Profile for T. J. Stickland > Reviews

Content by T. J. Stickland

T. J. Stickland "tomstickland" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Communicate
Communicate

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of acquired taste., 24 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Communicate (Audio CD)
I can understand why many feel disappointed with this mix. I was when I first listened to it. I put it on the shelf and left it.

About 6 months later, after a few beers, I listened to it again and started to realise what it was all about. Since then it's grown into a firm favourite. Not 5 star Euphoria like maybe people expect after the Renaissance cds, but it's not another GU or Renaissance mix.

So,maybe not the best they've ever done but still way ahead of the rest.

Seventh Wave
Seventh Wave
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on your mood., 2 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Seventh Wave (Audio CD)
At first this album seemed a bit stark, but it has some great tracks on it. It's 2am and I'm a bit drunk now and I'm listening to track 4, soft rain, and it's a System 7 masterpiece. Floaty guitar sounds taking me to a higher plane or something like that. Great stuff.

Arular
Arular

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much cop really., 31 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Arular (Audio CD)
I bought this a good while back, listened to it a bit, and then wondered whether it would grow on me.
I listened to it again recently and, actually, it's just not very good. Bucky Gun Done is all you need.

Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Blimmin' good, 27 Aug. 2005
This review is from: 2112 (Audio CD)
This is my first Rush purchase and I've only listened to it for a few days.
I really like it. The album sounds really clean and simple and direct, not quite like prog as I know it. But it is prog. Sort of harder rock prog I suppose, without the twiddly bits that often sound really dated now.
I'm keen to move onto more of the albums now I've heard this.

Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good pop/rock album, but not Yes, 22 Aug. 2005
This review is from: 90125 (Audio CD)
Owner of lonely heart is a great song, made even better by Jon Anderson singing it rather than Rabin.
I've heard the Rabin solo "bonus" tracks on the remastered CD and don't like them.
This album is interesting in that you can see what the members of Yes and Horn managed to do to the Rabin ideas to make them half palatable. There are four other tracks that stand out as good pop songs on this album: Hold On, It Can Happen, Leave it and Our song.
Apart from that I really don't like it much. Not because it's bad per se, just because Yes are/were capable of so much more. I'm all for changes in direction, and they could have gone off in radically different directions. Instead they seem to have taken a lazy option. There are occasional frightening moments which sound like any generic 80s soft rock. Too polished and shiny and lacking any real grit.
It's better than Tormato I suppose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2012 10:46 PM BST

2.0 out of 5 stars A few good songs, but it's not Yes at their best., 22 Aug. 2005
This review is from: 90125 (Audio CD)
Owner of a lonely heart is a very good pop/rock song that is given that extra something by Jon Anderson's voice and the way the song lifts towards the end.
Apart from that it's really not a compelling Yes album. It's all very professional and polished, with some good, nay great, pop songs on it. I could listen to Anderson all day, so that rescues some of it.
However, after listening to some of the pretty poor Rabin solo bonus tracks I came to the conclusion that he was a bad thing for Yes. I squarely blame him for the inclusion of horrible AOR style pop/rock guitar nastiness.
They could have made a 4 track EP from this album and that would be have fine.
This was my first Yes purchase, but once I'd tried Touching the Edge, Relayer and Going for the one, this quickly fell to the bottom of the list.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2014 11:41 AM BST

Foxtrot (Remastered)
Foxtrot (Remastered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangeley unlovable., 22 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
I've owned pretty much all of the Genesis albums at one time or another, but I find this one strangely unloveable. I think it's "Get 'em out by Friday" that annoys me; if someone could convince me that they were not being serious then I might be able to like it, but the lyrics concern me. It's all a bit, well, naff. Watcher of the skies is OK. I like Timetable for it's simplicity .Can Utilies and Coastliners is a great workout.
Suppers Ready has some great moments and on the whole I like it. Having said that, some of the sections would not be considered all that good on their own. It makes up for it with the closing sections, the Apocalypse in 9/8 and onwards.

Tormato
Tormato

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 13 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Tormato (Audio CD)
I'm a recent explorer of the Yes albums and this was my 5th purchase. (I started with Close to the Edge, then Going for the one, then 901whatever, then Relayer).
My first impression was that this was a dissapointing album. However, after a number of listens this has really grown on me and I like it a lot. The last track (track 8 on the original album) really is worth it.
It sounds a lot more clean and crisp than Going for the one. Quite a change really. Going for the one still sounds like expansive, slightly over indulgent prog rock. This sounds more dry and less prog. Sometimes anyway.
So, worth having, but start with Going for the One and Close to the Edge first.

Tour De France
Tour De France
Offered by olympusmusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it., 2 April 2005
This review is from: Tour De France (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to this the first five tracks brought tears of joy to my eyes. This was house music. But with an idea behind it. The paralles between the music and the rythmn and repetition of the stages. I like it. The tune (which some complain is repeated) gets treated slightly differently with each Etape. It's gradually dismantled until it finally ends up with a classic Krawfwerk sequence that could be best described as organised noise. Great stuff.
Similarly, I loved "Aerodynamik". The words to this are wonderful. Kraftwerk as good as they've ever been.
The album tails off a bit towards the end for me. The first half is worth 5 stars. The last bit is not.

Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)
Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really stunning album in a low key sort of way., 5 Feb. 2005
After the big hit "At the river" you might write Groove Armada off as a dance lite easy listening crossover one hit wonder.
Well, that's what I did.
But then I heard this album by accident when I friend played it one day. I immediately took it home for a proper listen on a decent system. It's gorgeous. Quite stripped out and sparse, but there's some wonderful sounds in it. A bit like Stereolab or Zero Seven in some aspects, it contains vocalists and makes me feel good. Good work has been done on the essential drums and bass and it is definitely dance music. Really, really a lot better than I ever expected.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6