Profile for Dommett > Reviews

Content by Dommett

Dommett (Devon, UK)

Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Volt (discountinued by manufacturer)
Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Volt (discountinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome looking watch, 5 Dec. 2012
The watch looks really good, I chose the bright yellow/green as it does stand out a little more as the black one once on your wrist is a very plain black watch.
It's obviously more expensive than a lot of the competitors watches and the functionality is somewhat lacking, but I've found it works well running and with the heart rate, and synchronizes with the Nike+ website and I can use the watch OR the Nike+ app on my iPhone and both will appear under the same account which is nice.
It's worth using the Nike+ app and website to see if you like the data that this watch provides and how it's displayed on the website, as there's no other way of getting the data from the watch.

It's a shame that the software on the phone isn't better as it could provide much more options, for example I want it to just track my heart rate during a workout (not just running) in the gym but it can only do this as part of a run which doesn't feel right.
The GPS seems to be very accurate when zooming in it seems accurate to less than a metre.

As for problems though, I decided to buy from a Nike shop on the high street as I had read there were problems, and the first watch I had did experience those problems, the battery lasted a few days (which I didn't know wasn't normal) and then started to fail to charge etc.
The watch it was replaced with (No hassle from Sweatshop) the battery lasts literally months without charging (or use), so it can be used as a normal watch (I'm only a fair weather runner outside!) and I've not had any further issues, so I think as others have mentioned there is obviously some bad batches going round.

To sum up, there is definitely technically better watches out there, if you want something functional, look elsewhere, but NONE look anywhere near as good as this watch, so you're only going to buy it if your slightly vain and have a few quid to spare :)

Polar Wearlink+ Transmitter For Nike+
Polar Wearlink+ Transmitter For Nike+

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with some gym equipment, 4 Dec. 2012
Purchased this for use with the Nike GPS watch, put it on, connected up and it worked.
I wasn't expecting it, but the TechnoGym equipment at my local gym also picks up the transmission.
Not really a lot more to say about it :)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars The nib is still quite large and soft, 5 July 2012
I read many reviews of this stylus, all rating it well above others, and this is my first experience of using such a stylus on iOS, having previously used them on traditional touchscreens.
The nib is quite large and very soft, like a bubble at the end, I guess it has to mimick a finger, but I was expecting a solid nib.

Seems to do the trick providing you push it down instead of lightly brushing the screen.

And the item feels solidly made.

Head First iPhone and iPad Development: A Learner's Guide to Creating Objective-C Applications for the iPhone and iPad
by Dan Pilone

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly out of date, but definitely still worth it., 4 Feb. 2012
OK, firstly the edition I received is slightly out of date, it does not have ARC (automatic reference counting) but to be honest, the book teaches you good memory management techniques, the fact you no longer need them, doesn't mean it's not good to learn, as long as you remember to untick it for the exercises or not try to release objects.
It's also missing any reference to story boarding in xcode, but again, remember to untick it when doing the exercises, and then you can follow them using the old xib files instead.
This is a really great read through, I have also purchased Kochan's Objective-C reference book, which does have ARC in it and Sams 24HR, also a 2012 book, as I felt it would be better to read more than one to fully learn.

The book takes you through several applications and is much more like learning from a good interactive teacher (think mad science teacher from school) than a university lecturer. :)

[I'm a very experienced Windows developer, but new to Macs and iOS].

Klipsch Image X1 Headphones
Klipsch Image X1 Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Dec. 2011
Can't complain, they sound perfectly acceptable. I was hoping for more due to them selling some really good more expensive headphones. These are budget headphones though. The design is a bit odd, not looked in the mirror yet to see but it feels like they stick out!
Come in a little bag to keep them in and the usual different size silicon buds.
For around £15, nowt wrong with them, but can't really compare to their more expensive offerings.

Jaguar XK8 & XKR Performace Portfolio 1996-2005 (Brooklands Books Road Test Series): XK8. 4.0 & 4.2 XKR. 4.0 and 4.2 Coupe. Convertible (Performance Portfolio)
by R.M. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars A Collection of Articles, 12 Feb. 2010
It's a nice to have book(let) that contains lot's of written articles (like from magazines/newspapers) that have been published over the years about the XK8/XKR and a little background information.

10M BLK 3.5MM STEREO M-F EXT CBL GLD
10M BLK 3.5MM STEREO M-F EXT CBL GLD
Offered by sellthemquick

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound is fine, but didnt switch off the speaker, 12 Feb. 2010
It's very very long, and reassuringly thick cable, and sounds fine, although I'm only using it to connect my bedroom TV to a Sound Asleep pillow (pillow with a speaker built in.
The only issue is that for whatever reason, plugging it in the TV headphone socket didnt cause the TV to switch of it's speakers. like normal A/V stuff works.
It's not the TV, as plugging headphones in did cause it to switch the speakers off automatically.

How it turns out actually works quite well, as my TV has seperate volume for headphones & speakers, so I just need to turn the volume down and the headphone volume remains constant #as it's set in the menu). It also means I can have volume out of both, but I can see why it might cause a problem if it was being used with a device not able to do this.

Cant go wrong for the price.