Profile for Mr. Timothy M. Jokl > Reviews

Content by Mr. Timothy M....

Mr. Timothy M. Jokl

Days of the Bagnold Summer
Days of the Bagnold Summer
by Joff Winterhart

5.0 out of 5 stars quite perfect, 16 May 2013
Deceptively simple story of an awkward teenager and his only slightly less awkward single mum. I was so impressed with this I bought more copies and gave them to friends.

Ring of Eternity: Mannequin
Ring of Eternity: Mannequin

4.0 out of 5 stars confront the ultimate finality, 11 Sept. 2012
Like a lot of sci-fi I've read, this is about the ideas more than the style. This book creates an ominous, oppressive atmosphere of ultimate finality. (Think `The Road' but on a cosmological scale.) In an all but extinguished universe, where the last few civilisations 'share' what remains of a single source of solar energy, we are shown individuals struggling to live and a compulsion to survive - even though the odds seem hopeless. This also seemed to be about just how much you can take away from someone before they are no longer human. All intriguing concepts. Questions raised at the end made me think there's probably a part two planned.

Dream Repairman: Adventures in Film Editing
Dream Repairman: Adventures in Film Editing
by Jim Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, honest and amusing insights, 3 Feb. 2012
I don't hesitate to give this five stars, despite the rather amateurish quality of the writing. This isn't about the writing. It's about a successful, talented, world-weary movie editor considerately passing on a whole career's worth of hard-won wisdom and life experience.

It's all done with such humour and honesty that the less than polished writing style actual seems to add something. How often do you see the movie business through the eyes of anyone but the directors and actors? In this book it's the Editor, the quiet guy who sees everyone's weaknesses, their poor performances, foolish deviations from the plan, and bad scripts.

The title Dream Repairman refers to the work of pouring over the heart-breaking miles of dull, repetitive footage, working with the poor coverage, bad acting, and then doing the impossible - making it work.

ROBERTS ColourSTREAM DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with Dock for iPod and Colour Touch Screen

4.0 out of 5 stars great combination of things in one unit., 13 Mar. 2011
Two bad points first. One is that scrolling through lists (stations, albums, whatever) takes forever. Very long lists, I tend to just give up. Two is that every now and then it drops the WEP key that syncs it to the wifi. If you have a 26 digit WEP key as we seem to have, it's a pain in the rear end to type that in on the little screen. (I emailed Roberts about this and was invited to call a premium help line. I expected better customer service.)

The good points about this are it does a LOT of things and the sound is good.

The Maintenance of Headway
The Maintenance of Headway
by Magnus Mills

1.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for a #2, 1 Mar. 2011
`Deeply bizarre, occasionally menacing and often funny ... It's real life, but not quite realism, and strangely brilliant.'
--The Times

but...

`Deeply tedious, occasionally average and often not the least bit funny ... It's real dull, but not quite bad enough to get no stars, and strangely overhyped by The Times.'
--The Tim

Heavy Rain (PS3)
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Offered by EVERGAME

4.0 out of 5 stars I found I lost every fight I was in, 1 Feb. 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Heavy Rain (PS3) (Video Game)
People were saying this was breakthrough game, that it was mature, engrossing...like The Wire, but a game. And so I bought it.

From the moment you play the FBI character, with his magic glasses and special scanning-glove, I knew that level of maturity I was looking for was not going to manifest itself in this game. Though I would agree it does seem to nudge gaming along in the right direction.

My biggest problem with this game wasn't that I ended up spending so much time setting the table, walking round a busy shopping mall, or putting some washing on, it was that if you don't master the fiddly/many controls - and I never did - you can find you end up taking a really boring, unrewarding route through the game's story.

I found I lost every fight I was in, failed every task I tried to perform, and generally got beat up a lot before moving on to the next scene where I got to make a microwave meal. In short, I don't really feel I got my moneys-worth from this game and I doubt I'd ever want to trudge through it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2011 10:03 AM GMT

The Old Man and the Sea
The Old Man and the Sea
by Ernest Hemingway

5.0 out of 5 stars I got a lot out of this one - by a Hemingway novice, 11 Jun. 2009
This seemed to me to be all about what life takes from you, piece by piece, as you age. I don't know if that was what Hemingway intended, but I was very moved by it and I wasn't expecting to be.

Having just read A Farewell to Arms, a book that seemed mainly concerned with diarizing in detail every meal, snack and drink one man consumed during WWI, my hopes were not high for this slim book. It was, however, a wonderful, sad lesson about life.

The Jonathan Meades Collection [DVD]
The Jonathan Meades Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Meades

5.0 out of 5 stars Meades, 12 Jan. 2009
I've only watched disc one at the point of writing this, but I've had such an invigorating jolt of mind-expanding, horizon broadening insight, I feel I can confidently recommend this to anyone who has more than just a passing interesting in the built world.

Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB MP3 / Multi-Media Player - Black
Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB MP3 / Multi-Media Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I Was Soooo Happy with My Zen, 31 Jan. 2007
This is a brilliant little machine. I formed an instant bond with it.

Good Points

1. Screen detail and picture clarity are superb

2. Radio tuner for when you're fed up of your own songs

3. With its remarkably good quality built-in mic it becomes a Dictaphone (I use a finger myself)

4. Huge storage - it never seems to fill up

Average Points

1. Software for encoding your video is good but slow.

2. Software for organising your playlists is only reasonably good.

3. It's quite sexy. Esp in black.

Bad Points

1. It can be a bit fiddly to navigate.

Really Bad Points

1. The unit comes with a little dongle and USB cable to connect to your PC for data transfer. The dongle goes into the Zen, the cable goes into the dongle (the unit charges up through a USB connection so you need all three things) so far I've lost 2 dongles. (The dongle is about the size of a wine gum, so very easy to lose.) Why aren't the dongle and the cable one single entity? It's just plain silly.

2. You can get ipod accessories anywhere. I mean you can't spit these days without hitting ipod accessories. But can you get Creative Zen accessories? Like that dongle I was telling you about for example? No. Not in the WHOLE OF LONDON!! (Weirdly I was able to buy a dongle over the counter in Toronto, but not here.)

Italian Riviera and Piedmont (Cadogan Guide Italian Riviera & Piemonte)
Italian Riviera and Piedmont (Cadogan Guide Italian Riviera & Piemonte)
by Dana Facaros

4.0 out of 5 stars best of a small bunch, 29 July 2006
There seems to be only 2 or 3 books around which cover this region of Italy in any detail. This one is clearly written with the most passion and genuine local knowledge.

The historical background to the region is very detailed and, for a travel guide, not too dry. The suggestions the writers make e.g. places to eat, historical buildings, markets, I have always found to be accurate and trustworthy. The book is laid out intuitively too, starting in the west and working east through the region making places easy to locate.

I think the key to really enjoying this region is exploring. This guide makes good suggestions but I've usually found there's quite a lot more to discover than this book lets on. Perhaps that's a good thing.

One complaint about this book (and other guides to this region do a far worse job of this...) would be related to the quality and usefulness of the maps.

Many places simply aren't deemed worthy of a town centre map, a shame, especially with bigger places, such as San Remo. The maps that are supplied, Genoa for example, are detailed but practically unusable because there's no grid or key. The guide may mention a fine restaurant on a certain street but how are you going to find that street? (And Italy has lots of small, hard to find streets!)