Profile for C. Winterburn > Reviews

Content by C. Winterburn

C. Winterburn (Wakefield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein Series Book 2)
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars TUESDAY'S GONE, 7 Jun 2014
another good book and character building going on from the first installment but with this book I felt that some things happened a little too easily and was left wondering, how did that happen so quick and why. I've got book 3 so I'm sticking with it.

Bruno, Chief of Police: A Bruno Courrèges Investigation (Bruno Chief of Police Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars BRUNO, 7 Jun 2014
a very good French murder mystery which also gives you a look into the French rural lifestyle which I think I could easily adapt to. The character, Bruno, is very likeable and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein Series Book 1)
Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars BLUE MONDAY, 7 Jun 2014
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the characters were likeable and strong. I have an interest in the behavioural sciences so this ticked all boxes for me

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars INFERNO, 21 Mar 2014
a lot better than LOST SYMBOL but then at times it did read like a travel guide to Italy again. All was good until the end when it turned into something like a Scooby Doo mystery where the mystery man takes off his mask and the plot is revealed.

MUST TRY HARDER!

Getting Orlando
Getting Orlando

5.0 out of 5 stars GETTING ORLANDO, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Getting Orlando (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! Having read two other books from Mr McDonald I had high expectations and he doesn't disappoint. In fact I loved the other two books (Adam Series) so much that I didn't think he could do something as good and original but it was amazing.

Not so much a gay novel but rather a crime adventure of sorts where the two main characters just happen to be gay. Why can't we have more like this in written form and on TV? In fact this book would make a good film or mini-series.

The main and secondary characters are excellent. All very intriguing. I have a passion for good-looking redheads so I was melting over Orlando.

A brief plot outline. Chap needs to make some money and so offers to carrier items abroad for a mysterious fellow. At all gets out of hand for him but his end goal is the delightful ginger chap he sees and falls in love with on a train.

I really aren't going to say anything further on this. If you want a first class book that puts you right inside the story then whether gay or straight or whatever, I'm sure this book will delight.

A Broken Family
A Broken Family

5.0 out of 5 stars A BROKEN FAMILY, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Broken Family (Kindle Edition)
if you read the back cover, the book itself is not what is to be expected, it's so much more. A very involving book. I think I felt a part of it because I've known characters like what appear within these pages.

Very well written and set in a period where it seems men were men and the woman's place was in the kitchen and then when the man has a fully belly, she'd better be on the bed and willing or be taken by force. Was society in the late 50's really that barbaric?

Mostly based around one street where at the top you have the snobs and living at the bottom you have your working class salt of the earth types.

Quite a fascinating read and so much better than I was expecting it to be.

I relate strongly to Mabel Povis.

The Narrow Search (Bello)
The Narrow Search (Bello)

4.0 out of 5 stars THE NARROW SEARCH, 9 Feb 2014
another great thriller written in the 1950's. A very original plot with lots of twists to it. Pleasing characters. It came to a conclusion a bit too suddenly though. I'd have liked to have seen it build up a bit. The end seemed rushed.

That aside, a very enjoyable read.

Paying The Piper
Paying The Piper

4.0 out of 5 stars PAYING THE PIPER, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Paying The Piper (Kindle Edition)
gets off to a very fast start. A story of revenge. But who is the Piper and what's the ransom that has to be paid? It was above OK but not great. I found it went round in circles a bit and then things seemed to happen for sheer convenience, not that I'm clever enough to have written it any better so if you like a good thriller with a bit of police procedure thrown in then it may appeal to you.

The Chase: Isaac Bell #1 (Isaac Bell Series)
The Chase: Isaac Bell #1 (Isaac Bell Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars THE CHASE, 25 Jan 2014
it's the second Clive Cussler book I've read. The first was years ago, Vixen 03, one of the Dirk Pit novels and at the time I remember it went on and on and gave little pleasure. I've had many describe me in the same words. Back to this book and it's set in a time-shift between around 1916 and the 1950's. It was quite a fast paced read. I liked all the characters. It was fun to work out who exactly was going to be the bad guy. I sort of wish he'd escaped to make another book out of him but you'll not be shocked to know that the bad guy dies.

I liked it enough to invest in further Isaac Bell novels.

Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 2)
Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book was great and the greatness continues into book 2, 25 Jan 2014
without writing any spoilers for anyone who hasn't read this or the first book, all I'll say is that it is just as gripping as the first, just as sinister and you can never be too sure which side anyone is on. I can't wait for the third book which I think is due out in June.

If you like a good mystery with a twist with a bit of sci-fi added in for good measure then this series of books could be for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10