Profile for dangermash > Reviews

Kickin & Screamin
Kickin & Screamin
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades of Grey for men, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Kickin & Screamin (Audio CD)
According to the BBC news website, Fifty Shades is now the best selling novel of all time in the UK. Sounds like a great time to be female, but there are also things for sale on Amazon that hit well developed pleasure spots for the rest of us. This album is one of those products.

But because not all men share the same pleasure spots, I feel it's important to point out which spots this album touches. It's only five tracks long, so this will be a short list.

Track 1 sounded like it belonged on Raw Sienna by Savoy Brown.

Track 2 had a Lynyrd Skynyrd feel to it.

Track 3 has been likened to Freebird but felt more to me like an Allman Brothers Whipping Post workout. The guitar work had a Dickey Betts feel to it and having a guest perform on violin made for a track that (apart from being a little heavy) might not look out of place on Betts's solo album Highway Call.

Track 4 was bluesy and funky. Unlike the other tracks on this album, the spot that it hit for me wasn't a Southern Rock one. It reminded me of some of the funkier tracks on Live And Burning by Son Seals - an album that alternates between slow and funky blues numbers.

Track 5 was another that reminded me of Whipping Post, but this time with some Skynyrd style licks in the base track to complement the Allmans style solos. It also reminded me in places of Can't You Hear Me Knocking by the Stones from Sticky Fingers in that (at times) the guitar solo was in he background with bass, drum and rhythm guitar in the foreground.

If any of this sounds like your sort of thing, then you should buy this album. It works for me.

Dormant
Dormant
by Oliver Crook

3.0 out of 5 stars Abu Diabi or Lionel Messi?, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dormant (Paperback)
Sometimes I'm watching a football match and somebody does something and I can't tell whether it was a moment of genius or an accident. My normal conclusion is that if Lionel Messi was responsible then it was a moment of genius but that if Abu Diabi was responsible then it was an accident.

This book is like one of those moments. Olly's writing style is very simple. Short words and short sentences everywhere. If he wrote short stories then they wouldn't look out of place in one of those Black horror collections. But they would look out of place in an old Pan collection, let alone one of those bargain £2.99 collections of 19th century classics. As it is, it makes this book a quick and painless read.

But there's also something more sinister about Olly's style. It's the short chapters that switch between the viewpoints of the main characters and the way that lots of those mini chapters end with a comment that things are about to get darker. I felt like Olly was playing with me in the same way that a cat plays with a mouse. It made me want to keep reading.

All of which is why everybody seems to describe this book as "unputdownable". I kept wanting to read just one more chapter. And just like with the football incidents I can't tell whether this is down to accident or genius. I'd normally give the author the benefit of the doubt and go for four stars. But I know the author and I'm going to assume it was an accident and give three stars. I look forward to seeing more work from Olly in future and will definitely be buying his next book.

Secrets of Short-handed No-limit Hold'em: Winning Strategies for Short-handed and Heads Up Play (D&B Poker)
by Danny Ashman

2.0 out of 5 stars Snakes on a Plane this ain't, 21 Dec 2009
"What did you do at the weekend, then, 'Mash?"
"Went to the cinema, saw Snakes on a Plane"
"Snakes on a Plane? What's that all about then?"

At the time, I thought the guy was a dork. But that was before I read this book.

What's this book about? Well, it's definitely about no limit holdem cash games. I knew this before I bought the book. But what is it about in particular? Well, I expected it to be about snakes. On a plane. I mean short handed poker. But there was nothing in this book that related only to short handed poker (as opposed to full table).

That was my biggest gripe. The second biggest was that it was aimed at people that play for very high stakes against very tough opponents. For example, the author repeatedly states that it's a sign of weakness if anybody bets less than the pot on the flop, turn or river. I could be wrong here (not being a cash player) but bets of half the pot on later streets are not a sign of weakness in the tournaments that I play in. The author's observation may well be true in high stakes cash games, though.

Gripe 3. There was zero discussion of preflop play in this book. Not a single word. This book only really discusses post flop hand reading.

On to my fourth gripe... Despite not being a cash player, I bought this book expecting to pick up some tips on hand reading. It was going pretty cheap, after all. To be honest, I didn't learn very much. Volume 3 of Harrington was far, far more useful to me. In particular, Harrington starts hand reading on the flop. Too often in the examples in this book, the flop was double checked or check, bet, called with no comments.

A better name for the book would have been Secrets of Hand Reading on the Turn and River (not so much the flop) in Big Stake No Limit Holdem Cash Games.

Two stars.

Sidewalk Caesars
Sidewalk Caesars

5.0 out of 5 stars How to drunk faster than troughing ice cream whizzed up with creme de menthe and refrozen, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sidewalk Caesars (Audio CD)
I'm blown away by this album, I really am. Seriously. It's accoustically bluesy chilled out stuff but I guess you know that by now.

Some albums have a certain feel to them, you know? Electric Ladyland was described by Hendrix as being like "white water". Exile on Main Street can only be described as muddy. Early Black Crowes albums are dirty. I could go on forever, but let me get onto Sidewalk Caesars.

Many of the songs on this album are about drink and drunkenness, and you know what? They're the sort of songs that you'd be happy to sing along to drunk. Don't put this album on after you get home after a sesh - you'll find yourself singing along and upsetting the neighbours. Actually, let me tell you a secret. I can play this album sober and it makes me feel drunk. In the same sort of way that the Grateful Dead make me feel stoned. <And let me be clear here - I've never done drugs: drugs are for losers.>

And what is a Sidewalk Caesar anyway? Is it the American name for a Pavement Pizza? Or is it a word for a drunk singing in the street after the pubs shut? Either way, it's a great name for this album.

