Profile for Steve Knight > Reviews

Steve Knight

Night Walks
Night Walks

5.0 out of 5 stars Becoming a stranger in my own home!, 22 May 2015
This review is from: Night Walks (Audio CD)
This is a quite stunning album. It has great depth, just plop the headphones on and drift-away.

The only thing is that I have to put the headphones on because my wife and children hate it. I think the point is this is not incidental music, it has to be 'actively listened' to. Really great stuff though, nothing quite like it, buy it and you could be a stranger too.

Archipelago
Archipelago

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully rich, trippy electro-jazz with some monster bass beats and quite eery distant violins, 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Archipelago (MP3 Download)
I don't write many music reviews, nor do I put a huge amount of faith in them because if you like a piece of music enough to review it you will give it five stars, if you don't like it you'll give it one star so the reviews are more a barometer of how popular a piece of music is within its genre. Something I've never worried about.

Which is why I'm reviewing this because a previous review, that I did actually read, on Amazon put me off purchasing this, and now I'm angry because I could've been listening to this sooner! So this only reinforces my view that you shouldn't read reviews.

But if you're still here and you want to know about the music, there's something quite stunning about this one. It's quite wonderfully rich, trippy electro-jazz with some monster bass beats and quite eery distant violins. Sounds impossible? It's not. Great fun.

Chickenfoot III
Chickenfoot III

4.0 out of 5 stars Came Closer, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Chickenfoot III (Audio CD)
I recently bought both III and Van Halen's 'Different Kind Of Truth', and I'm happy to say the 'Foot nails it harder than VH does these days.

It's a music genre that's kind-of passed, we all know that, but the 'Foot seems to be a far and away rooted in the now lyrically and conceptually than VH.

Why not 5 stars? Well for my taste the track 'Three and a half letters' is crass. I get it, but it feels cheap. But hey, I'm sure some people probably feel it speaks. I don't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2012 9:03 AM GMT

Vital Signs
Vital Signs

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the singer AND the song, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Vital Signs (Audio CD)
In the 80s I had a few albums by Survivor (and no, one of them wasn't 'Tiger'!) but for some reason I never had this one. This album is, in my opinion, one of their best.

Having said that, and listening to it with older ears, there are a few tracks that have aged better than others. As other reviewers have pointed out Jamison is quite exceptional and this album underlines it. However, "It's the singer AND the song".

WORLDS COLLIDE
WORLDS COLLIDE

4.0 out of 5 stars More stand-out than put-out, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: WORLDS COLLIDE (Audio CD)
I'm an occasional AOR fan and I can honestly say that I had never heard of Unruly Child. But I had heard of Signal so after researching the connection I gave this a spin.

There are more stand out tracks on here than there are cheesey 80s throw-backs. Some great hooks and the obligatory AOR key changes just where you want them. Definitely worth the investment.

Skyscraper
Skyscraper

4.0 out of 5 stars Damn good times, 11 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Skyscraper (Audio CD)
I bought this album on tape when it came out in 1988 and loved it.
Now with the benefit of old(-er) age I started listening to it again. And I have to say it's still damn good. True there are some cheesey tracks on it (Just a gigolo), some plain bad tracks (Skyscraper) but what's left is a good selection of tracks which makes the album worth buying (Damn good times, Knucklebones, Just like paradise, Hina, Stand up ...).
I'm still not decided whether Diamond Dave or Steve Vai is the real talent but I have to admit they laid down some good tracks during their time together.