Profile for helen > Reviews

helen

After the Fall
After the Fall

3.0 out of 5 stars After a fantastic, gripping start, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: After the Fall (Kindle Edition)
After a fantastic, gripping start, I found this book a little slow moving, sometimes dull. However, the last quarter of the novel picks up again, pulling the story together, making me turn the pages. Even though I'd guessed the ending, it still bought a tear to my eye.

Perceptions of Pain
Perceptions of Pain
by Deborah Padfield

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an intelligent, beautiful book, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: Perceptions of Pain (Hardcover)
This is an intelligent, beautiful book. My daughter suffers constant pain in her ankles, and I am intrigued by the frustrating way language so often fails when trying to express an individual perception of pain. This is where Deborah Padfield succeeds - her extraordinary photographs offer a haunting, sometimes harrowing look at what different people feel; but her visual exploration of the nuances of sensation are always enlightening. This important book opens new pathways of communication, not just between doctor and patient, but between all of us.

Fallout
Fallout
by Sadie Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Fallout (Hardcover)
I've been a great fan of Sadie Jones since reading The Outcast. I loved her next book too. But I was disappointed with her 3rd. However I still bought Fallout, and I certainly wasn't disappointed this time. In fact I think it's her best one yet. It's a beautiful, intimate novel that kept me turning the pages, hungry for the story, while being entranced by the exquisite language. The characters are real and flawed, and they all had my complete empathy.

Black Scorpion Paperweight 7cm x 4cm
Black Scorpion Paperweight 7cm x 4cm
Offered by kindness101

5.0 out of 5 stars great present, 12 Mar 2014
I got this for my son's birthday. It arrived on time. It is exactly as it says on the description. He loves it.

Maid of Oaklands Manor (The Oaklands Manor Trilogy Series Book 1)
Maid of Oaklands Manor (The Oaklands Manor Trilogy Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Pleasure, 30 Aug 2013
This book was such a pleasure. Despite the fact that it's long, I read it quickly, greedily. Once you get into the world, it becomes compulsive. I loved all the historical detail, the rounded characters and layers of intrigue that build so beautifully. Ms Nixon has created a heroine to fall in love with. A book I definitely recommend.

Vivacite de Bach Perfume (115ml)
Vivacite de Bach Perfume (115ml)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Scent, 10 May 2013
This perfume was a present for my daughter who had asked for it. She had fallen in love with it when she'd tried it out. She was delighted to receive it and it has lived up to her expectations and is now her favourite perfume. I can see why she loves it and am tempted to get some for myself. It is a subtle, natural, compelling scent that seems to suit different skin types. It also came through the post on time.

The Author
The Author

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful album, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Author (Audio CD)
It's a beautiful album full of haunting songs - I love them more with every listen. Her music is full of soulful longing with a raw edge. Karima Francis is a talented musician and song-writer and I'm glad I've discovered her.

Rush Home Road
Rush Home Road
by Lori Lansens

4.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: Rush Home Road (Paperback)
I bought this book because I enjoyed her novel The Girls so much. As with The Girls, I found Rush Home Road very readable. The story is vivid and fast paced and my empathy stayed with the main character. I think, in the end, I found it a little episodic, and it isn't such a powerful book as The Girls. However, I wasn't disappointed;I did enjoy it and both my daughters (in their 20's) read it and enjoyed it.