Profile for Vidar Halvorsen > Reviews

Content by Vidar Halvorsen

Vidar Halvorsen "vrvlvnd" (Oslo, Norway)

Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
by Doug Lemov

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for every teacher, 27 Dec 2010
What this book gives you is absolutely essential to your career as a teacher. Having been trained as a teacher and having worked as a teacher for more than ten years, I still come away from reading this book with many new insights into teaching techniques. The author gives you 49 techniques (and then some), well explained and many of them demonstrated on film clips as well. This is not a theoretic work. Its focus is on clear techniques that you can practise and bring into your classroom. Many of them are directly related to classroom management, but some focus on areas such as planning as well.

The strength of the book lies in how Lemow demonstrates and shows you how to apply the techniques. Almost every one of them has detailed examples and explanations as to how you should implement them yourself, giving examples both of what to do and what not to do. Additionally, having access to film clips makes it easier to understand the techniques. Seeing something in action is gold.

The one quibble I have with the book is how the author attacks reading strategies. I don't quite understand the reasoning for doing so. Perhaps it has to do with giving too much responsibility to individual learners? Another thing is that the author's presentation of "reading strategies" is rather restricted and doesn't give the complete picture. Moreover, I don't see why it should be necessary to criticize reading strategies as such. It stands out so much that you start to wonder why nothing else comes under the author's scrutiny to the same degree. Why reading strategies and not general learning strategies? What's more, I start to wonder why you don't see the techniques he focuses on under the same kind of scrutiny. All in all this is still minor criticism, as it regards one part of a chapter not having to do with the actual techniques discussed.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar [Board Book]
The Very Hungry Caterpillar [Board Book]
by Eric Carle
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Larvae Never-Full!, 30 Sep 2009
This is a brilliant book for kids. My daughter loves this one. Our version is a Norwegian one, titled Little Larvae Never Full. The way it develops, especially by using the layout, is just awesome. You won't regret buying the book.

The Varangian Way
The Varangian Way
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Real metal that needs you to warm to the music, 4 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Varangian Way (Audio CD)
Half a year ago I discovered Turisas by a stroke of luck, surfing the Internet for new bands. I read about how Turisas impressed with live performances everywhere. After a visit to their web site I purchased Battle Metal and never regretted it. When first listening to The Varangian Way I was a bit underwhelmed and disappointed in it. That is what is called a first impression.

Having been so pleased with Battle Metal, I decided to give the album a chance anyways and I ordered it from Amazon. Actually it took some time for me to warm to the album. I think I played the album once before putting it aside. Then a month later I put it on again ... and again ... and again. Now I play it all the time.

This is an album I had to invest time in for it to really sink in. Now I think it is even better than Battle Metal. For more details about the album you should visit the band's web site, [...] where there is an extensive presentation of the album and how it is structured.

Some last observations: "Cursed Be Iron" to me has to be the ultimate metal song ever. The lyrics are superb and the music is top notch metal. However, if you prefer clean vocals, you should maybe consider something else, although the black metal-like vocals of singer Warlord Nygård are not as prevalent as on Battle Metal.

Gung Ho!: How To Motivate People In Any Organization (The One Minute Manager)
Gung Ho!: How To Motivate People In Any Organization (The One Minute Manager)
by Ken Blanchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enlightening about turning things around, 1 July 2007
This isn't your typical management book about motivating your workers. In this book you follow the main character trying to turn a factory around and saving it from being shut down. The book uses concepts that seem taken from Native American culture to convince the reader about sound management principles. You cannot help nodding in agreement as you experience how the squirrel, the badger and the goose are used as symbols for how work environments should be. This is an entertaining and enlightening read that you should finish in little time, but which will haunt you for longer.

Raving Fans : A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service
Raving Fans : A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service
by Ken Blanchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincing read about satisfying customers, 1 July 2007
I read this book after having read Gung Ho! by the same authors. While not being as good as that book, this is an excellent read about how you make and keep your customers not only satisfied but happy supporters of the services you provide. Like Gung Ho! the book is structured as a story where you follow the protagonist on an enlightening trip around businesses that have one thing in common: they all not only have satisfied customers, they have raving fans of their businesses. You'd better like the storytelling aspect of the book or you might not become a raving fan of the authors... Good, enlightening and entertaining read done in one lazy evening.

How to Motivate People (Creating Success)
How to Motivate People (Creating Success)
by Patrick Forsyth

3.0 out of 5 stars OK read, but heavily geared towards office environments, 1 July 2007
I bought this after reading a different book by the author on time management. I quite liked that one, but this one had me a bit disappointed. The title and description of the book had me thinking this would be a book on general motivation. However, the book is heavily geared towards motivation in an office environment, not focusing much on motivation in other settings (e.g. at home, in school, with sports or such). I also found that many of the motivational tools described demands that you have a big budget at your disposal. This is first and foremost for the managers in big companies, but some of the tools described might be useful for others.

Successful Time Management (Creating Success)
Successful Time Management (Creating Success)
by Patrick Forsyth

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful introduction to time management, 1 July 2007
First, you should know that this is both an introduction to time management and a very general book on this theme. Therefore you should look elsewhere for specifics if that's what you're out for. The book is heavily geared towards managing time in an office environment, particularly managing time as a leader, executive or manager. If you're looking for general principles outside of the office location, you may want to look elsewhere.

The book is easily understandable and written in a clear and precise manner. At times I find myself disagreeing with the author about certain points, though. I particularly disagree with some of the value statements presented between the lines, so to speak. As goes general principles of time management you could do worse.

Human Learning
Human Learning
by Jeanne Ellis Ormrod

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential teacher toolkit, 1 July 2007
This review is from: Human Learning (Hardcover)
As I'm writing this short review I'm still not finished reading it. This is a 500 pages monster of a book that may scare off some would be readers. Hopefully you're not one of those easily scared.

The author guides the reader through behavioral and cognitive oriented theories of learning, always stressing that you should be eclectic in how you view and use the different theories. I find the book structured in a reader friendly way, which makes it easy to use, even though it takes a while to get through.

What is especially attractive is that the author practices what she preaches, namely how to write in an elusive and clear way, making concepts clear to the reader. Very good at providing examples and details. The real goodies come towards the end of the book, as you get to instructional and learning strategies.

I cannot praise this effort enough, though I'm still only on page 300 or so. I try to think of any other book that has been more valuable to me in following up my teacher training, but can't think of one. Time consuming but essential reading and studying material for any teacher.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2008 12:47 PM BST

That 70s Show - Complete Series 1 [DVD]
That 70s Show - Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ashton Kutcher
Offered by AGJ1965

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite series, 16 Feb 2006
Words really can't express my feelings towards this show. Sadly I've watched too much television, and when you do, you tend to really embrace what's actually good out there. That '70s Show is the best I've ever seen, and I've enjoyed shows like Seinfeld, Simpsons, Friends, Frasier and the like. For me, this show tops them all.
Maybe it has to do with revisiting your own past as you sort of revisit the past of the makers of this show too. Following the hilarious stunts of the Wisconsin kids as they stumble through their teens cracks me up every time I watch an episode. Watching Donna and Eric's growing relationship, the stupidity of Kelso, Hyde flirting with his left-wing philosophies and small time would-be criminality ...and so on and so on... really makes the stress go away.
The show is a wonderful mix of good humour, touching on important themes with not too much seriousness and striking the chords of the human soul. *sniff* Gotta spin the disk too stop the tears of joy flowing... ;)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2011 7:41 AM BST