Profile for LalaB > Reviews

LalaB (Ireland)

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

1.0 out of 5 stars Only memorable for being a very irritating read, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
Like other reviewers, I really didn't like this book, my main bug-bear being the annoying language used from the viewpoint of a five year old boy. The incessant use of names such as Room, Table, Rug, Wardrobe, Meltedy Spoon etc really grated on my nerves, to the point where I mentally added a "the" before each word just to get through the text. I speed-read many passages. The lack of consistency in using the babytalk also really annoyed me. That a child using phrases such as "fasterer" and "I knowed it" could also master the grammatically challenging "hippopotami" was unrealistic and, well, yes! bloody annoying! I agree with another reviewer that "the great escape" was not realistic, interesting or well described. There was no cliff-hanging anticipation to see what would happen. I really didn't care. The attempts by the author to create moments of anticipation - such as wondering what "wanting some" meant - were distracting and weak efforts at holding the reader's attention in the absence of anything else in the book that would.

The concept had good potential and is topical given the number of "Fritzl" cases that have come to light lately but its execution was, at best, disappointing. Both covers and inside the book are plastered with glowing reviews, one of which compares it to The Lovely Bones, which does an injustice to the latter novel.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2011 1:30 PM BST

In Custody
In Custody
by Anita Desai

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought it would never end, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: In Custody (Paperback)
I hated this book. I thought it would never end. I have never disliked a main character as much as I did Deven, the selfish, weak, pathetic dullard that he is. I don't understand other reviewers' comments that the book was humourous. I found the entire thing extremely frustrating and unfulfilling.

Lucky
Lucky
by Alice Sebold

4.0 out of 5 stars Alice Sebold, Lucky, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Lucky (Paperback)
I purchased this having read the excellent The Lovely Bones and was glad that I did. Sebold's narrative of her rape, the court case and their lasting effect on her was graphic, shocking, to the point and relatively unemotional (i.e. she wasn't wallowing in self-pity). Despite the subject matter, I enjoyed the read and would recommend it to others.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars One Day - excellent read, 27 April 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
On my first foray into Amazon, I purchased this book on the back of the recommendations and positive reviews it received (victim of advertising!)

It was one of the best novels I've read in a long time. Very funny in parts, poignant in others; well-written using a format - the same day, 15 July, each year - that interestingly works, providing the reader with the information (s)he needs, whilst leaving him/her wanting more at the end of each chapter.

I'd highly recommend it.

Canada (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Canada (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Karla Zimmerman

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Canada, 3 Jan. 2010
found this book relatively good but not as good, say, as the Australia, version. Very happy with service and delivery time from seller though.