Profile for Booklover > Reviews

Content by Booklover

Booklover "Booklover" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Capital
Capital

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Capital (Kindle Edition)
I had heard great things about Capital, and snapped it up at Kindle promotional price, without even really reading the description. It was an impulse buy but one I'm glad I made. Lanchester's observations about modern London life sparkle, and you won't be disappointed.

Running With Scissors
Running With Scissors

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 4 Mar. 2013
Had been thinking about buying this book for years, and have no idea why I didn't do it sooner. Absolutely hilarious, and highly recommended.

Department 19 (Department 19, Book 1)
Department 19 (Department 19, Book 1)
by Will Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic waiting to happen?, 29 Mar. 2011
When you've been hearing a huge buzz about a book for months before publication, it's a scary moment when you open the Amazon package. Will it live up to your expectations? Can it? I'm v. glad to be able to tell you that Will Hill's debut does. In spades. Not only is there absolutely incredible attention to detail, but it's also got amazingly realistic characters and a completely gripping plot. I'm still reliving every moment of Jamie's story! I also think it's a story that will appeal to adults just as much to younger readers - as long as you're not afraid of a little bit of violence, that is :) Honestly one of my books of the year - and has the potential to become a classic. Bring on the next one, that's all I can say.

Purls of Wisdom: The Book of Knitting
Purls of Wisdom: The Book of Knitting
by Jenny Lord

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum scrum..., 4 Oct. 2010
Beautifully designed, with lovely patterns and really interesting projects - this is SUCH a great introduction to knitting. Perfect for (cack-handed!) amateurs like me, and I reckon imaginative enough for old pros as well. Highly recommended.

The Ice Cream Girls
The Ice Cream Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, a fantastic novel, 20 Aug. 2010
This is the first Dorothy Koomson I've read. And to be honest, I was tempted in by the low Amazon price for Kindle more than anything. However, I will now be reading all of Dorothy's novels, because I found THE ICE CREAM GIRLS to be one of the most gripping, compelling and powerful books I've read in a long time. With the title and the pastel cover, you sort of imagine you're in for something lightweight, but this is not even remotely like that: it deals with hard-hitting issues in the most personal and emotional of ways. I can't recommend this highly enough. Buy it!

The Finishing Touches
The Finishing Touches
by Hester Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 22 May 2010
This review is from: The Finishing Touches (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Hester Browne for a long time and think she's just great. The Little Lady Agency is one of my favourite novels of all time. But The Finishing Touches may even be better. It's laugh-out-loud funny, with a brilliant modern heroine who you'll totally feel is your friend by the end of the novel. And you really won't want that end to come. Plus it's got two very different heroes, and she keeps you guessing as to who our heroine will end up with. And it's filled with tips like how to walk in high heels! I'm half-tempted to read this book all over again rather than starting another right now! Also, the package is gorgeous - somehow way prettier in real life than in the Amazon image. Read it!

Lucy in the Sky
Lucy in the Sky
by Paige Toon

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent chick-lit, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Paperback)
I would challenge chicklit readers not to love this book. Escapist, fun, and with a heroine who feels completely real. Highly recommended.

Fairytale of New York
Fairytale of New York
by Miranda Dickinson

3.0 out of 5 stars There's better chick-lit out there, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Paperback)
I really think thought this novel had potential. I loved the cover and the premise. But in the end I couldn't escape the feeling that it was packaging prevailing over quality. It's a sweet novel, but I can't imagine recommending it very highly to anyone, sadly.

BlackBook Guide to New York: Shops, Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Hotels
BlackBook Guide to New York: Shops, Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Hotels
by Amy Steinhauser

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but smaller than expected!, 22 May 2010
I'd encountered the Black Books guides to NY before and was expecting this to be bulkier, and have more maps and lists. But it's still got all the best, hippest recommendations for NYC. And I'm very much looking forward to trying some of them out!

This Charming Man
This Charming Man
by Marian Keyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda disappointing, but still Marian (ie. better than lots that's out there), 12 May 2008
This review is from: This Charming Man (Hardcover)
Seriously though, this really isn't Marian Keyes' best. Though it contains the usual wit and sparkle, it is wholly flawed by the utterly annoying written voice of main heroine Lola. It is sort of a diary style, where she doesn't speak in full sentences. OK for a bit, but it goes on so long I had to keep putting it down, so bored was I of having to fill in the gaps mentally. That said though, I do love Marian Keyes. Her writing is far superior to many women's fiction writers and - despite the annoyingness of Lola - I loved the other narrators, and was genuinely moved by the ending. Also, I guess because I loved 'Anybody Out There' so much, perhaps I had overly-high expectations for this. Worth a read, if you're already a fan, but if you're new to Marian, I would recommend trying something from the (mostly better) backlist first.

Page: 1 | 2