I appreciate this sounds like a drunken ramble but its only 9.20am and I've not been drinking. I've just been playing the wrong musich, that's all.

King Does the King's Things: Blues for Elvis
King Does the King's Things: Blues for Elvis

4.0 out of 5 stars I guess that's alright Mama, 3 Nov 2009
Good points:
One Night With You - great instrumental
Blue Suede Shoes - nothing like the Elvis version. Slower, bluesier, funkier.
Love Me Tender - as you'd expect, this brings out the best in Albert's soulful voice.

Not so good:
The rest of the tracks. Let me elaborate...

In was hoping to hear tracks that sound like
<Albert sings a line> <Guitar responds>
<Guitar solo that's a logical continuation of the earlier guitar responses>
You know the sort of thing?

Instead, too many tracks sounded like
<Albert sings a line> <Horns respond>
<Long and not especially relevant guitar solo>

Overall, though, in this day of MP3s and playlists, an album with three fantastic tracks and six tracks of filler is worth four stars.

Before The Frost... Until The Freeze
Before The Frost... Until The Freeze

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Download onto Creative MP3 Player, 26 Sep 2009
Let's get the review out of the way first. Five stars. Great album. Other reviewers have plenty to say about the music, so read their reviews.

The reason I thought I'd better post something up here is the difficulties in getting the ...Until The Freeze onto my Creative MP3 player and the solution I found.

At first, I downloaded the tracks onto the PC and used Creative MediaSource to copy them onto the MP3 player. I got some strange results. I found that I could play the files on the player from the PC but that when I tried playing them on the player itself, I got "playback error" appearing on the screen each time.

The solution to this was to burn the downloaded tracks from the PC onto a cd, then to use Creative MediaSource to rip from the cd and to copy the tracks onto the MP3 player.

Have a nice day.

The Collected Stories
The Collected Stories
by William Trevor

5.0 out of 5 stars I look at all the lonely people, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Collected Stories (Paperback)
Wow! This guy is a master of the short story.

If this book were a song it would be Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles.

Tales of people with sad, passive lives. You read their stories and you share their disappointment at a life that's leading nowhere. Stuck in a rut with no way out. All they can do is keep doing the same thing, day in, day out, until their dying day.

All the lonely people, where do they all come from?
All the lonely people, where do they all belong?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

0/5 have voted this review as helpful. What's all that about? For me, this book is dripping in pathos and it's pathos that comes out of the same tin as the Beatles used in that song. Or did I miss something?
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2010 11:49 PM BST

The Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)
The Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)
by George Grossmith

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, Mr Padge? "That's right", 3 Sep 2009
A short book but lots of laughs at a bargain price. Five stars.

Someone else has suggested that the protagonist, Pooter, is a 19th Century David Brent, given his aspirations to rising into a higher social class and his snobbiness towards those of his own class. I can see their point. I think that this is also true of Margot in The Good Life and DelBoy in Fools And Horses, but I think there's a more obvious modern equivalent.

I believe that Pooter is the 19th century Basil Fawlty. Think of episodes like A Touch Of Class and Gourmet Night. In both of these, Basil fawns over those in the higher classes while almost spitting on the plutons - back to the class theme.

Pooter's chum Gowing, a humorous sort that snobs would find vulgar and that likes drinking everybody else's booze, reminded me of Rog from The Anniversary Party. Basil's irritation with Rog in that episode mirrors Pooter's irritation with Gowing.

Pooter's disdain of Lupin's friends reminds me of Basil's attitude to Neanderthals in The Psychologist and A Touch Of Class and his attitude to "the youth of today" in The Engagement Party.

Pooter thinks that a moose head mounted on his wall will look good - cf The Germans.

Anyway, enough of Basil, the book is as full of humour as an Airplane! film. Just as with those films, I reckon a second or third reading will reveal many touches that the readed missed first time round.

You'll need to have read the book to understand the witty title to this review. Probably the funniest thing I have ever written. How the wife and I roared with laughter thinking about it last night, until the bed shook!

Arsenal Fc: Greatest Ever Goals! [DVD]
Arsenal Fc: Greatest Ever Goals! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arsenal Fc
Offered by RCDiscs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatest ever? Really?, 1 Sep 2009
Bought this for my eight year old son and I've just watched it all the way through with him.

I dare say he'll find this to be a great nostalgic experience in 20 years time when he puts it on, but that's not an experience I had. You see, I guess it's no surprise, but this DVD is very Premiership-years-focussed. I wouldn't mind if it was full of great goals, but some of the more modern ones are pretty ordinary.

And how about this for a damning indictment.....

How many Malcolm Macdonald goals on the DVD? One.

How many Ashley Cole goals? Four.

Three stars is all I can give to this one.

Ricks Road
Ricks Road

5.0 out of 5 stars More Scottish Blues, 2 Jun 2009
This review is from: Ricks Road (Audio CD)
I do like this early Texas stuff. Southside was class. But to me the next two albums are better - that's Mothers Heaven and Rick's Road. Both bluesy, both with catchy tunes. No hesitation in recomending these to blues fans. Texas fans that only came in at the White on Blonde stage might not get what they expected though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9