Profile for AyJay > Reviews

Content by AyJay
Top Reviewer Ranking: 768

AyJay (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Destiny Unchosen (Rust & Relics 1.5)
Destiny Unchosen (Rust & Relics 1.5)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of this as a souped up training montage.., 18 Aug 2014
This series started on a strong note and, judging by this between-books glimpse from Temi's pov as she trains, the fast paced blend of fantasy and science fiction is set to continue.

I was already looking forward to book two in the Rust & Relics series, but now I'm really excited - maybe more so the I was for the last Emperor's Edge (Republic) entry...

China Glaze Nail Polish, Rest In Pieces 14 ml
China Glaze Nail Polish, Rest In Pieces 14 ml
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P., 15 Aug 2014
Rest In Pieces is one of the five new shades in the 2014 Halloween collection 'Apocalypse'. It is made up of hex glitter in yellow gold, copper, and teensy holographic pieces. There are also a few black hex shapes in various sizes scattered throughout the mix. We're not done yet; there are also yellow gold, copper, and holographic bar glitter pieces scattered in a clear base, so is made for layering over other polishes.

It looks especially good over light grey, light/medium greens, or bright red for that seasonal touch. It looks fairly good over orange too, though the copper and gold speckles don't stand out as much as they do worn over the previously listed shades.

Having said that I like wearing two or three coats of Rest In Pieces either on it's own, or over a nude polish as the holographic pieces are so pretty. As well as wearing it I've also been making loads of swatches and I think that it looks good layered with darker pink shades, blues and purples/plums, so I think that you can wear this polish must of the year as well as the Halloween round up.

_

Despite the glitter chunks this polish is easy to apply, leaving no bubbles or streaks and I was impressed with the drying time. Plus it dries pretty smoothly too - a good topcoat leave more or less totally smooth the slight texture out. Being a bit of a glitter bomb it does take a little bit more effort to remove, but it seems easier than most of my other glitter laden polishes.

I am tough on my hands and regularly bang and catch my nails (self powered wheelchair user), so I'm not a lot of help determining the average wear of this polish, though I've found that it adds a day or two to the life of my manicure worn as a topper.

China Glaze Nail Polish, Dont Let The Dead Bite 14 ml
China Glaze Nail Polish, Dont Let The Dead Bite 14 ml
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite China Glaze shade..., 10 Aug 2014
Don't Let The Dead Bite is one of the five new shades in the 2014 Halloween collection 'Apocalypse'. It is a red tinged milky grey creme shade, filled with different sized red glitter particles. Two coats aren't totally solid, but I don’t mind the semi-sheer look. Three coats will give you a largely opaque look.

Since China Glaze's 2010 'Awakening' collection their Halloween releases were rather tame. Don't get me wrong many of the later polishes were nice, but most of them didn't exactly scream "Halloween", so this years collection is really exciting as it is fun and fits in with the season - this particular shade looks like blood splatters on dead flesh. A perfect fit for this year's zombie theme.

Then again I am wearing it now [I found a site that shipped it in July] and I don't feel that it is too out of place in the summer either; maybe because most people consider red to be a year round classic shade? You could always prettify this shade up if you want by topping it with another glitter, so I do consider this to be a year round shade.

_

Despite the heavy amounts of glitter this polish is easy to apply, leaving no bubbles or streaks and I was impressed with the drying time. Plus it dries pretty smoothly too - a good topcoat leave more or less totally smooth the slight texture out. Being a glitter bomb it does take a little bit more effort to remove, but it seems easier than my other glitter-heavy polishes.

I am tough on my hands and regularly bang and catch my nails (self powered wheelchair user), so I'm not a lot of help determining wearability.

Philips GC2045/26 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120 g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Blue
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing it out...‏, 4 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
was excited about trying the Philips iron as it is significantly cheaper than the Russell Hobbs model of iron that I already own and is now on it's last legs. Plus this particular model of iron has a larger water tank then my current iron, and has a ceramic coated plate. Would it turn out to be something that actually would make this daily task any quicker and easier?

The iron's water tank is easy to fill, the iron heats up quickly, and the temperature settings are quick and easy to amend. There has been the odd spot of water dribble, but that has never been a concern for me - like most people I want the chore of ironing to be done as soon as possible.

Having four kids means that I have been using this iron daily, on a wide variety of clothing materials, so I feel as though I've been giving this product adequate testing.

This iron also comes with a heat resistant storage box. A simple thing, but very handy; with children, dogs, and cats, knowing that the searing hot iron is safely stored away after use is invaluable.

The Queen Of The Tearling
The Queen Of The Tearling
by Erika Johansen
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of starts, but still not bad...‏, 3 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I want to clarify that I didn't dislike The Queen Of The Tearling. I did - it's one of those books that is hard to put down. However I had a couple of niggles that just didn't go away, and I felt as though I should voice them.

My main complaint is with the pacing - it seems uneven. We'll have growing tension and action too closely packed together to make an impact on me, followed by not a lot happening for a little while. Rinse and repeat.

