browsers into Buyers and Prospects into Leads
by Lance Loveday

5.0 out of 5 stars A different look on things, 30 Nov. 2010
As a web designer/developer, I found this book saying so many right things. I think any business with a website important to them should read this book and all web designers/developers should do their best to educate their clients to the principles contained within.

I felt much of the latter half of the book was very focused on ecommerce sites, so won't be useful to everyone, although the more general first-half makes the book worth buying in itself.

Mindscape's Bigger Brain Trainer
Mindscape's Bigger Brain Trainer
Offered by SweetBuzzards

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 27 Feb. 2009
I don't normally buy things without checking them out first by looking for reviews, but I did with this. What a mistake! As someone else points out, some of the games are ridiculous (eg Word Ladder, which is impossible to get good at because it simply makes up new words). The scoring is flawed and it's just really poorly thought out.
I orginally bought it to use with my class at school, but there's no way I can justify them spending time using such a questionable product. Mastersoft's Brain School is much better.

Year 6 (100 Maths Framework Lessons)
Year 6 (100 Maths Framework Lessons)
by John Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 25 Oct. 2008
I'm using both the Y5 and Y6 books to teach a mixed year class. Although not ideal for mixed teaching, I'm finding the series provides good planning guidance with interesting activities. Although I've only used the first three units so far, I believe they deal well with the repetition of the new framework. I'd recommend the books, especially to NQTs.

The reason they don't work particularly well with mixed year-groups is because although the unit objectives are closely related, the teaching sequence in both books is different for each unit. If the authors could have matched the lessons, they'd have been amazing books! As they are, they are more than useful for mixed-year group teaching and I would have been loving them if I had a single year-group to teach.