Profile for John M Fisher > Reviews

Content by John M Fisher

John M Fisher

Page: 1 | 2
JustIngredients Fine Herbs Loose 100 g (Pack of 5)
JustIngredients Fine Herbs Loose 100 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to be able to buy this again, 24 Mar. 2015
I have been searching for some time for this product which most supermarkets appear to have stopped selling.
I probably ordered too much - a typical supermarket pot contains about 15-20g. But that is my fault.

Penny Bazaar - Traditional Christmas Cooking
Penny Bazaar - Traditional Christmas Cooking
by Marks And Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know you could still get this, 2 Feb. 2014
We had this book from years ago, it got trashed when we had a boiler leak in the kitchen.
My wife is overjoyed to have had all her favourite recipes back in time for Xmas.
We, her family, have all enjoyed eating the food.
An Xmas recipe book that you actually use every year? - could be time to republish.

The FRUGALITY Trilogy
The FRUGALITY Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars A chance pick was an entertaining read. Not the sort of book I normally read [58y male]., 2 Feb. 2014
I picked the first book because I have heard of Tollesbury; not a great reason but I found a gem.
The story stands well on its' own, entertaining, with a main character you can easily warm to and an ending I did'nt guess.
The 2nd and 3rd volumes were cheaper to download as part of the Trilogy so I did.
Each story is a good read in it's own right, I am not sure that you need to read them in the order published. The characters are all believable. The events all believable (even when initially you think they are not). The author makes a good story out of everyday characters living everyday lives, albeit with emotional and mental breakdown as a theme.
The author writes well from a viewpoint inside the character's mind; that is absorbing, but still retains a light hearted feeling that makes you read to the end of the book and then wish you had made the experience last a bit longer.

Delphi Complete Works of Marcel Proust (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Marcel Proust (Illustrated)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 15 Jun. 2013
I have to admit I was drawn to this author because he featured in a Monty Python sketch [about a summarising Proust competition]
It took most of the first book to adjust to the style, but now I am hooked. I would normally wait until I have finished reading the whole book before giving a review - but it might be some time before I get to the end.

Shaftesbury, Cranbourne Chase, Poole, Wimbourne Minster and Blandford (OS Explorer Map)
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as ever., 15 Jun. 2013
I have been using OS maps for most of my adult life and they never let me down.
Used this one on a recent short break to Dorset.

PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2.4A 12W (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 5 iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch and Android Devices (cable NOT included) - White
Offered by E-TRADING24 LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reliable charger., 15 Jun. 2013
I have not tried one of these before, so I looked around a bit before buying this.
I have been using it for a month now and it works really well.
My nearly flat [5%] iPhone battery recharged to over 25% during a 20 minute drive to work.
Also used on an mp3 player and samsung mobile, it seems to deliver the same sort of performance I'd expect from charging with a usb adapter on a laptop.

SD Slot Card Reader/MP3 Player in Black
SD Slot Card Reader/MP3 Player in Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 15 Jun. 2013
I wanted to load lots of data onto a cheap device to play music in my car.
Sorted out a playlist; this device won't shuffle your tunes.
Down loaded about 35 albums worth of music onto a micro sd card.
I now have more music playing time than driving time for the next year.
Total cost about £10 [depends how expensive you want your Micro sd to be].
Time taken - about 4hrs [organising the playlist].
It charges really well from an in-car power socket with a usb adapter - although won't play while you are charging. [Charging it indoors overnight once a week is much simpler].
Like I said 'just what I wanted'; but make sure you don't need more features [shuffle etc].

Hyundai 3.5 Litre Dual Deep Fat Fryer, Set of 2
Hyundai 3.5 Litre Dual Deep Fat Fryer, Set of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Now an essential kitchen item., 21 Feb. 2013
After the initial jokes about us needing a large deep fat fryer as we live in Essex this has become a family favourite.
Enough capacity to prepare fresh fish and chips for the whole family (up to 5 adults). Each bowl can be used individually if you just want to make chips or (for example) deep fried squid.
As a general rule it seems that you can never make too many fresh chips.
This unit conveniently dissembles to allow the bowls and baskets to be placed in the dishwasher.
We have been using this at least once a week for about a year now with no problems.

Linux Clearly Explained
Linux Clearly Explained
by Bryan Pfaffenberger

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit out of date, 21 Feb. 2013
It is interesting to have a history of Linux.
Unfortunately this book contains a disc with Red hat [version 6], which has been largely speaking replaced by Ubuntu.
There are some useful tips, but that's about all.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (5 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (5 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 Feb. 2013
In a multi PC household it succesfully keeps users safe.
The 5 user package means that I can install it on all the family's computers.

Page: 1 | 2