Profile for Mr. D. E. ROBERTS > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. E. ROBERTS

Mr. D. E. ROBERTS (North Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Eno Clip on Guitar Tuner
Eno Clip on Guitar Tuner

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheap bit of junk, 17 Jun. 2016
There is nothing positive that can be said about this tuner. The battery was difficult to put in as there was a metal strip at the side of the battery compartment which caused the battery to spring out. It just wouldn't stay in place. The display on the tuner is in red which makes it difficult to read and the mode letter is totally unreadable without a magnifying glass eg G=guitar. When clipped onto the guitar, the tuner display cannot be easily seen and finally the tuner is not even accurate. It goes green when a string is not quite in tune. I checked it against an online tuner and a perfectly-tuned string showed as red. Just useless.

OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener
OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener

5.0 out of 5 stars The opener I've been looking for, 25 April 2016
This opener has passed the acid test. Yes, it actually opened a Fray Bentos tin with ease. My last attempt took me 15 minutes, two different tin openers and one snapped knife blade. I nearly threw the effing pie away.
The OXO opener pierced the tin first time but for some reason, refused to turn clockwise. Despair set in but I just turned it anticlockwise instead and it took the lid off in one go. Hallelujah !.
The opener itself is solid, well-made and likely to last. Definitely the goto opener for problem tins.

Duzzit Furniture Polish Wipes Jumbo Wipes Pack Of 50 Extra Strong (1)
Duzzit Furniture Polish Wipes Jumbo Wipes Pack Of 50 Extra Strong (1)
Offered by GBP International

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time buying these, 12 April 2016
As these are described as Furniture Polish Wipes, I expected them to smell of furniture polish but instead, they just have a chemical smell. The description is also a misnomer, as the wipes can be used on many different surfaces such as tiles. Now, would you use furniture polish to clean tiles ?. I don't think so. Basically, these wipes are like wet ones except for the chemical smell. They are moist cloths that quickly dry up and do not leave any shine at all on wood. Pretty useless in fact. I suppose though for £1.99 I should not have expected much.

MASON CASH CANE S42 12CM MIXING BOWL
MASON CASH CANE S42 12CM MIXING BOWL
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality bowls but beware of the sticky labels, 13 Mar. 2016
These are great bowls but I've knocked off a star because of the sticky label inside the jar which took me about 10 minutes to get off. I thought it would just peel off but no such luck. It appeared to be superglued on. I can't see the point of putting a label inside the bowl saying Mason Cash when it's on the base of the bowl anyway but there again, that was covered up by another nasty sticky label.

Zyliss Egg Slicer and Wedger - White
Zyliss Egg Slicer and Wedger - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a good buy, 11 Feb. 2016
Excellent egg-slicer which is well made and robust. A good price too.

In Vaults
In Vaults

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music with a unique sound, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: In Vaults (Audio CD)
I must thank Amazon for sending me a recommendation for District 97 otherwise I would not know them. I started listening on youtube and was blown away by The Perfect Young Man, Open your Eyes and I can't take you with me. Superb, crafted music played by real musicians. The music itself is complex, full of surprises and covers a wide spectrum. Some may call it prog rock but it doesn't matter really as it's simply great music. Leslie Hunt's voice is simply outstanding and copes easily with all the intricacies of the arrangements. I would say that her voice is a massive part of their unique sound. My favourite tracks on In Vaults currently are Lottery where the jazzy vocal is just delicious and Blinding Vision but all the tracks are good and it improves with each listen. Very highly recommended.

As someone very firmly rooted in the sixties and seventies, I didn't think that modern music could be this good. I was wrong.

Water Absorbing Glass Clean Washing Blue Sponge Block
Water Absorbing Glass Clean Washing Blue Sponge Block
Offered by sourcingmap

4.0 out of 5 stars Very absorbent sponge, 26 Nov. 2015
I bought this sponge to wipe off condensation which sometimes forms on the top bedroom windows. It's a lot quicker and less messy than using kitchen roll but it isn't quite as good. It does however absorb a lot of water without any dripping so that's good. I found the sponge too big for my purposes so I cut it in half and the inside is indeed very dense. The edges of the sponge are good for wiping the edges of the windows which is where the condensation first forms. As others have said, the sponge needs to be kept moist otherwise it goes hard. Just soak it in a bowl of water and it'll be fine. Sorry this review is so boring but sponges just aren't very interesting.

8 Way Extension Lead Surge Protected With 4 USB Ports + 2 In 1 USB Cable For IOS and Android Devices
Offered by sixovus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit and nice looking too, 27 Aug. 2015
This is a great product and I'm very pleased with it. It is sturdy, attractively designed and it has certainly tidied up the cables underneath my desk.
It was also well packaged when it arrived. My only minor criticism is that the single sheet describing the product labelled "Smart Charging Socket Product Manual" is poor and the font used is very small making it difficult to read. There are only three switches on the unit but none of these is described. There are two half moon switches on top of the unit which each give power to two pairs of sockets and also a power switch for the four USB connectors.

According to the comments, there seems to be some confusion about what this unit is for. One person says categorically that it is a charging station although that phrase is not used in the Amazon description. It is an 8 way extension lead with 4 USB connectors and currently I have plugged in my PC, monitor, disk drive, printer, hub, phone and old 4 way gang socket. Everything is working perfectly.

Solstice
Solstice

5.0 out of 5 stars No beef about this, 12 April 2015
This review is from: Solstice (MP3 Download)
A very English sound I would say. I didn't even know that Matt Berry was a musician until recently : I just admired his sublime performances in House of Fools where the audience always cheers when he enters. Solstice is very good indeed and apart from the Mike Oldfield influences, I can detect hints of Caravan, Camel and even a touch of Gentle Giant. For anyone who loves prog-rock as much as I do, this is a must.

12 Strong Black Plastic Clip Hangers, Trouser, Skirts Coat Clothes Hanger-Choose Quantity (12 Hangers)
Offered by The Hanger Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 27 Mar. 2015
Cheap and nasty, I'm afraid. Only used one hanger so far and one of the fasteners just fell off.
All it was holding was a light pair of trousers. The hanger itself is very flimsy and I'm sure I could
break it in two with not much effort. Don't buy even though they are cheap.

UPDATE 19 April 2015. Five of these hangers have failed now due to the metal clips which just aren't
strong enough to take the force when the clip is under pressure. They simply snap in two. I just cannot
understand the mainly positive reviews.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4