Profile for I. Humphrey > Reviews

Content by I. Humphrey

I. Humphrey (Welwyn Garden City, Herts United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Battery for Dell XPS 14 L401X 15 L501X 17 L701X L702X L502X 312-1123 J70W7 JWPHF
Offered by hyd-battery

3.0 out of 5 stars Occasional glitches, Dell warning message, but works adequately for a cheap battery, 28 Jun. 2014
This battery does work in my Dell XPS L702x. However on startup it does report that it doesn't recognise the battery and will be unable to charge it. For ordinary usage it lasts about 1.5 hours. My last battery (the Dell batery that came with the laptop) was of the larger capacity and lasted a little over 2 hours, so I reckon this is okay. While using the battery, however, the machine has turned off without warning on several occasions (perhaps 5 times in a month, mostly when switching users, but occasionally when starting a new application): I wonder whether it can't supply the peak current required by the machine? I normally operate the laptop over mains and I only need the battery for the occasional spell without mains. I think it's fine for this sort of use, but would be hesitant to buy it for longer battery-only use. But genuine Dell batteries are very expensive!

Xtra-Funky Exclusive Aztec Tribal Mexican Patterned Plastic Hard Case Cover Shell For Apple iPhone 3G & 3GS (APPLE iPHONE 3G - 3GS, A4 DESIGN)
Offered by Xtra-Funky Ltd (VAT Registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Case could be better but the vendor is responsive., 28 Feb. 2014
The pattern on the case is not hard wearing but the vendor is excellent to deal with. They very quickly provided a replacement case when we pointed out the problem.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case but it needs to be removed for walking directions, 28 Feb. 2014
This is a thin case that does not add too much bulk, and has a high quality feel. Because it is magnetic it will interfere with walking directions (not driving directions), so you need to remove the case. The SD card slot is obscured by the case: I'm not sure whether this is positive or negative!

Golds Gym Men's Chinning Bar Other Accessories - Black
Golds Gym Men's Chinning Bar Other Accessories - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bar that does not need to be screwed in, 28 Feb. 2014
I wanted a bar for my daughter to practice gym routines and develop her strength (chinning) at home. We didn't want to screw anything in to the door frame and wanted something that we could trust to be safe. This fits our requirements almost perfectly. If you do it up tightly enough it will not budge. A large adult can chin without problems and my daughter has done all sorts of vigorous routines on it. It has only failed once when my daughter failed to check with us after repositioning the bar. Fortunately there was no serious harm but this taught her to always check with us before using the bar after repositioning. On the negative side, it will leave black marks on the door frame and may take some paint off: Our door frame is old enough that this doesn't worry us.

WD TV Live Media Player
WD TV Live Media Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Unstable and unable to play VOB files over a network, 28 Feb. 2014
The unit is subject to frequent freezes, long delays and requires enormous bandwidth to play VOB files. I wanted a replacement for my classic Xbox which had been set up in XBMC mode and was a superlative media player, aside from its inability to play HD media. The WDTV Live did not live up to its promise. It does play most formats, but it is very buggy and inefficient. When changing functionality (e.g. netflix to network player) the unit more often than not will freeze and require a reboot. If it has been a while since booting it is very slow to respond. Because it takes so long to reboot this is a big problem. To be fair, freezes are very rare once the unit starts playing a file. The unit is very slow when compiling a library from network storage, and compiling a library is pointless because it frequently loses all the information it has previously spent aeons compiling. The unit is incapable of playing VOB files over anything other than a hardwired ethernet link. Even a solid ethernet-over-mains link is not sufficient. It will play DVD ISO files perfectly over even a poor wireless link, so it is something to do with the efficiency with which it processes VOB files. If services like netflix are not so important to you and you are more interested in accessing files stored on Network Attached Storage I would recommend you try the Raspberry Pi as a media player. The Raspberry Pi also comes with a full version of Mathematica, which is a big bonus. Perhaps a hacked Apple TV box is the real answer for a complete media player?

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great satnav, but not perfect in glare, 28 April 2013
In spite of the generally good reviews, I was nervous about this purchase. However the reviews seem accurate. I bought from cyber trend, who are responsive and supplied the kit with the requested us and uk maps. I have tried it on a long trip to unfamiliar territory in the Peak District and it was perfect. The only niggle is that it is difficult, but not impossible, to see the screen in bright conditions. The mount is better than the one I got with my Tom Tom and I think I like the mapping software better than the Tom Tom. For the price of the Tom Tom us maps we get a whole new satnav, which will be very useful in our household.

GGS III Glass LCD Screen Protector for Canon 550D T2i
GGS III Glass LCD Screen Protector for Canon 550D T2i
Offered by 2012street

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for use with clip-on viewfinder, 9 Dec. 2012
I bought this to use with a clip-on viewfinder: I didn't want to glue the metal frame to the camera itself. It does the job well. It was cheap, and very easy to install. It also seems to resist marking more than the canon screen itself. It does flap a little at the bottom, but unlike other reviewers this does not bother me in the slightest.

2.8X LCD View Finder Viewer Extender V2 for Canon 550D Nikon D90
2.8X LCD View Finder Viewer Extender V2 for Canon 550D Nikon D90
Offered by BV-electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but buy the cheaper viewfinder, 9 Dec. 2012
The Canon 550D is capable of taking great videos, but this is often impractical because the subject can be viewed only through the rear LCD (so it is difficult to focus and difficult to see in bright ambient light - e.g. sunshine). This makes a viewfinder essential for movie-making. It also makes the recording process more discrete in dark auditoriums.

This viewfinder does the job. But it is fairly elementary. It has no eyepiece adjustment, so it might be unusable for those who wear glasses. It is held to the frame by magnets. One of these magnets fell out after a few moments use. It was easy enough to glue this magnet back in, but this tells you something about the build quality and quality control. Some others have complained that the viewfinder is easily dislodged. In my very brief use I have not found this to be the case.

In light of all this, while this product is okay, I would be tempted to buy the cheaper viewfinder that can be found on Amazon.

BLACK, 1.2m iPhone 3.5mm Audio and USB Dock Cable, AUX, Charge and play In-car music through Car Stereo at the same time, Use at home, portable, or car stereo to listen to high quality line-out audio, USB 3.5mm In-Car AUX Audio/Charger Cable For Apple iPod / iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4G / iPad 1 / iPad 2 (Part of the GoGadgets® Range)
Offered by Allske

4.0 out of 5 stars reliable connection with iphone 3g and good sound output, 24 Aug. 2012
I use this for an iphone 3g with a broken headphone jack. It works very well, with a solid connection and good sound quality. I have not used the USB connector.

Griffin Universal Direct Deck Cassette Adapter - Black
Griffin Universal Direct Deck Cassette Adapter - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but treble heavy, 24 Aug. 2012
This is less susceptible to noise than my previous cassette adaptor (a Sony), but is very treble heavy. This is probably good for my primary purpose, audio books, because it helps it cut through background car noise - but it is not so good for music. Otherwise this appears to be a reliable unit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3