Profile for John Hutchinson > Reviews

Content by John Hutchinson

John Hutchinson (Leeds, United Kingdom)

My North Country Home
My North Country Home
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 31.54

5.0 out of 5 stars GEORGE IV, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: My North Country Home (Audio CD)
A beautiful compilation which brings back memories of the Canadian TV series George made in the seventies and which was shown in off peak hours on ITV at the time. Nice to have favourites like Canadian Pacific alongside songs like Little Boats of Newfoundland and Lismore Lady available on CD.

Endless Road 7058
Endless Road 7058

5.0 out of 5 stars AURYN, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Endless Road 7058 (Audio CD)
I knew nothing of this band before buying this album now I want to know a lot more. First class English/Spanish album. Any chance of them visiting the UK soon I wonder? I will be there if they do.

Who's The Daddy?: The Life and Times of Shirley Crabtree
Who's The Daddy?: The Life and Times of Shirley Crabtree
by Ryan Danes
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY EASY, 9 Sep 2013
Great book for bringing back memories of the halcyon days of professional wrestling World of Sport style on Saturday afternoons....

The Leif Garrett Collection
The Leif Garrett Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars LEIF GARRETT, 9 Sep 2013
Great compilation on a fondly remembered teen idol from the seventies. Wish I had bought it when it first came out in 1998 :-)

Who I Am
Who I Am
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Blowing me right away, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Who I Am (Audio CD)
Like the reviewer above me suggested, this album is going to take a lot of people by surprise.I have always liked the Jonas Brothers, always regarded all of them as really talented but this is the first time that I have heard anything solo from any of them outside of their family band and I have to say that,great as they are, Nick's album with The Administration is absolutely first rate.Ten top quality tracks, beautifully sung, superb musicianship throughout and perhaps most impressive of all, the fact that Nick has written or co-written every track on the album.Favourite tracks so far-I am on my first listen-Rose Garden, In The End and Tonight, the latter co-written by Nick along with brothers Kevin and Joe, together with Greg Garroway.The album is beautifully produced and I hope it scores a lot of airplay.It really does deserve to be a huge success.

Flipper - Original Series 1  [DVD]
Flipper - Original Series 1 [DVD]
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MEMORIES OF SATURDAY TEATIME VIEWING, 6 Nov 2009
This has to be one of the best DVD purchases I have made, and believe me I have made a lot in recent years. This box set brings wonderful memories of Saturday teatime viewing on ITV here in the UK where shows like Flipper usually followed the Saturday afternoon helping of football, racing, international sports and professional wrestling known as World of Sport.

So we would all be sitting down for tea at about 5.15 pm and on the TV we would get Flipper.

That delightful theme tune has stuck with me throughout the years and now this box set affords me my first chance to see Flipper in colour.It's very well acted throughout, the scenery and underwater photography are excellent and the picture and sound both crystal clear.

Can't wait for the remaining 58 episodes....

Behind These Eyes
Behind These Eyes
Offered by booklore
Price: 6.70

5.0 out of 5 stars VOICE OF AN ANGEL, 14 Aug 2007
This review is from: Behind These Eyes (Audio CD)
It has been several months now since I first became aware of the talent of Justin Lanning.Getting to know Justin as I have through the medium of myspace has brought me into contact with a young man who is most definitely one of a kind.

Justin is a person whom I have found to be a very warm, very friendly, very caring and very spiritual individual and when he channels all of that into his music, this is the result.

A beautiful set of songs, played to perfection and sung with the voice of an angel.

I find it rather frustrating that Justin is not better known in the UK than he is but I am sure that with the right amount of coverage and airplay this will be the CD to change all that.

A few shows over here would help enormously too.

Well done Justin.This,without any doubt, is a great CD

Traditional
Traditional
Offered by Quick Discount Sales
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ANTICIPATION STARTS HERE, 14 Aug 2007
This review is from: Traditional (Audio CD)
Don't know really how Icn give five stars to a CD I haven't heard yet, but I am doing it anyway.Peter Grant's style and pedigree is such that this forthcoming CD cannot fail to be anything other than a completely classy product from start to finish.

I have only seen Peter live twice.The first time was at the opening of his 2006 tour when he played two heartstopping shows at the superb City Varieties Theatre in Leeds, providing me and no doubt everyone else who attended on either night with one of the most magical and emotional nights entertainment they have ever experienced.

Then there was the Spirit of Christmas Show which came to the Grand Theatre in Leeds in January of this year in which Peter effortlessly stole the show completely with his all too brief guest spot.

Now, there is the mouthwatering prospect of a new tour, a new album,another show at the City Varieties-for which I already have my ticket-and I just know that Peteris going to spend the latter part of 2007 really delivering the goods as only he can.

Can't wait now for September 10th.....

Beautiful Soul
Beautiful Soul
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 10.12

5.0 out of 5 stars AN OLD NAME, 11 Jun 2006
This review is from: Beautiful Soul (Audio CD)
An old name in popular music perhaps but definitely a hot new talent for the future.

This is a terrific album, some great songs, an impeccable performance from Jesse.This is a CD which is rarely out of my player at the moment.

For me the stand out songs are the title track, the uplifting "Because You Live" and the really beautiful "Why Don't You Kiss Her".

I look forward to the day when Jesse brings himself and his band over here for a tour.You should come to Leeds, Jesse, I am sure the music fans here will turn out to see you and enjoy your show.

Don't leave it too long!

A Little Bit Of Miki And Griff
A Little Bit Of Miki And Griff

5.0 out of 5 stars LARGELY FORGOTTEN BY RADIO PROGRAMMERS...., 26 Jun 2005
Largely forgotten these days, I fear, by radio programmers, Miki and Griff enjoyed huge popularity with their simple and tuneful pop and country songs and indeed did a great deal to popularise country music in the UK.
Miki and Griff were championed by Lonnie Donegan, who produced some of their early records, used them as backing singers on his own and, perhaps most significantly, gave them guest star spots on his stage and TV shows.
This double CD (32 tracks) contains all their chart hits, such as "A Little Bitty Tear", "Hold Back Tomorrow" and "Rockin' Alone In An Old Rocking Chair".How long since you heard any of those on the radio?
For my money though, the best track is their version of the Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme hit "I Wanna Stay Here" which actually entered the UK charts on the same day as Steve and Edie's-August 22 1963-but peaked at number 23 whilst S and E flew gracefully into the top 3.
With excellent sleeve notes by pop historian Spencer Leigh, this 2CD box set serves as a very valuable and poignant reminder of the talents of Miki and Griff.