Profile for D. Spencer > Reviews

Content by D. Spencer

D. Spencer "Big Dave" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Hasegawa 1:72 - (00234) Mirage F.1C - H-B04
Hasegawa 1:72 - (00234) Mirage F.1C - H-B04
Offered by TOY SHOP JAPAN HOBBYONE.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but crude, 15 Feb. 2015
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
There's a reason this kit is inexpensive: the panels are raised instead of recessed and it goes together like a 1970s Airfix model. The fuselage halves are mis-aligned, the tail planes don't sit horizontally and fitting the undercarriage is a nightmare that can't be resolved. I'm too stubborn to give up, but this one's being put down to experience. Don't bother.

The Baraboo Guards: A Novel of the American Civil War
The Baraboo Guards: A Novel of the American Civil War
by John K. Driscoll

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the way that people change individually and collectively in ..., 8 Dec. 2014
Really well-written (finished it today). Proper plot, fast-moving, multi-layered, character development. I loved the way that people change individually and collectively in this novel. No-one's whiter-than-white and it's all highly plausible. A great story of sacrifice, tragedy and humanity in the worst possible circumstances. Lovely.

Plaster Board Spring Toggle - M6 x 75mm (Pack of 6)
Plaster Board Spring Toggle - M6 x 75mm (Pack of 6)
Offered by Suki Hardware

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful before buying these, 8 Dec. 2014
Not sure whether I'm using these incorrectly or not, but I can't get them to grip the wall, so they spin uselessly on the other side and the attachment wobbles around. Surely there should be some means by which they grip onto the wall? The hole you have to drill is far wider than the screw (to get the spring through) so it can't grip onto anything, like a plastic rawlplug would. Buy with caution - I find the white plastic ones far easier to use; these are a mystery.

The Officer's Ward [DVD] [2002]
The Officer's Ward [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Éric Caravaca

5.0 out of 5 stars In the best tradition of war films, 1 Dec. 2014
A French film; so it has a plot, proper dialogue, humour, pathos and is enthralling from start to finish.
In the best tradition of war films, this one is about the human experience and impact rather than gung-ho nonsense with explosions and stylised derring-do. The end is not neat, but is very believable; I'll watch it again and enjoy it just as much, because the film has layers and complexities most Hollywood directors seem to struggle with.
I wish there were more like this (and A Very Long Engagement) - if anyone can suggest others to watch, I'd appreciate it.
Bravo to all concerned for such a fine piece of work about an aspect of war that is so rarely covered.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2015 7:52 PM GMT

'Unbroken': The story of a submarine
'Unbroken': The story of a submarine
by Alastair Mars

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand!, 17 Oct. 2014
This is a wonderful book. Compelling, full of detail about life on board a submarine and one that kept me up at night when I should've been sleeping. A ripping yarn if ever there was one. Highly recommended - I'd give it 6 stars if I could.
Thanks to the excellent guide at the equally wonderful Submarine Museum, Gosport, for suggesting this and Youngs' 'One of Our Submarines'.

A History of Ancient Britain
A History of Ancient Britain
by Neil Oliver

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd expected, 17 Oct. 2014
I was surprised & disappointed by this book, which seemed to never really get to the 'meat' of its subject matter and instead rambled around ancient monuments and memories of archaeological digs. Nice enough, in its own way, but it has the tone of a slide show without the photos; what I wanted was to learn about life in the respective eras (beyond the ceremonies and speculation about how corpses might have died).
Didn't finish it.

Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Volume 2
Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Volume 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 Jan. 2014
This cd is a delight. The pieces on it complement each other beautifully; the playing is flawless and energetic, subtle and soulful, and uplifting in the way that perhaps only folk music can be.
I love it and recommend it unreservedly.

Throw Down Your Heart - Tales From The Acoustic Planet Vol.3 Africa Sessions
Throw Down Your Heart - Tales From The Acoustic Planet Vol.3 Africa Sessions

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, 17 Jan. 2014
I like Bela Fleck's music, originality and eclecticism very much, but this one stretched me just too far. Whilst I don't doubt the authenticity of the pieces on this c.d., they clash too much with my west European ears. In several cases, I struggled to find much in the way of melody and found the compositions arduous to the point of having to skip to the next track before the last one finished.
I'm sure that people with prior experience and appreciation of genuine African folk music will disagree and find much to enjoy here, but if you aren't au fait with that genre already, caution is advised; have a listen on You Tube etc before buying this one.

One of Our Submarines
One of Our Submarines
by Edward Young
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid book, 13 Dec. 2013
This was my first foray into submarine history literature. Recommended by one of the Royal Navy Submarine Museum's very helpful (submarine veteran) staff, it was an excellent introduction to the subject and one of those I didn't want to end. If subsequent reads are as good as this, I can't wait to get hold of them.

Forgotten Victory: The First World War: Myths and Realities
Forgotten Victory: The First World War: Myths and Realities
by G. D. Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary reading, 20 Sept. 2013
I loved this book. Gary Sheffield has looked at the British Army's "learning curve" through the war and - whilst applying criticism where it is due - shown that the top brass (and ranks downwards) DID overcome the challenges of breaking (or rather, bending irreperably) the German lines and their army; albeit in a two-steps-forward-and-one-back fashion.
After starting off on one side of the fence, I finished firmly on Dr Sheffield's and am very glad indeed that I read this well-researched, well laid out and very well written book. There are excellent appendices, too: concise summaries of the war in general and a great reading list.
Strongly reccommended.