Profile for D. Spencer > Reviews

Content by D. Spencer

D. Spencer "Big Dave" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Volume 2
Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Volume 2
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 Jan 2014
This cd is a delight. The pieces on it complement each other beautifully; the playing is flawless and energetic, subtle and soulful, and uplifting in the way that perhaps only folk music can be.
I love it and recommend it unreservedly.

Throw Down Your Heart - Tales From The Acoustic Planet Vol.3 Africa Sessions
Throw Down Your Heart - Tales From The Acoustic Planet Vol.3 Africa Sessions

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, 17 Jan 2014
I like Bela Fleck's music, originality and eclecticism very much, but this one stretched me just too far. Whilst I don't doubt the authenticity of the pieces on this c.d., they clash too much with my west European ears. In several cases, I struggled to find much in the way of melody and found the compositions arduous to the point of having to skip to the next track before the last one finished.
I'm sure that people with prior experience and appreciation of genuine African folk music will disagree and find much to enjoy here, but if you aren't au fait with that genre already, caution is advised; have a listen on You Tube etc before buying this one.

One of Our Submarines
One of Our Submarines
by Edward Young
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid book, 13 Dec 2013
This was my first foray into submarine history literature. Recommended by one of the Royal Navy Submarine Museum's very helpful (submarine veteran) staff, it was an excellent introduction to the subject and one of those I didn't want to end. If subsequent reads are as good as this, I can't wait to get hold of them.

Forgotten Victory: The First World War: Myths and Realities
Forgotten Victory: The First World War: Myths and Realities
by G. D. Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary reading, 20 Sep 2013
I loved this book. Gary Sheffield has looked at the British Army's "learning curve" through the war and - whilst applying criticism where it is due - shown that the top brass (and ranks downwards) DID overcome the challenges of breaking (or rather, bending irreperably) the German lines and their army; albeit in a two-steps-forward-and-one-back fashion.
After starting off on one side of the fence, I finished firmly on Dr Sheffield's and am very glad indeed that I read this well-researched, well laid out and very well written book. There are excellent appendices, too: concise summaries of the war in general and a great reading list.
Strongly reccommended.

Lonesome Dove
Lonesome Dove
by Larry McMurtry

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be 6 stars, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lonesome Dove (Paperback)
I can only agree with all the praise & plaudits heaped onto this wonderful book. It's a rich odyssey, with fantastic characters and a plot that stretches out like the most inviting of western trails - and NEVER disappoints.
The start is deceptively slow, but don't be put off: you'll be so glad you read it and I, for one, can't wait to get hold of more McMurtry novels.

Rolling Blackouts
Rolling Blackouts

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical power-shower!, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Rolling Blackouts (Audio CD)
Because they’re doing something distinctive and original, I suspect the Go! Team divide people into camps of those that love them and those that definitely don’t. Fortunately, I’m in the former category and this album is an absolute cracker: exhilarating tracks that you simply have to turn up and which carry you along in a paroxysm of joy.
Like standing under a waterfall on a hot, sticky day, this cd will uplift, invigorate and delight; buy it.

Martha Wainwright
Martha Wainwright

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my kind of thing, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Martha Wainwright (Audio CD)
In a desperate search for something new to listen to, I bought this one "blind" and realised that YouTube and its like are there for a reason. Whilst I don't doubt Ms Wainwright's sincerity and ability as a songwriter and performer, she doesn't produce the kind of music I like. Too country, too introspective, and - if I may - too self-indulgent.
My fault; I should have checked first.

The last days of Fort Vaux, March 9-June 7, 1916;
The last days of Fort Vaux, March 9-June 7, 1916;
by Henry Bordeaux

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 April 2013
I bought a different print of this book, but the content is the same.
Written at the time of the battle, the narrative has more than its share of propaganda and speculation, but is nevertheless a fascinating read, littered with diary extracts and eyewitness account. The description of the relentless engagements around Damloup, trenches R1-3 and the fort itself make for compelling reading and I heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in the period.
Two suggestion before you buy it: 1) get a printed map of the Fort de Vaux area at the time (you can find this on the web), 2) read Alistair Horne's "The Price of Glory" first.

Her Privates We
Her Privates We
by Frederic Manning

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Her Privates We (Paperback)
An odd, but interesting book. There were superfluous pieces that I skipped entirely, but ultimately this is a fascinating look into the infantry experience of WW1.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2013 11:40 PM BST

Blind
Blind

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Blind (Audio CD)
Some people have said this album isn't as good as their first, but for me the songs show more maturity, better writing/playing and a clearer idea of where they were going. One criticism, that stopped me giving it 5 stars: Harriet's voice is lost on some tracks (I think this has been pointed out by other reviewers) and should've been brought much more to the forefront.
Other than that: superb.