Profile for Jurgen Van Gael > Reviews

Content by Jurgen Van Gael

Jurgen Van Gael (Cambridge, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Four Alarm Stickers - Alarm Warning Signs for your Home or Business
Four Alarm Stickers - Alarm Warning Signs for your Home or Business

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless as an alarm sticker., 17 Aug 2014
Completely useless as this sticker can't be stuck to a window from the inside.

Hednoise BT-69 Music Dock Adapter
Hednoise BT-69 Music Dock Adapter
Price: 17.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A new purpose for my docking speaker ..., 23 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely love the hednoise music dock adaptor! A few years ago I bought a speaker for my iPod and was a very happy man. Critically, the speaker also charged my iPod.

When I upgraded to iPhone 3G, although the phone would fit into the speaker dock, it wouldn't charge. Then I upgraded to Nexus 4 and started using Spotify rather than iTunes. At this point my speaker started gathering dust as I don't feel like walking up to the docking station to go change songs etc.

WIth the hednoise this all changes. I got the package from Amazon, opened it up and stuck it into the speaker. I grabbed my iPhone/iPad/Nexus 4, turned on bluetooth, connected to the hednoise and started listening to music. I can't believe how simple the installation is. All my devices (iOS/Android) seem to be compatible with it.

This has definitely given a second life to my speaker. Glad I found this little gadget!

Malthus: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Malthus: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Donald Winch
Price: 6.63

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just the coverage of the Malthusian trap, 19 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The very short introduction are a fun series of short books written by knowledgeable academics.

I had only know Malthus from reading "The Worldly Philosophers" a fantastic book on the history of economics. Malthus was touched on by describing the Malthusian trap, a model of population growth (and a very pessimistic view at that).

What's interesting about this book is that it goes beyond covering Malthus's work on population growth. The book describes interesting aspects of Malthus's life (how his faith influences his writings) as well as more general political economic theories.

For anyone interested in history and economics, this is a very readable addition to your bookshelf.

Zyliss Herb Tool Cutter
Zyliss Herb Tool Cutter
Price: 11.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously sharp - difficult to clean, 27 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was impressed with the sharpness of the knives and the ease of using the gadget. Definitely does what it states.

After using it though, I obviously had to clean it which wasn't that straightforward. I managed to open the gadget after some dangerous manoeuvres, cleaned it under running water and had similar dangerous issues with putting the `safety' cap back on the knives.

Unless you're shopping an awful lot of herbs at once, probably not worth the hustle/potential danger of cleaning it afterwards -don't think I will use it again.

Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Damien Keown
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable introduction, 22 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been really enjoying the very short introduction series lately. I leave them hanging around the house and whenever I have 5 minutes to spare read one or two sections. The VSI on Buddhism delivers on its promise. For someone who knows very little about eastern religion/philosophies I feel this book gets me up to speed with the basics.

From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
by Chris Waring
Price: 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial ..., 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll probably forget this book as quick as I read it. At 192 pages (with very little on a page) this is a book which you'll read in a very short time. I love reading popularising science books but this one left me with a feeling that there was just more to write about. Take the little section on why we measure angles in degrees and decided that a circle is 360 degrees. The book explains how it comes form the Babylonians but stops there. It would've been an interesting story to learn more but as with most other snippets of this book, the author explains the history and material in this book in a bit of a superficial way.

I'll keep the book for while, perhaps my kids when they're in their teens and happen to enjoy popularising science might enjoy it better than I did.

Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
by John Mullins

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intro ... don't rely on this alone., 12 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a book which helps you write a business plan. The book has some good information in it but (and I'm not speaking out of experience) it's incomplete as a practical guide for starting a business. It sits somewhere in between practical guide and discussion of ideas/strategies for bigger companies.

It's an OK business book to read, certainly as an introduction to how/what/why of writing a business plan but if I ever get to start a business I will be looking for more material.

National Geographic New FM Walkie Talkies
National Geographic New FM Walkie Talkies

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok toy for smaller kids, not for outside though., 10 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My family and I got these walkie talkies a while ago and have been playing with them on and off. Out of the box, the walkie talkies feel a bit plastic (probably because they are so light) but once the batteries (not included) are in they come to life.

When my kids used them indoor they have lots of fun with them although the walkie walkie's transmission power is somewhat limited and degrades quickly once they get into cellars. Outdoors they work well as long as you don't spread out too far.

Peter Kent's Big Book of Armour
Peter Kent's Big Book of Armour
by Peter Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book to read with the kids, 9 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book a while ago but only recently did my son become old enough (3 years) to understand/appreciate it. It's one of those books which I think is a lot of fun to read together with a kid. The illustrations are excellent and give a lot of material to talk about. The topics that were chosen are very varied with lots of history, animals and people.

This one comes highly recommended from both my son as well as myself!

Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant classic, 9 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It doesn't happen often that I read a book which instantly makes it into my all time top-10 reading list. The last one was "A brief history of nearly everything" but 2012 did introduce a new book in my list: "Thinking fast and slow".

The author is an absolute legend in the field (don't believe me? He's won a Nobel prize in economics!). What I particularly enjoyed about the book is that Daniel Kahneman manages to summarise multiple decades of research in one fun to read book.

If you're interested in anything at the intersection of psychology and economics, this is your starting point.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4