Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Mr. K. D. Perry > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. D. Perry

Mr. K. D. Perry

Doc Martin - Series 4 - Complete [DVD]
Doc Martin - Series 4 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Clunes
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Par for the course., 7 May 2010
I bought this itemw for my daughter-in-law in Australia,having myself seen it some time earlier. As an episode separate from the 4 sequential Series it is an up to standard,enjoyable,& viewer repeatable item in its own right. But a viewer needs to have seen the basic Series to fully be able to enjoy it.

Judith Paris (Herries Chronicles)
Judith Paris (Herries Chronicles)
by Hugh Walpole

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for a research read, 1 Oct. 2009
I bought this book because on holiday this year I discovered Watendlath & found it & the Lakes were a background to Hugh Walpole's novels. In the 1930s I was aware of Walpole as a popular novelist,but never read him,having the general imprtession that his stories were of Cathedral Closes& Victorian Provincials. But even then I noticed his novels had ceased to be library borrowed. So in 2009 I wanted to see what he had made of the Lake District as background.

The critics about him weree right. He is far too long winded & simply took advantage of the demand of the then Rent Book Libraries with thir readers the unfortunate million women who were deprived of normal family life because their men fell in WW1. That HW was gay,ironically, perhaps enabled him to write satisfyingly for them without causing anguish..

So if you love the Lake District HW is OK;but not otherwise. I have also bought "Rogue Herries" & this review can go for that as well. I shall not buy the last 2 Herries novels,but this is because I have far too much reading to do - a minor penalty of being now 91.

William the Conqueror
William the Conqueror
by David R Bates

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for the Ignoramus, 21 Aug. 2009
This review is from: William the Conqueror (Paperback)
I expected great things from this book as I had never read a full scale biography of the Conqueror. But I was taken in by the arresting extract of the opening page. I thought I was going to learn a lot more about William's mother & upbringing. But I did'nt. What followed set the whole tone of the book by the repetitive phrase "We do not really know..." In short I foumd I already knew as much about William as the author. In compensation I realised that,over many years,I had picked up in a fragmentasry way all that is known about William's story.
The author's style is acceptable and competent. This is a good book for those who do not know anything about William The Conqueror.
Indeed for them it could be an absorbing story. But for me.

Couples
Couples
by John Updike

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncoupled, 5 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Couples (Hardcover)
I've never been a John Updike fan & one should'nt speak ill of a recent dead,but the huge tributes made me feel I had missed out. So I am giving JU another go, buying as Critic recommended,Couples & 2 Rabbits. I've ploughed through Couples,but it was an effort,far too boring if accurate descriptions of Sixties
small town New England & over dissected domestic sex. For me it was second class James Joyce. I am finding my first Rabbit much better. But Oh JU methinks thou didst write too much.

Doc Martin - The Edge - Feature Length Special (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Clunes

5.0 out of 5 stars Well up to standard, 18 Jan. 2009
I bought this DVD expecting a let down,but was delighted. I hope there will be more one offs by different writers who can bring in fresh plots and new minor characters while remaining faithful to the basic formula and not airbrushing out the major characters.