Profile for Tikksy T > Reviews

Tikksy T "T" (London)

Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
by Noo Saro-Wiwa

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and amusing journey into the author's past., 18 Jan 2012
I loved this book. As someone who also was brought up outside my country of birth and forced to visit as a child, the author's journey around Nigeria really resonated with me. I loved learning about Nigeria, seen through her eyes. I came away feeling the love the author has for her roots, yet the frustration she and many others feel about the ineffectual military and civilian governments Nigeria has had since independence. The star of the journey really was Nigeria and its people, I'd love to visit one day!

The Locust and the Bird: My Mother's Story
The Locust and the Bird: My Mother's Story
by Hanan Al-Shaykh

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, emotional, gripping, 6 Jun 2009
I absolutely loved this book.... A funny, sad, emotional story about the life of a Lebanese woman in the 1940s-1950s. Something we don't usually read about. What a life Kamila led, I really became gripped by her tale, she was so strong, fighting all the obstacles in her path. But what was most touching was the way the author got to know her mother properly whilst writing this book, understanding her and understanding why her mother had to leave when she was young.

I didn't flinch from the emotion in this book. It made it 'real' and ever more interesting to read a 'real' story about the strength and resilience of women in this part of the world.

A definite KEEPER!

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 1 Jun 2009
I love this book, there are so many recipes, something to suit everyone. I found the recipes easy to use and have always got great results!