Profile for Anya-Louise King > Reviews

Anya-Louise King

In the Flesh
In the Flesh

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignantly Penned, 4 Oct. 2002
This review is from: In the Flesh (Audio CD)
I am writing this review 12 years after the album was actually recorded, and from a very personal viewpoint. I was a backing singer on the song 'Hollywood Lines', featured here, when I was only eight years old. Roy was my step-father and mentor and so persuaded me to sing. I wasn't involved in the rest of the album, but I remember my mother frantically trying to
publicise it in her native Germany.
The album oozes lyrics of a tortured, perhaps failed poet, which Roy (he wouldn't let me call him dad) conveyed through near-spoken melodies. This lead him to palpable comparisons with Lou Reed and maybe even a little Leonard Cohen, both of whom were good friends of his.
Each song has the brilliant riffs of the gifted Dutchman, Robin Berlyn and Wishbone Ash's experienced bassist, Martin Turner who also produced and recorded it in his own studio in SW London. From the opening track, you can hear the intensity creeping out of every pore. Most of the songs were written about his women, most honestly in 'Love Takes it All'. The words will make you want to cry and join in, as they ring so true. This can be equally said for 'We the People', an anthem of lazy drums and arpeggios, making way for the powerful yet somehow gentle melody.
Roy's songs aren't exactly radio or mass-friendly, but nevertheless they ensue an insight to Roy's druid soul which captured my young mind and initiated a long line of devotion to guitar-fueled music. Please enjoy it. It's what he lived for.