Profile for Luke Haddon > Reviews

Content by Luke Haddon

Luke Haddon (Abersytwyth, Wales)

I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
I'm Wide Awake It's Morning

5.0 out of 5 stars To only be able to give 5 stars is a travesty..., 4 Mar. 2007
Bright Eyes or, correctly, Conor Oberst has been compared to Bob Dylan by many, and the reasons why are not that hard to deduce. The lyrics of songs such as 'Lua' and 'First Day Of My Life' have such a profound effect and display clearly the agony that the protagonist is struggling to deal with. The harch voice of Oberst is central to the album, and this voice is recognised in 'Road To Joy' as necessary to convey his feelings: "Well I could have been a famous singer, If I had someone else's voice". Dylan used to wait until he had a cold in order to find just the right roughness to his voice. Oberst is blessed with the same roughness but without the ill feelings existing also.

'At the Bottom Of Everything' is the opening song on the album and seeks to initiate a change in the monotony of life and to encourage the listener to make a difference. The standout song on this album is 'Lua', which to this day after 149 plays on my iPod still invokes a wave of calm upon me. All thoughts leave, and I am left in awe of such a bare and stark display of love, though the object of this love may be different to the one Oberst originally fell for. To compliment this song is the equally light 'First Day Of My Life'. Differing to 'Lua' in that the love does not fall apart, it details quite what love can make you do, from driving through the night to meet someone to following someone anywhere they wanted just so that they can be happy, even if you are not.

The change from song to song, and the balancing of light songs with heavier ones is an extra aspect where this album succeeds, with just the right tone found.

Overall, in my opinion this is one of the best albums since 2000. With its 10 songs having a combined playing of over 1100 plays on my iPod, I find it hard to comprehend how Darren Overs Pearson of the BBC can find that this album 'sounds like Beck at his worst'. Q magazine gave it 5 stars. I'd give it 6 if i could. The whole album has a poignancy that can be related to in everyday life. You'll love this album if you get it.