Profile for Carl L > Reviews

Osomount Bike Mount Handlebar Holder for Smartphone
Osomount Bike Mount Handlebar Holder for Smartphone
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought 2 - simply the best., 23 May 2016
Simply brilliant. So good I bought a 2nd one for my other bike.

One side of the clamp adjusts to the position you want in order to get the desired clamping force for your width phone when pulling out the other (spring-loaded) side of the clamp. The rubber net then holds each corner firmly. Each unit is supplied with 2 rubber nets, one red & one black.

Handlebar clamp is very good but the rotating clamp underneath to hold the platform in the desired position on the ball-joint needs a good strong pair of hands and/or wrapping with something protective before tightening with a wrench if you really want to lock it tightly in place - not a big enough deal to deduct a star for though.

LINDY USB 2.0 OTG Cable - Black, Type Micro-B to Micro-B, 0.5m
LINDY USB 2.0 OTG Cable - Black, Type Micro-B to Micro-B, 0.5m

2.0 out of 5 stars Cable works but plugs not very tight fitting - won't suit all, 23 May 2016
Posting review based on my intended usage & hence the poor rating of only 2 stars (lowest review I've ever given on anything from Amazon).

Don't let this put you off if you have a fairly static home-based use for this cable as, let's face it, there aren't many people making these.

I needed a micro to micro of around this length to take power from a Bosch Intuvia unit on an ebike to my mobile phone which sits in a cradle on the handlebars. The cable does work but the little catches on the underside of the plugs, which should hold the connector in place, are very weak compared to most other cable I've used. Vibration can therefore mean the connection can be lost & a little bit of 'jiggling' is required to get it to connect, only for it to lose the connection again a few minutes later. This wouldn't be a problem for someone connection 2 devices together on a worktop or desk, so don't let this review put you off.

It might have got 3 stars but the lack of documentation loses another star. Who needs documentation for a cable? Well it seems to me that the cable is directional - when I plugged the red end into my phone, the Intuvia unit on my bike when into USB mode & I lost the usual display - when I plugged the black end into the phone, I just got the charging I was after. This might have been a fluke but I doubt it as the plugs must be colour-coded for a reason?

Ergon GP5 ergonomic grips black Diameter large 2016 ergo grips
Ergon GP5 ergonomic grips black Diameter large 2016 ergo grips
Offered by Adventure Northumberland

5.0 out of 5 stars Always loved Ergon grips but always wished they didn't have closed ..., 19 May 2016
Always loved Ergon grips but always wished they didn't have closed in ends that prevent the use of bar-end mirrors. Now the new GP series have bar-end plugs, I can pair these beautifully with Mirrycle mirrors - result!

Chose the GP5 as I have a Bosch equipped ebike and, even with the Intuvia unit removed, I still have the vulnerable connector base exposed if ever I need to up-end the bike to remove wheels. These are long enough to protect the connector base (along with other bar-mounted accessories) when the bike is upside-down.

Mirrycle Bike Handlebar Mirrors - Twin Pack
Mirrycle Bike Handlebar Mirrors - Twin Pack
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets when it comes to mirrors, 19 May 2016
As good as it gets when it comes to mirrors. I like them turned downwards & inwards so they don't get knocked & they now pair beautifully with Ergon grips now they've done away with the closed-in ends & introduced plugs.

Kryptonite New York Standard Lock with FlexFrame Bracket - Black/Yellow
Kryptonite New York Standard Lock with FlexFrame Bracket - Black/Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Another plus point for me is that this is just such a perfect fit into my Carradice Super C rack pack (fits ..., 19 May 2016
Maybe too heavy & bulky for some but, as an ebike user, this doesn't matter to me. Another plus point for me is that this is just such a perfect fit into my Carradice Super C rack pack (fits so snugly that it has to be the right way round - shackle at front) that it doesn't rattle around on the move.

Sennheiser PXC 310 BT Closed Mini Headphones (NoiseGard 2.0 Technology,Talk Through Function,Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Transmission)

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought these - LED can be turned off, 19 Sept. 2010
I wouldn't normally review audio equipment as opinions are subjective - you don't know me & I don't know you. For me, I wanted Apt-X technology as I think it finally makes bluetooth worthwhile, you'll have to make up your own minds. Younger, trendier types will probably form a disorderly queue for something like JayBird Bluetooth Sportsband 2 Headphones Colour ORANGE CRUSH but, as a grey-haired conservative, I'll stick with these thanks.

However, I think it's worth pointing out that some reviews, both professional & consumer, complain about the bright LED light. This almost stopped me buying these as, on an aircraft, you'd be guilty of either distracting fellow passengers or, if you choose a window seat on the right, shining unauthorised signals from the aircraft. Here's the good news, for those who bother reading the pdf manual (bit tricky on Vista, admittedly, as didn't auto-open from CD-ROM - had to open Acrobat 1st, then navigate to CD), the LED CAN be turned on & off. With headphones off, press & hold main (centre) button until flashes red then blue - vol. down to turn LED off - vol. up to turn back on - simples!

Couple of other points:

Volume - Not blisteringly loud but reaches volumes that would a) give you hearing damage if used for long periods, and b) annoy the hell out of those around you. Again, make sure you've read those manuals - volume control on the PMP can be adjusted independently of the headphones & you need to make sure that your PMP doesn't have any volume limiter set.

Battery life - Battery is needed to use bluetooth and/or noise cancelling. Some might complain that the 8 hrs life on combined BT/NC is too short. I disagree - if you're lucky (or unlucky?) enough to regularly travel long-haul, you'll probably spend much of the time with these plugged into the aircraft's entertainment system, using the supplied leads/adapters, & use the battery for noise-cancelling only, in which case you get a creditable 20 hrs life. Most people will probably exceed their tolerance for wearing headphones way before the battery gives out

Finally, make sure you've got an Apt-X dongle to get the best out of these. I've got the Sennheiser dongle & the Gear4 and I CAN tell the difference - promise!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2011 3:36 PM BST

GEAR4 Bluetooth sender dongle for iPod.
GEAR4 Bluetooth sender dongle for iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs - could be better described, 19 Sept. 2010
Bluetooth reviews are often somewhat mixed as it appears to me that the Bluetooth standards aren't always, er, standard (though I've no sympathy for people who try to mix stereo & mono bluetooth & then complain it doesn't work).

Have found no issues with this unit though - bought to use with my N-Comm system in my Nolan helmet & already knew it was compatible - since tried pairing with Sennheiser headphones & also works flawlessly.

From the product description, you might think that this was some earlier model & that it's not stereo. This IS the Blustream TX with AD2P + AVRCP, so is an absolute bargain.