Profile for Christopher Thorpe > Reviews

Content by Christopher Thorpe

Christopher Thorpe "Oddshoes" (Aude France)

Bulldog Premier Strapped and Treaded Garden Spade
Bulldog Premier Strapped and Treaded Garden Spade
Price: 60.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid functional tool, 29 Jan 2014
The materials and construction are of a very high quality. The finish is a bit unsophisticated but I suppose this is to be expected from a hand made tool. I expect the spade to outlast me and possibly my son and see no reason why this should not be the case.

Future Money: Breakdown or Breakthrough?
Future Money: Breakdown or Breakthrough?
by James Robertson
Price: 11.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for anyone who wonders why things are going wrong in the world., 9 Aug 2013
The concept of money is quite difficult to grasp. as we have been misled and badly educated for generations. From time to time someone pops up who does understand a subject thoroughly and demonstrates clearly that the emperor has no clothes. James Robertson is one such man and this and other of his books demonstrate how we have been criminally misled and robbed by multinational companies and governments, And provides concrete suggestions to rectify the situation. More people need to understand this before there will be sufficient political will and opinion to change a fundamentally corrupt and broken financial system. so if you've got a nagging feeling that there might be an underlying cause to many of today's ills, but you just can't put your finger on it, read this book.

Stanley Kubrick Collection: 2001: A Space Odyssey  / Full Metal Jacket / The Shining / Lolita/Barry Lyndon / A Clockwork Orange / Eyes Wide Shut / Dr Strangelove [DVD]
Stanley Kubrick Collection: 2001: A Space Odyssey / Full Metal Jacket / The Shining / Lolita/Barry Lyndon / A Clockwork Orange / Eyes Wide Shut / Dr Strangelove [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpieces of 20th century cinema, 9 Aug 2013
Having already seen them all on the cinema screen, I bought this boxed set to ensure that my children had the opportunity to see these wonderful films before they left home. On seeing these films for the 2nd and sometimes 3rd or 4th time I cannot help but observe that Kubrick has very few equals even to this day. The direction, camerawork, and scripting are often nothing short of magical. If you have any interest whatsoever in the art of cinema see these films now.

A Short Course in Intellectual Self-defense: Find Your Inner Chomsky
A Short Course in Intellectual Self-defense: Find Your Inner Chomsky
by Normand Baillargeon
Price: 10.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for concearned thinkers, 10 July 2012
I bought this book after seeing the author in the film encerclement, which is about neoliberalism. I enjoyed his contribution, so looked him up andwas immediately intrigued by the title. The book is written with humour, but seriouss intent. We are so often misled by disingenuous advetising an political speaking. This book will help to cut through the bs. My 16yr old daughter read it and was also impressed.

Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Philip K. Dick
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars John Dowland quotes in SciFi!, 10 Jan 2012
I do not know how I missed this the first time round, in the 60's I read loads of science fiction - Vonegut (yes I know he grumbled about being classified as Scifi), Asimov, Herbert, Sheckley etc. Stumbled on to it as a consequence of watching "Blade runner" again with my children. I must say it was a delight to read, such imagination and creativity. The bit about it being set in the future in 1988 made me chuckle. Why not 5 stars? Just occasionally I found his style a little untidy, but a great read never the less.

The River Cottage Meat Book
The River Cottage Meat Book
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars concentrated knowledge and understanding, 15 Jun 2009
I have been cooking for nearly 40 years now, and have read dozens of books on the subject. This is the best I've come across since "On Food And Cooking" by Harold McGee. In my opinion if a book shows you two new pieces of knowledge, it is a success - I lost count of what I learned from reading "The River Cottage Meat Book" I read it from cover to cover over a period of a week. Learning to cook is about understanding the ingredients not following recipes.