Also; Kelsea was sneaked out of the keep as a baby and was brought up by an older couple in isolation from her family and hometown, so she doesn't know much about her own family or her kingdom's past, so therefore the readers don't know anything either. Some people may like how being in the dark puts us in Kelsea's headspace, but all of the secrecy began to really frustrate me; various characters go on about how they want Kelsea to be a strong queen, but they don't tell her everything she needs to know. I soon wished that these people were real so that I could throttle them...

_

Kelsea is a likable character, so my desire to see what would become of her kept me reading The Queen Of The Tearling through the slower parts of the story, instead of just skipping parts.

In fact Kelsea is so likable and well developed that I do intend to read the future books in this trilogy, dispite not being blown away by this book. There's definitely potential here, as the groundwork has been solidly laid, and the lead is developed and someone you want to root for and follow.

Health Aid CoffeeSlim - Green Coffee Bean Extract - 60 Vegan Capsules
Health Aid CoffeeSlim - Green Coffee Bean Extract - 60 Vegan Capsules
Price: 18.22

1.0 out of 5 stars If it sounds too good to be true...‏, 1 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I should be writing a detailed review for this product, but I can't. Simply put - the tablets didn't have any effects on me. None. Zero.

I've tried regular raspberry ketones before and whilst they didn't help my weight drop, they did help with water retention a little bit. However these tablets didn't even help in that regard, nor did I feel the effects of the caffeine the way I do when I've had a caffeinated drink. These pills did absolutely nothing for me, and I followed the guide exactly.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow
Tomorrow and Tomorrow
by Thomas Sweterlitsch
Price: 11.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid read...‏, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Tomorrow and Tomorrow (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like that for the most part John's just a regular man in his world, doing the job he's most suited for, trying to keep himself moving as he struggles with his grief.
The world building is very impressive, and the secondary characters are interesting, so everything comes together nicely and makes the slower parts of the story easy to read.

However, the author then loses my interest slightly by tossing in a few well well-worn genre cliches, and without spoiling anything, I find the reasoning the author has for him to do certain thing he does a bit of a stretch.

The actual story is well written, with a good pace and a likable cast. The author has some good ideas, that I've no read before. It's such a shame that he felt the need to muddy the water by including such obvious cliches.

It's weird; by the end of the book I was satisfied by the story, but I still ended up a little bit disappointed too. Based on this book I'd say that the author has got the talent in him to deliver a must-read book down the line, but just needs more confidence to branch out and drop the 'safe' plot treads.

Philips SC2004/11 Lumea IPL Hair Removal System for body with Slide and Flash Mode
Price: 329.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a one-stop treatment, but it does work...‏, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
*** This device is not recommended for those with red, light blonde, or white/grey hair. It's also not advised for those with what the leaflet calls "blackish brown and darker" skin tones ***

_

I was really excited to invest in a IPL hair removal system; you simply zap the unwanted hairs and they go for good, right? Erm, I quickly learnt that it's not so straightforward as I previously thought. Don't get me wrong; it does work, but it requires the user to stick to a treatment routine and lots of patience...

The main convenience I found was that the device is cordless (it takes an hour to charge and the charger is included). Plus the hand held wand has five power settings, which I thought was really advanced for a home IPL system.

The main thing that I want to point out is that you are meant to use this to treat CLEANLY SHAVEN skin, in order to allow the light beams to reach the hair follicles. I use the highest setting on the wand so my skin does tingle (it feels like when you hold a warm mug) as I use the IPL and is left a bit red in patches for a day, but I actually quite like the sensation and the redness was mild. This can treat all unwanted body hair below the neck.

You have to keep on treating the same area over and over again every few weeks, as although fine, regrowth does continue for at least three months, so yeah, this is not a fix-it-quick solution. However once you have completed the treatment course that is it - you're permanently hairless. You'll never have to reach for a razor, pay for waxing or endure using an epilator ever again.

If you can afford the device and can [and will] stick to a treatment routine, this will work out for you, as if you kept paying for salon sessions it would be costlier and waxing and epilating does hurt. Using a razor will only give you a day or two with smooth, hair free skin, whereas the results of this will be permanent with patience.

The Cabana Cookbook
The Cabana Cookbook
by David Ponté
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for BBQ weather...‏, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Cabana Cookbook (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wouldn't describe myself as a great cook but I do like giving new dishes a go, so I couldn't wait to open the book and get stuck in, and for the most part I'm happy with my copy of The Cabana. Sure; there are quite a few things that I'd class as 'fancy party finger food', but the majority of the dishes are salads, stews and marinades using fairly easy to find ingredients. I will gradually try out most of the recipes here, which is not the case with many cook books.

The how-to steps for the recipes are easy to follow and there are plenty of full-colour photographs providing illustration, so this is an attractive book, and would be something that would make a useful gift for someone, as well as a gift for yourself.

The Inheritance
The Inheritance
by Tilly Bagshawe
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and frothy...‏, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not usually a fan of this type of comedy/drama/romance soap oprah type plots in books, but I do make exceptions for Tilly Bagshawe, because simply put; her books are hilarious. I mean laugh-out-loud-so-people-stare-at-you-funny kind of hilarious. Plus she manages to make the characters that I find annoying in similar books likable, so I always enjoy the ride with her books.

Sure, The Inheritance is the most OTT and unbelievable book of hers that I've read, but i'm giving it a high rating simply because it entertained me all the way through, and made forget about my problems for a little while.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20